We're overhyping the Bengals

Success

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

The Bengals offense wasnt remotely close vs the Ravens or the Cardinals.  The 49ers game was the 1st in which Burrow looked healthy and they actually took snaps under center and opened up the playbook.  

I absolutely agree with this; " Im just not ready to say they've righted the ship based on one game."  The Bills will be a very tough test to see if we have truly turned the corner.

And Nick Wright says Allen is a roller coaster.

I’ve thought all-off-season that Burrow got no flack for the 2 Interceptions he threw against Kansas City (the second one was a deep ball that died on its way to Higgins in the AFCCG) and his offense had multiple chances in the 4th to take the lead and he couldn’t get it done.  

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’ve thought all-off-season that Burrow got no flack for the 2 Interceptions he threw against Kansas City (the second one was a deep ball that died on its way to Higgins in the AFCCG) and his offense had multiple chances in the 4th to take the lead and he couldn’t get it done.  

Gotta love Nick Wrong.  At least he isnt biased.....

He sh!ts on Josh Allen more than any player and he is scared of the Bengals.

The 1st interception Higgins did not cut inside the safety, he said it was his fault.  
The 2nd interception was hitting Tee in stride in the belly and the DB made a great play with the tip. 

You act as if you havent seen truly bad interceptions before?

I'll also add the refs giving KC a do over after a 3rd down stop didnt help, along with other refs doing refs things in KC and our terrible punter.  I was disheartened at how bad the offense became when Boyd went down.

Nick Wright won’t admit it but his constant belittling of Allen is coming from a place of fear. Wright knows that Allen is the only QB who could dethrone Mahomes and it’s why he shows more respect to Burrow, Herbert, Hurts and so on… he knows those guys don’t have the ability to threaten Mahomes standing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Gotta love Nick Wrong.  At least he isnt biased.....

He sh!ts on Josh Allen more than any player and he is scared of the Bengals.

The 1st interception Higgins did not cut inside the safety, he said it was his fault.  
The 2nd interception was hitting Tee in stride in the belly and the DB made a great play with the tip. 

You act as if you havent seen truly bad interceptions before?

I'll also add the refs giving KC a do over after a 3rd down stop didnt help, along with other refs doing refs things in KC and our terrible punter.  I was disheartened at how bad the offense became when Boyd went down.

Earlier in the year I thought Burrow had become more predictable.

It was the same thing we’ve seen, underneath passes, and when he sees 1-1 on the outside he throws deep, the Seattle interception was this. 

And Boyd has been a steady 7-9 targets in all games this year. 

The problem of course is Chase on short throws underneath, especially out of the slot. 

The Seattle game was strange because the calf was healthy and the Bengals went silent in the second half, again multiple chances to score.

Seattle has much more speed at corner than the Bills, so no getting around that. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Earlier in the year I thought Burrow had become more predictable.

It was the same thing we’ve seen, underneath passes, and when he sees 1-1 on the outside he throws deep, the Seattle interception was this. 

And Boyd has been a steady 7-9 targets in all games this year. 

The problem of course is Chase on short throws underneath, especially out of the slot. 

The Seattle game was strange because the calf was healthy and the Bengals went silent in the second half, again multiple chances to score.

Seattle has much more speed at corner than the Bills, so no getting around that. 

"Burrow was healthy vs Seattle", is only stated on this message board.  He wasnt.

We had the same limited playbook as the previous games, no under center, no play action, no roll outs, no QB draws, etc. 

Inability to go under center severely limits the run game, RPO, and play action.

Seahawks young CBs are very solid. 

I have no idea what to expect from the Bills.  

10 minutes ago, julian said:

Nick Wright won’t admit it but his constant belittling of Allen is coming from a place of fear. Wright knows that Allen is the only QB who could dethrone Mahomes and it’s why he shows more respect to Burrow, Herbert, Hurts and so on… he knows those guys don’t have the ability to threaten Mahomes standing.

Wright is just following in the steps of Bayless.   Allen is kind of his Lebron.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Caesar said:

"Burrow was healthy vs Seattle", is only stated on this message board.  He wasnt.

We had the same limited playbook as the previous games, no under center, no play action, no roll outs, no QB draws, etc. 

Inability to go under center severely limits the run game, RPO, and play action.

