Bennett HS (Buffalo)

Buffalo716

Buffalo has always had a lot of talent in the area but couldn't always maintain it.. lots of talent flunked out or kicked out etc

McDuffie has done a tremendous job with the young men of buffalo giving them a stable figure and guidance

Bringing the second inner city school in Buffalo to win a state championship and they want another 

He is keeping young men in school, making them get HS diplomas and has had many kids played college football including D1

Good luck in the playoffs 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo has always had a lot of talent in the area but couldn't always maintain it.. lots of talent flunked out or kicked out etc

McDuffie has done a tremendous job with the young men of buffalo giving them a stable figure and guidance

Bringing the first inner city school in Buffalo to win a state championship and they want another 

He is keeping young men in school, making them get HS diplomas and has had many kids played college football including D1

Good luck in the playoffs 

My parents went to Bennett in the 50s. My father got kicked out. I never thought to ask him why. 

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Wasn't there a rule changed that allowed Buffalo kids to play on whatever team they wanted?  Pretty sure that has been the reason why Bennett is good, not McDuffie.

Also, McDuffie does not have a good reputation within WNY HS football.

First there's some people don't like anything or anybody 

Second Steve McDuffie has a great reputation in Buffalo by people that know him... Has been nominated for national coach of the year

Has won State coach of the year..  keeps kids in School... Helps kids graduate .. helps keep kids off the street

Has sent plenty of kids to college for a further education and to play sports

The city of buffalo has some of the roughest areas in the country..  some of the lowest graduation rates in the country..  he keeps kids in school and graduating

Also if it was that easy then every Buffalo public School should be able to put together a super team... McKinley struggles as does Tech and burgard

having a perennial powerhouse and the best AA football team in New York state is a tremendous achievement

It literally takes a lot to keep kids who are potentially going to go to gangs, in school and off the street..  McDuffie has done a lot for the city of buffalo 

It's silly to come in here and bash what he has done for the program and the kids of buffalo over 20 years

He has changed so many kids lives

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

First there's some people don't like anything

Second Steve McDuffie has a great reputation in Buffalo by people that know him... Has been nominated for national coach of the year

Has won State coach of the year..  keeps kids in School... Helps kids graduate .. helps keep kids off the street

Has sent plenty of kids to college for a further education and to play sports

The east side is some of the roughest areas in the country..  some of the lowest graduation rates in the country..  he keeps kids in school and graduating

Also if it was that easy then every Buffalo public School should be able to put together a super team... A city going from never having a state champion

To having a perennial powerhouse and the best double a football team in New York state is a tremendous achievement

It literally takes a lot to keep kids who are potentially going to go to gangs in school and off the street..  McDuffie has done a lot for the city of buffalo 

It's silly to come in here and bash what he has done for the program

When did I bash him?  He literally had wins taken away for cheating, and that was just the one time he was caught.

You never answered my question though.  Wasn't there a rule change that allowed all the top athletes to go to one school?  Isn't the pool not equal?  Like I feel like in Lancaster, OP, Jamestown, etc, they can only have kids that play in those districts.  I think for Bennett, they can get kids from any Buffalo school.  Like Hutch Tech now is terrible and I heard its because those kids play for Bennett now.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

When did I bash him?  He literally had wins taken away for cheating, and that was just the one time he was caught.

You never answered my question though.  Wasn't there a rule change that allowed all the top athletes to go to one school?  Isn't the pool not equal?  Like I feel like in Lancaster, OP, Jamestown, etc, they can only have kids that play in those districts.  I think for Bennett, they can get kids from any Buffalo school.  Like Hutch Tech now is terrible and I heard its because those kids play for Bennett now.

It was a clerical error that got Bennett's  wins taken away

A procedural error ..  with paperwork with a kid transferring over 

And yes technically every single Buffalo high schooler has to chose a HS... It's not like how Lancaster kids go to Lancaster... You have always had to apply for Buffalo City high schools

They all have to apply to the city schools ... So a kid going into the 9th grade can apply to Bennett or tech  or city honors etc

Obviously a lot harder to get in the city honors then Bennett... So yes he is getting a monopoly on the best local talent in 9th grade... Pretty sure Hutch and Emerson and city honors also merged their football team...  Bennett merged with East and olmstead which obviously helped

But even the best A&b schools are recruiting now... 

