Jet Lag Or Just Another Slumbering Loss?

pocoboy

If I hadn't sat in my chair and watched the Bengals game, or the Jaguars game from a couple of years ago, or paid money to go to a game in Buffalo to watch the offense sleepwalk against the Colts, I'd be ready to complain about the jet lag.

But these performances happen way too often. It's inexplicable. The thread regarding drops is closer to the nail on the head, I think the problem is that we have secondary skill position players who fall short way too often, in key moments. Whether it's drafting, or coaching, or whatever motivational tactics McDermott uses to get the utmost performance against a team like Miami, something has bred complacency in games that seem less than challenging. And I think you could make a fair argument that the split-second lags caused by whatever ennui playing Jacksonville the week after the biggest most exhilarating win ever could contribute to not being in the optimal position to make a tackle & lead to freak injuries.

All I know, you had James Cook dropping an easy reception for a 1st down, then all of the sudden Milano is gone. Then the team goes from funk to the pit of Hell. What in the hell is wrong with this team's spirit? The only fight came on a long-but-quick drive where Allen basically seemed to say "screw Dorsey and his playbook" and called a few plays to will them to a TD.

Anyway, onto the Giants. If anyone has a time machine, let me know if they plan to show up for this one so I can get some money down.

• Like (+1) 1

jet lag wasn't an issue. not one player said it was a factor when asked.

maybe lack of preparation, focus, and organization related to travel but even then, i doubt it based on players.

i've made the trip to europe. going there it's not that bad. not the first two days. if anything it is the 3rd to 4th day you might be a little off. everyone saying it is a big factor in their experience, i have no idea what you're talking about... no one i work with does either and we are a european company.

coming back is worse.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

maybe lack of preparation, focus, and organization related to travel but even then, i doubt it based on players.

i've made the trip to europe. going there it's not that bad. not the first two days. if anything it is the 3rd to 4th day you might be a little off. everyone saying it is a big factor in their experience, i have no idea what you're talking about... no one i work with does either and we are a european company.

coming back is worse.

They don't need to say it...it IS an issue regardless of whether they want to say it or not.  Science has proven this many times over. You disrupt the body's internal rhythms and you are simply just "off".  You don't really know why or have an explanation, you just are. The effects are different from person to person...some will be effected much more than others. 

"Jet lag can negatively affect athletic performance, especially when traveling across multiple time zones. It is caused by the misalignment of the body's internal clock (circadian rhythm) with the local time at the destination, leading to symptoms such as sleep disruptions, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and altered mood.

Athletes may experience a decline in cognitive and physical performance due to jet lag. Physiological parameters like heart rate, ventilation, and blood lactate, as well as direct measures of physical performance like peak muscle force, anaerobic power output, and vertical jump, are associated with circadian rhythms"

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

coming back is worse.

Why would any player come out and say that.  Imagine the responses.  I guess next loss will be due to jet lag then.  These takes are just amusing. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

coming back is worse.

They got in on late Thursday early Friday. I’m pretty sure you weren’t there to play football. Which is nothing like going there to visit or job related. They obviously were experiencing jet lag.

Every team has games were they are not up to the moment, but yesterday wasn’t one of them. The Defense played very hard and the offense did wake up late in the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Westside said:

They got in on late Thursday early Friday. I’m pretty sure you weren’t there to play football. Which is nothing like going there to visit or job related. They obviously were experiencing jet lag.

Every team has games were they are not up to the moment, but yesterday wasn’t one of them. The Defense played very hard and the offense did wake up late in the game.

lol no. i'm not a professional athlete trained to be elite in body and mind. i'm just a business analyst.

but, yes they were obviously jet lagged when EVERY SINGLE PLAYER SAID IT WAS NOT A FACTOR AND THEY WERE RESTED.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

coming back is worse.

Comparing playing an NFL football game to a regular job is hilarious

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Why would any player come out and say that.  Imagine the responses.  I guess next loss will be due to jet lag then.  These takes are just amusing. 

oh i hear ya, but 5 hours ahead of time is nothing.

you get there and maybe take a small nap then go ahead and stay up all day. these guys, a lot of them, by their social media presence stay up until after midnight many nights and sleep in until 10ish.

Just now, boyst said:

lol no. i'm not a professional athlete trained to be elite in body and mind. i'm just a business analyst.

but, yes they were obviously jet lagged when EVERY SINGLE PLAYER SAID IT WAS NOT A FACTOR AND THEY WERE RESTED.

When was the last time you heard players needing to drink tons of coffee and other caffeinated beverages to stay awake during Friday meetings?  

Drops early in the game killed drives.  Dumb drops you can only blame receivers on. Bad drops. 