Seahawks young CBs are very solid. 

I have no idea what to expect from the Bills.  

Yeah that’s a load.

Bengals fans have been milking that calf injury until the the 49ers game made it convenient. 

Oh look he ran for 43 yards, Joe the athlete is back.

He’s had round the clock treatment on the calf since July, aggravated it (to a lesser degree) against the Ravens. 

Because here is the thing, if he went out there and threw for 300-yards and 3 TDs it would have been look at Joe, what a leader, what a warrior. 

They get by the Seahawks because of their defensive line and the fall back is the calf. 

That went out the window after the Cardinals game. 

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

You are correct in that the Bengals D does not have many accolades, that said:

Hendrickson has the most QB pressures in the last few seasons, (unsure of the numbers), but it's up there.
Hubbard was listed as one of, if not the top, run stopping DE the last 2 years.
DJ Reader is without a doubt one of the best NGs in the league, especially at run stopping.
Wilson and Pratt are becoming an upper tier LB duo.
Hilton is a top nickel corner.
Our young CBs have played very well, Awuzie is still slow off the ACL.
Hill has been really good at safety.  Scott not so much, a rookie has been getting snaps.

This D gives up yards but can be stingy when it comes to points. 

Be that as it may, the point was that there's no reason why their D should be ranked average while ours founders near DFL.  

There's been at least somewhat of an overreaction to a few injuries here.  

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah that’s a load.

Bengals fans have been milking that calf injury until the the 49ers game made it convenient. 

Oh look he ran for 43 yards, Joe the athlete is back.

He’s had round the clock treatment on the calf since July, aggravated it (to a lesser degree) against the Ravens. 

Because here is the thing, if he went out there and threw for 300-yards and 3 TDs it would have been look at Joe, what a leader, what a warrior. 

They get by the Seahawks because of their defensive line and the fall back is the calf. 

That went out the window after the Cardinals game. 

Lol, no.  Actually watch the games.  We had the same limited play book.  We had zero under center, no run game, and all the issues I mentioned before. 

If you dont know the difference in the offensive scheme from Seattle to 2 weeks later in San Francisco just say you didnt watch the games.  It was beyond evident and nonstop mentioned in the post game pressers.  This is actually a silly convo, you couldnt be more wrong.

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

Lol, no.  Actually watch the games.  We had the same limited play book.  We had zero under center, no run game, and all the issues I mentioned before. 

If you dont know the difference in the offensive scheme from Seattle to 2 weeks later in San Francisco just say you didnt watch the games.  It was beyond evident and nonstop mentioned in the post game pressers.  This is actually a silly convo, you couldnt be more wrong.

Actually I do watch the games. 

And talk to Bengals fans down here.

Burrow has had a completely healthy team the entire season. 

Browns, Ravens, Rams, Titans - I give it to you. 

But you’re telling me he was the same Titans to Cardinals/Seattle - still injured? 

Not buying it. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Actually I do watch the games. 

And talk to Bengals fans down here.

Burrow has had a completely healthy team the entire season. 

Our team has been healthy but Burrow hasnt been.  What a weird retort? 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

This is the 1st time I have ever read any DJ Reader negativity.  The guy is touted by many as the absolutely best run NG in the NFL.  We will see how he does Sunday night but he is vital to our defense.

Hole in our secondary?  We have an insane WR rating, it is very good.  Granted we have a safety spot that could be better and for some reason the only TE we ever cover is Kelce...

Bengals D is coming around now that the offense decided to stop breaking 3 & out records.  Allen is a huge test though.

Yes, I misspoke re: Reader.  Per my post to Gunner.  Again, our D isn't much different than theirs but ours has 

I said nothing about a hole in our secondary.  Their secondary is a lot worse than ours.  

My entire point is that the few injuries that we've had aren't enough to send this D to the depths of the rankings or play.  Theirs is average.  

Edited by PBF81

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

Our team has been healthy but Burrow hasnt been.  What a weird retort? 

Titans he couldn’t move, got drilled up the middle, was gunning the calf on the sidelines, and dealing with an elbow.

That died down after that Titans game. 

The Bengals are a defensive team first.

The D is good, all their players are in their prime 27-29. 

Although he’s 22 DJ Turner is also biting into Awozie’s snap count.

They’re a good unit.