Sweet home has been known to recruit 

Everything changed when the Harvard cup ended... That was the prestigious Buffalo public School cup which was not federation and they were not allowed to play for state championships...

Now they are federation

And every kid still has to apply to every Buffalo high School and get accepted... Some tougher than others and they are in different classifications now

Bennett isn't hard to get into and they have the best HS coach in Buffalo and play AA ball... The only other buffalo city school in AA is Hutch tech ... Which is more an academic school 

It's like Georgia recruiting vs Duke

But the Harvard cup was the most prestigious football cup in Buffalo for over a hundred years... The city cared more about crowning a city champion then going to state... Which kind of evened the field between the city high schools over 10 years spans

When they went federation it did change the playing field...

Now the only AA options are Tech or Bennett... And tech is more academic

A option is McKinley

B option is South Park , burgard rn

South Park did win a state championship in federation but quickly declined... McKinley can't really get a footing in class A

Everybody in New York state said Bennett going AA was a mistake... That they can't hang with Lancaster and orchard Park... They can't keep up with graduation rates... They won't have the depth... Nobody believed besides the community

I would cheer for Lancaster any other time in the playoffs... But nobody gave the boys from Bennett a chance a decade ago

It's a great story 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very nice post. As a former Canisius player (who got recruited) who loves his school, it is nice to see kids playing for their city school and “making it out.”

Georgia came to Bennett high School last year to watch a freshman play

He's certainly putting kids in a very good positions to succeed in life academically and athletically 

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very nice post. As a former Canisius player (who got recruited) who loves his school, it is nice to see kids playing for their city school and “making it out.”

Canisius has also built an amazing program over 10-15 years 

One of the top programs in New York state independent of school classification

Western New York high School football is buzzing

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Any local talent on the national radar?

WNY in general or Bennett?

Bennett has A good amount over all 4 classes (fresh-SR)

He has been putting out division 1 talent for 5 straight years

Georgia came to Bennett practice last year to watch a freshman...

But yes WNY has been upping the talent recently... Kids from WNY routinely commit to UB or SU or Pitt etc

Edited by Buffalo716

On 11/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Congratulations to Bennett and Lancaster on great seasons 

But Bennett has too much ... Good luck  to Bennett moving forward 

It'll be interesting this week, can Bennett knock of Rochester's McQuaid (5 straight sectional AA titles) again this year, for I think would be the third time in a row? I have Bennett as being the lone Section VI winner (maybe class D too) against Section V teams for HS football.

15 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

It'll be interesting this week, can Bennett knock of Rochester's McQuaid (5 straight sectional AA titles) again this year, for I think would be the third time in a row? I have Bennett as being the lone Section VI winner (maybe class D too) against Section V teams for HS football.

I say yes ... I will be there 

And yes maybe clyner/Sherman/panama has a chance in D game 

Bennett is just too much , the best public team in NYS hands down...  He has legitimately 5 D1 players on the roster 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Your Brown Eye

Clymer destroys section 5 champs 

I figured, that's why I threw that in as another possible win for Section VI, class D was not impressive for section V, I just knew very little about class D in section VI. Although Class A East High put a 42-7 whooping on Section 6 Class A rep. Section Vi took down V in class C which is surprising, I thought LeRoy had a great team, hats off to Salamanca. Section V won the 8-man game pretty handily. I do not know the class B score (Monroe vs Health Science), but whoever wins will have their hands full with Maine-Endwell.

Edited by Your Brown Eye
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I figured, that's why I threw that in as another possible win for Section VI, class D was not impressive for section V, I just knew very little about class D in section VI. Although Class A East High put a 42-7 whooping on Section 6 Class A rep. Section Vi took down V in class C which is surprising, I thought LeRoy had a great team, hats off to Salamanca. Section V won the 8-man game pretty handily. I do not know the class B score (Monroe vs Health Science), but whoever wins will have their hands full with Maine-Endwell.

8-7 Bennett rn

Gonna be a hell of a game 

41 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@SUNY_amherst

Here's Suny crusade

Because he has nothing better to do 

@Back2Buff

Dude he literally follows all my posts and just gives them thumbs down

what's wrong with Bennett high School being good for the City of Buffalo .. and getting kids into college

He's been doing this for a year

He's angry because he's not allowed to post in the UB thread anymore

Edited by Buffalo716

I don’t know anything about the Bennett head coach or the School superintendent. But i saw the Onondaga Sherrif body cam video, and that was flat out embarrassing for Bennett (and for Buffalo as they are representing the city). Act like leaders and professionals for goodness sakes.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don’t know anything about the Bennett head coach or the School superintendent. But i saw the Onondaga Sherrif body cam video, and that was flat out embarrassing for Bennett (and for Buffalo as they are representing the city). Act like leaders and professionals for goodness sakes.

