JT O'Sullivan QB School Video Breakdown of Allen in Week 8 against TB - some very interesting points

Big Turk

JT said exactly what I’ve been saying all year with Allen:

The most elite version of himself is finding the balance between being superhero and surgical. People criticize his check downs, quick game; etc and want to call him neutered. That is just so blatantly wrong. It’s taking free money:

On the other hand we are always fearful of sugarhigh Josh, playing Superman out of structure. And he’s called reckless and undisciplined.

I think what a lot of people’s frustrations are stemming from is what sometimes seems like an over correction from the offense to promote that surgical nature of the game. We say, “we’ve got Josh Allen! Can’t you just jump over someone and throw a 40 yard laser on a dime into triple coverage?” We’re so used to seeing superhero, what it is just Clark Kent, we can’t deal. We’d rather see him crash and burn because of what we how he can be, that watch the slow and methodical game that sometimes konks out. 

We need a 40 million dollar Superman a lot of times, but not always. As JT referrenced, when the spotlight starts to shine and we have stud opponents (Eagles, Chiefs, etc) it’ll be more important than ever to take that free money when it’s there and create those fun splash plays when it’s not. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

@Beck Water

My guess is that guy. If true what others are saying regarding coverage, he should have deep 1/3 and got his eyes lost to the play developing underneath and never felt the deep over 

IMG_4193.jpeg

He had his eyes on James Cook, and doesn’t drop deep enough because he is worrying about Cook. Cover 1 snippet I saw basically said as much. 

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He had his eyes on James Cook, and doesn’t drop deep enough because he is worrying about Cook. Cover 1 snippet I saw basically said as much. 

That's why I think it's zone match because cover 3 sky regardless he should drop further ... You need depth 

Zone match he's reading and got caught up not playing his technique ... Caught staring

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Who should have picked up Shakir?

Based on their alignments and footwork they're playing, what I call, Special to the field (Trips Concept where you man 1 and play Quarters between the overhang and safety), but the field Safety is working skate footwork (he thinks he's playing 2). The boundary is playing a banjo (man concept). Safety has first in and corner has first out from 1 & 2 weak. Since first in went shallow Safety drops it off to the zone side and takes eyes across the field and picks up the final 3 player man to man (Diggs). Corner has first out which ends up being Cook on this play. Long-winded explanation to say the Field Safety is the one who should have been covering Shakir.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Based on their alignments and footwork they're playing, what I call, Special to the field (Trips Concept where you man 1 and play Quarters between the overhang and safety), but the field Safety is working skate footwork (he thinks he's playing 2). The boundary is playing a banjo (man concept). Safety has first in and corner has first out from 1 & 2 weak. Since first in went shallow Safety drops it off to the zone side and takes eyes across the field and picks up the final 3 player man to man (Diggs). Corner has first out which ends up being Cook on this play. Long-winded explanation to say the Field Safety is the one who should have been covering Shakir.

Without the pre snap look you can't 100% call it a banjo concept because the screenshot isn't showing a boundary corner pressed and one off

I haven't watched the game back but it's not showing pre snap looks but banjo would have one off and one press pre snap 

These are all 3 seconds post snap

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Without the pre snap look you can't 100% call it a banjo concept because the screenshot isn't showing a boundary corner pressed and one off

I haven't watched the game back but it's not showing pre snap looks but banjo would have one off and one press pre snap 

These are all 3 seconds post snap

You don’t have to have anyone pressed to play banjo, however in this particular instance they do.

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

You don’t have to have anyone pressed to play banjo, however in this particular instance they do.

Banjo usually has a soft and tight coverage to help pass the responsibility pre snap tho  

Especially on mesh

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Any chance this shell is cover 6 and the boundary CB never gets back to his deep half? As @HoofHearted suggests the safety’s bail technique and the bailing field CB looks a bit like quarter quarter half 

It’s a good initial assumption. The reason it can’t be 6 is because Winfield isn’t playing as a flat defender (which he’d have to be if it were 6). He doesn’t care about Cook working outside at all and instead only cares about the in-cut of 1 and getting his eyes across to the zone side to pick up the final 3.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Not sure I agree here.

Allen was plenty vertical enough to turf it or eat it. He chose to make the throw and it was tipped. Being a yard or two more vertical would not have changed his options.

Agreed. 

Allen gets that throw off 9 out of 10 times.

He threw it right into the much shorter DB. People are acting like he made some crazy play to tip the ball. He has as many turnovers as he does for a reason, and he also has a lot of balls tipped, it wasn't that outlandish. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.