The Browns were able to get behind them Week One, but DeShaun couldn’t get the ball there. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Titans he couldn’t move, got drilled up the middle, was gunning the calf on the sidelines, and dealing with an elbow.

That died down after that Titans game. 

You are arguing with one of the most informed Bengals fans you will ever communicate with.  I see and read it all.  Trust me, Burrow was not healthy vs Seattle, our play book is the only evidence you need as an outsider.

You want to live in your own reality?  Feel free, but you look silly to those of us that actually know.   I would never try to correct you guys on Josh's shoulder.... that would be stupid.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You are arguing with one of the most informed Bengals fans you will ever communicate with.  I see and read it all.  Trust me, Burrow was not healthy vs Seattle, our play book is the only evidence you need as an outsider.

You want to live in your own reality?  Feel free, but you look silly to those of us that actually know.   I would never try to correct you guys on Josh's shoulder.... that would be stupid.

Yes because the Bengals are known for the dynamic innovation on the offensive side of the ball.

It’s not like Chris Simms or other national media members have pointed out their static offense. 

I look silly, coming from a Bengals fan on Bills message board who, shock, wasn’t posting here in Weeks 1-4, but sure is now. 

16 minutes ago, Caesar said:

And please, I had to shut off Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham on Bengals Pep Rally at Wings and Rings this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes because the Bengals are known for the dynamic innovation on the offensive side of the ball.

It’s not like Chris Simms or other national media members have pointed out their static offense. 

I look silly, coming from a Bengals fan on Bills message board who, shock, wasn’t posting here in Weeks 1-4, but sure is now. 

And please, I had to shut off Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham on Bengals Pep Rally at Wings and Rings this afternoon. 

I have already complained on this Board about our offensive scheme patheticness, but that has nothing to do with the limited playbook we were using.

I have no reason to post on here Weeks 1-4, it was not our mutual game week.

Hoard and Lap are tremendous homers, I can barely listen to them.    If you ever do listen again, pay attention to Lap asking a question about anything, ie: "Joe Burrow looked good didnt he?", Lap always answers the question prior to whomever can reply... "I mean Burrow was 19-19 to start the game, and he avoided sacks, and ran those draw plays, and he threw for 3 TDs, man he looked good didnt he?"   Our local media is kind of annoying minus a couple guys. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Allen is a roller coaster but so is every QB in the NFL.

It’s a funny meme and there’s some truth that Allen can fluctuate from super high to not so high, but very few QB’s go through a season without some awesome performances and clunkers. Like none of them, unless they are having a historic season.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

This is 100% correct. Sorry. A thumbs up just doesn't cut it. 

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Allen is a roller coaster but so is every QB in the NFL.

It’s a funny meme and there’s some truth that Allen can fluctuate from super high to not so high, but very few QB’s go through a season without some awesome performances and clunkers. Like none of them, unless they are having a historic season.

We just don't speak of Mahomes clunkers even when we all see it at times. Instead the room just goes silent until the next week. 

2 hours ago, julian said:

I used to think that, but over time, it's clear he thinks that person is Burrow. If you want to read my long-winded take on his Allen opinions, here they are:

***Apologies for the Novel in Advance!*** 

He dislikes Allen because Nick doesn't know how to be fluid with his takes. He had Allen as a bust after his rookie year, then thought his Sophomore year solidified that. By the time the COVID season hit, Nick was already set in his opinion about Allen. So when Allen has a season that would win him MVP if it was almost any other year, Nick tried to explain it away & justify that Allen/the Bills were still not a REAL contender.

2021 he continued to double down, comparing him to Davis Mills & Daniel Jones, and only talking about Allen if he made mistakes or had a bad game. And the Bills gave him ammo, choking against the Jags & getting blown out at home vs the Colts. The first time he gave Allen legit credit was after the Chiefs playoff game. That's how long it took for him to admit Allen was legit, with no added mockery.

But the 2022 offseason made him spiteful, and his Allen appreciation reverted to Allen mockery. It was all because of the media hype & Vegas oddsmakers placing the Bills as SB favorites over KC. This is when he gave Allen the "rollercoaster" Allen moniker. And he's carried on that nonsense ever since then. Unfortunately, a lot of people love First Thing's First, and his narrative is actually catching on with general NFL fans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.