Listen that certainly was not a good moment for the city

But McDuffie is changing young children's lives... Children who thought they had no escape out of the inner city..  are now going to college on scholarships

It all sparked during a timeout, when Bennett huddled up on the field with coaches , and were given a penalty

Christian Brothers was huddled up with their coaches also and did not receive a penalty

That made the superintendent mad who ran out onto the field...

Yes not a good look

But he's the best coach in Western New York and he is taking kids from the inner city and giving them hope... Even keeping these kids to graduate high school is a achievement

• Dislike 1

https://www.syracuse.com/highschoolsports/2023/12/strong-emotions-body-cam-video-what-we-know-about-cba-bennett-football-drama.html

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen that certainly was not a good moment for the city

But McDuffie is changing young children's lives... Children who thought they had no escape out of the inner city..  are now going to college on scholarships

It all sparked during a timeout, when Bennett huddled up on the field with coaches , and were given a penalty

Christian Brothers was huddled up with their coaches also and did not receive a penalty

That made the superintendent mad who ran out onto the field...

Yes not a good look

But he's the best coach in Western New York and he is taking kids from the inner city and giving them hope... Even keeping these kids to graduate high school is 

Had to look up the story.  That's  a really bad look for the coach and especially the superintendent.

I ref hs sports and did the state quarters last year.  The article has the rule right a out protests needing to be on the spot and for misapplication of rules only.  

Teams reflect coaches and those 2 running on the field is poor leadership Imo.  Hopefully it's a humbling learning experience but the quotes in the article do not paint him in a great light.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, section122 said:

https://www.syracuse.com/highschoolsports/2023/12/strong-emotions-body-cam-video-what-we-know-about-cba-bennett-football-drama.html

Had to look up the story.  That's  a really bad look for the coach and especially the superintendent.

I ref hs sports and did the state quarters last year.  The article has the rule right a out protests needing to be on the spot and for misapplication of rules only.  

Teams reflect coaches and those 2 running on the field is poor leadership Imo.  Hopefully it's a humbling learning experience but the quotes in the article do not paint him in a great light.

Sure it's not a good moment

But when you look at the graduation rates for Buffalo public high schools... Then look what McDuffie has done with his students over the last decade

Graduating his football players above an expected rate... Getting them into division 1 colleges

And competing with Lancaster and orchard Park which nobody in section 6 said was possible...

He's changing children's lives..  nobody else in section 6 has changed as many children's lives as he has

Bennett is one of the best Cinderella stories in the country.... What he has done over the last decade is unprecedented around the country

And he has been recognized around America for what he has done for the inner city of Buffalo as a football Coach and mentor

You can't hate on a man who's changed children's lives...  And has done what people said was impossible in Western New York

Building an inner city school into a section 6 powerhouse

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Dislike 1

Congratulations to Christian Brothers for winning the AA state championship

There were some here who said it was unfair that Bennett got to choose from a large selection of city kids... Yet nobody mentions Christian Brothers is a private School playing in public ball

Congratulations , they certainly were the best team in New York AA this year 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 12/3/2023 at 6:14 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Congratulations to Christian Brothers for winning the AA state championship

There were some here who said it was unfair that Bennett got to choose from a large selection of city kids... Yet nobody mentions Christian Brothers is a private School playing in public ball

Congratulations , they certainly were the best team in New York AA this year 

We played them when I was in hs and they joined our league.  We were class c and needless to say they destroyed us in everything lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

I didn’t do anything against the rules.

I am allowed to disagree with you. Especially when you make the claim that the football coach of Bennett/Olmsted/Middle Early/East high school has “done more for Western NY” than anyone in history

you have some growing up to do, grown men can disagree

Of course you can and I have been very cordial to you 

Even saying you can post anything of worth in the UB thread and you are very much welcome to share 

And I never said he has done more than anyone in WNY history... I said he is the premier coach in Buffalo and is changing kids lives 

The city has some of the worst graduation rates In the country... And he has 50 players graduating above rate 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.