O-Line Play Today

drummernut74

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Great point regarding run success early on. Does anyone have access to the splits on 1st and 2nd half rushing YPC league wide?  I believe you in that it’s tougher to run in the 1st.  I’d just like to see the actual difference.  

Do you have thoughts on Kincaid seeing 2 quick targets and then basically being told to stand in the corner after the bogus tripling call?

No their use of Kincaid yesterday was confusing. In the slot far less in line blocking far more and it was his worst day as a blocker.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No their use of Kincaid yesterday was confusing. In the slot far less in line blocking far more and it was his worst day as a blocker.

Thanks.

I haven’t rewatched the game in detail yet, so I can’t comment on his overall blocking.  

What did you make of the “trip”?  I’d call it a great block. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have thrown a flag. He definitely got beat and then grabbed at the guy's ankle.

Ok.  I just rewatched it again.  I had been looking for a leg trip.  Didn’t think about him tripping him with his hand.  He did grab and apply pressure to his inner thigh/knee.  

I stand corrected.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It was mind boggling and I don’t know if there’s an actual plan for him. He should never be asked to block. 

15 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’ve also noticed Allen is starting to have a lot more trust in the front 5 and isn’t bailing from clean pockets like he was in game 1. When he does get pressure, he isn’t immediately looking to run left or right, he’s manipulating the pocket now, side step here, side step there, it’s what made Brady so frustrating to sack. Hopefully the OL continues to give Allen that trust!

The plays that 9l get beat Josh can easily just throw the ball to ground to end play then on to next down.  Let þhe defenders wear themselves out trying to get him sacked.  Then Josh will have the whole field as his playground. And the opponents get to enjoy front row seats on how a topqbplays the game.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But that is kinda common league wide in terms of run game. The hardest time in a game to run is early against fresh defenses.

Yep and this is why I want Dorsey to keep committing to the run even if it isn't working early. I saw a lot of people in the gameday thread after our first couple drives saying we should give up on the run. I was happy to see Dorsey keep going back to it. Committing to a balanced offense matters over the course of a full game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

On 9/24/2023 at 6:20 PM, Dan in Owego said:

Loved the backups as well.

Snap Counts: 

Torrence & Brown 100%

McGovern 93%

Morse 88%

Dawkins 87%

That's great, so much better than past seasons.  I'm eager to see how Allen's pocket play changes after 6-8 games like that.  

Not like our OL of Ballard, Wolford, Hull, Ritcher, but still solid.  

Torrence, I've gotta say, may be our best OL-man by the end of the season.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Snap Counts: 

Torrence & Brown 100%

McGovern 93%

Morse 88%

Dawkins 87%

That's great, so much better than past seasons.  I'm eager to see how Allen's pocket play changes after 6-8 games like that.  

Not like our OL of Ballard, Wolford, Hull, Ritcher, but still solid.  

Torrence, I've gotta say, may be our best OL-man by the end of the season.  

Don’t forget John Davis (RG). He was a load!

• Like (+1) 1

I REALLY loved the OLine play last game, and so far in these 3 games they have been much better than in previous years... like we expected with these two new guards. 

Yet watching the Eagles yesterday... wow. Crazy how good is that OLine! Hurts (and their run game!) has it so easy.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:35 PM, Ben said:

Its starting to look like Spencer's back really was the issue last year. Very encouraging start to the year.

his rookie year, when he missed a game or two we were all like "OMG we're F---ED!"

Then everyone turned on him because he had a down year. Well, he had back surgery, he's 6'6 300+ lbs and is blocking grown men. I think back surgery is SOMEWHAT of a liable excuse. ;) 

Glad he's back to who he really is. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

"Not the worst LG in the league" was an upgrade, and he has delivered.

McGovern remarked before the season that the coaching he has received from Kromer has helped him tremendously.  Mentioned just the slightest nuances and details like hand placement etc that he's learned has been critical

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.