Wasps (thanks for correction) are out of control this year

WotAGuy

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had four battles this year. I had one black wasp nest on a tree that looked like a beach ball. It was cartoonish. Took 3 sprays bottles To bring it down.

I have realized in my battle with the ground nests this past summer that sprays are useless. You need the powder. I dumped a ton of powder on one, and then dug it up, and did more powder the next night. That seemed to work. 

here is the powder:

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Ground-Bee-Killer/dp/B00QV3YUUG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=30AR3B3U5HUO0&keywords=ground+bee+powder&qid=1696972621&sprefix=ground+bee+powder%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

I’ve used Sevin powder with success on ground nests. Get an empty (dry) Poland spring or whatever water bottle, funnel some sevin dust in there, then turn it upside down into the hole and squeeze the bottle to get some oomf behind it. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Ground nest:

Go out at night (if you have a red headlamp(or red cellophane over a flashlight), they can't see it), pour some gas down the hole, cover it with a rag or tshirt and the fumes will do the work for you.

Yes, it's more fun to light it but that doesn't always get them all.

Fuel oil works much better than gasoline. The fuel oil stays on their wings and they can't fly if they do make it out of the hole... gasoline will just evaporate and they will still be able to fly if they make it out.

Wait until at least an hour after sundown and pour about a half gallon of fuel oil/diesel fuel down the hole. I've done this five times now in my yard over the past three years and I have never seen any activity at all around the hole the next day.

20 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Anyone else having wasps coming into their house like an invading army?  There was a story on the Syracuse news about them recently.  I’m killing 2-3 dozen a day all around the inside of the house, mostly in and around the windows. Have an exterminator coming to try and find the nest(s).

Bastards.  

Keeps reminding me of the SNL Killer Bees skits. 

You are a mass murderer!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had four battles this year. I had one black wasp nest on a tree that looked like a beach ball. It was cartoonish. Took 3 sprays bottles To bring it down.

I have realized in my battle with the ground nests this past summer that sprays are useless. You need the powder. I dumped a ton of powder on one, and then dug it up, and did more powder the next night. That seemed to work. 

here is the powder:

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Ground-Bee-Killer/dp/B00QV3YUUG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=30AR3B3U5HUO0&keywords=ground+bee+powder&qid=1696972621&sprefix=ground+bee+powder%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

This is the correct answer.  The powder is great and with a bulb duster, it works in a lot of different applications.  I had wasps this summer get into a small gap in our siding that ran along an eave.  Sprays, traps, etc did not work.

The dust took care of them in about 24 hours.  I've had no problems since.  I used "Delta Dust" which is engineered to delay the kill by a few hours, allowing them to bring the dust back to the hive and kill the rest of them.  Tempo dust is another popular option, but that's an instant kill and requires the target insect to pass over the dust... so any wasps hanging out in the nest won't be impacted.  You want them to bring the dust back to the nest.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Pete said:

yellow jackets and hornets are plentiful this summer due to all the heavy rain.  Wet wood is easier to chew, to make their hives.  Bald Hornets are by far the most aggressive and scary

Don't i know had a huge bald face nest right under my nyseg meter mfers were attacking me from easily 20 yards away.

I found the nest inside the house. An exterminator came and could tell where they got in.  He took care of the nest, got the queen, and killed pretty much all of them. All clear now, which is a huge relief. My dogs had been stung and my wife was flipping out every day. Best $243 I ever spent. Ready to do battle with the stink bugs next. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.