Remember Bob Kalsu

dock581

On this Veterans Day Bills fans should especially remember Bob Kalsu. Bob was the only U.S. professional athlete to die in Viet Nam. He is memorialized  on the Bills Wall of Fame and his life and career  documented with a cover story on Sports Illustrated in 2001 .

Bob was an All American tackle at Oklahoma and became a starting guard for the Bills in 1968. He was voted the teams top rookie but enlisted at the end of the season. Tragically, he was killed in Vietnam in 1970

This summer I donated my sailboat to a Buffalo waterfront organization a group which teaches veterans, handicapped and underprivileged children how to sail and be safe on the water. When asked what I  wanted to name the boat , as a Bills fan since 1948, I immediately thought naming it for a Bill  might mean something to these kids. After some thought I decided if they named the boat the Kalsu  that might be something that could bring to light a forgotten Bills hero who had given his life for our country. This group does outstanding work bringing joy and maturity to a group of kids and others who otherwise might never have the fun enjoying the water that has been such a big part of many of our lives. If any of you are interested in supporting the memory of Bob Kalsu they can be reached at http://www.buffalocommunityboathouse.org

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 8

5 minutes ago, dock581 said:

On this Veterans Day Bills fans should especially remember Bob Kalsu. Bob was the only U.S. professional athlete to die in Viet Nam. He is memorialized  on the Bills Wall of Fame and his life and career  documented with a cover story on Sports Illustrated in 2001 .

Bob was an All American tackle at Oklahoma and became a starting guard for the Bills in 1968. He was voted the teams top rookie but enlisted at the end of the season. Tragically, he was killed in Vietnam in 1970

This is a great tribute to Bob Kalsu, and I really do appreciate this!

Just to note, Veterans Day is to celebrate the living servicemembers who have served this nation and it often mixed up with Memorial Day, which is to memorialize those servicemembers no longer with us.

For Canadians, the UK, Australia, New Zealand and others, it is Remembrance Day because World War I ended on this day and so many of their servicemembers were lost and wear a poppy for it, including my great uncle.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Agree 6

• 4 months later...

As a war veteran myself, I have a huge soft spot for those who served, especially those who served and paid the price.  

I think about Kelso every Memorial Day.  He could have gotten a deferment and didn't.  Wanted to serve and truly cared about his men.  I'm proud he was a Bill.  

I'm so happy to see he's got a statue.  Kalsu is exactly the kind of person that ought to be honored with a statue.  I never liked seeing statues dedicated to Confederate, slave-holding traitors.  And I'm not happy with some of the people we lionize and valorize these days.  As a country, we need the right heroes - selfless, caring, honor and duty-bound guys like Bob Kalsu. 

Btw, I love BBFL's idea about a special section at Canton for players who served.   

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Thanks so much for posting this. I had not known about it and I will forward this great information to the group to which I donated my sailboat which will proudly carry it ‘s new name the Kalsu!

• Awesome! (+1) 2