In Dorsey’s defense he didn’t have a chance to adjust the game plan when it was 3 and outs so fast. 

I still blame Dorsey for not changing the plan and opening up the field quick enough. They were begging us to change to our strength and we didn’t do it. Arrogance. 

Then D zone injuries destroyed us. Elam can’t cover man. Ridley wide open 3rd and long over and over- someone smarter than me needs to show why that was happening. But injuries was surely a factor. 

Refs also called one of the worst games I’ve seen. For both sides. But refball like that sucks momentum out for any team trying to rally back. 

Some teams just have other teams number, like the Bills having Miami's number that may be what this thing is with the Jags . Overtime the Bills play them it seems as if they can't get out of their own way even with putting up the numbers they did the week before .

This type of thing has went on for years in the NFL i just hope that the Bills may be able to over come it .

Just now, Big Turk said:

When was the last time you heard players needing to drink tons of coffee and other caffeinated beverages to stay awake during Friday meetings?  

when was the last time the media asked a team that? have you heard about gronk getting to practice facility at like 2 am to get IV's at 5 or 6 am to make practice sober? or countless other athletes just staying up and partying a lot?

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

coming back is worse.

It always takes me 3 days to get right. Can only speak for myself but that is what it takes.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

when was the last time the media asked a team that? have you heard about gronk getting to practice facility at like 2 am to get IV's at 5 or 6 am to make practice sober? or countless other athletes just staying up and partying a lot?

Yeah...because that's the same as everyone on the team, including coaches having to all experience a huge stressor to the body's status quo.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It always takes me 3 days to get right. Can only speak for myself but that is what it takes.

I would be willing to bet if you were hooked up to machines to measure your metabolic and other internal processes, it would take a lot longer than that. Most studies they have done say 2 weeks for your body to "reset" completely.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

how's your first day to day two? to me they are easier than the 3rd and 4th day. at least going east

coming back west with less than an 8 hour shift is a pain in the ass.

11 minutes ago, boyst said:

coming back is worse.

Then you're just "built different" I suppose.

Taking it from someone that was actually on the field; in the post game interview Travis ETN talked about the difference in how he felt last week vs this week with the jet lag. Said it was a HUGE impact. I believe it. Last week both the Falcons and Jags looked awful as well. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I agree with this and will add. Dorsey called an awesome game in Miami, best one yet. 35% play action. In this game he ran play action on an astonishing 5 plays. How many more failed shotgun handoffs are we going to make?  We run and throw better, when Josh is under center.

Clearly they treat these games as some kind of off-tendency bologna that basically forces your team to be on its best behavior, relying upon execution over X's and O's. And FFS, Goodell is basically sitting there saying this is a meaningless throwaway game that they will pull whatever kinds of malarkey in order to justify whatever long-term BS business goals they have. Whatever. I'd say the next time they go to London, not a single Bills fan from the US pays a nickel to go over there. Submarine the thing. The NFL treats our team like dogsh!t.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Then you're just "built different" I suppose.

Taking it from someone that was actually on the field; in the post game interview Travis ETN talked about the difference in how he felt last week vs this week with the jet lag. Said it was a HUGE impact. I believe it. Last week both the Falcons and Jags looked awful as well. 

Most likely he just doesn't realize it.  Sometimes the body can compensate for a while but then if pushed more than it can compensate the effects become clear pretty quickly.

• Agree 1

Look anyone could see they were off with the 3 and outs in the first quarter and a half. Anyone who says travel doesn’t play a factor is fooling themselves. By the time the Bills got their legs they were down 2 scores to a team that had a full 10 days and had already played a game there. 
The game was decided on two things Kair Elam was a turnstile and the Jags could run the ball and the Bills couldn’t.

I don’t know what gets in Ken Dorseys head to keep running out of the shotgun but it may cost him his job in the long run. 

15 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I agree with this and will add. Dorsey called an awesome game in Miami, best one yet. 35% play action. In this game he ran play action on an astonishing 5 plays. How many more failed shotgun handoffs are we going to make?  We run and throw better, when Josh is under center.

Don’t you find it weird that in almost every game there is a statistic showing how deadly Josh is on play-action / designed roll out plays but there’s some games it’s minimal to non existent? Josh is absolutely THE BEST QB @ play action right now. The stats prove it. 

I get the old adage; You need a run game to set up the play action. Do you though? 

Let’s say you have 70 plays in a game, the first play on offense you call is a run and the remaining 69 are all play action… I’d go out on a limb and say if in previous games you have a personnel grouping or formation you’ve had success running the ball from, that during points in current game you run PA from, you will have at least some success.  There’s tape these guys watch that predicate a lot of their reactions. Play off it. 

Just a very odd game for the first 2 quarters by the O. 

Edited by BBFL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.