Government Shut Down Thread--MAGA & Putin On Verge Of Huge Victory--

Tiberius

With a government shutdown just nine days away, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was left with egg on his face again on Thursday as he conceded that far-right saboteurs in his own party were hellbent on “burn[ing] the place down.”

After a nightmare week of being steamrolled by conservative hardliners, and subsequently slammed by fed-up moderates, McCarthy suffered another humiliating defeat when a vote to bring a defense spending bill to the floor failed on Thursday morning—forcing him to send House members home for the week without a government funding deal in sight.

https://news.yahoo.com/kevin-mccarthy-takes-yet-another-174259080.html

When your entire party is based on lies and conspiracies, you run into trouble when trying to do things in the real world.

Also, I never understood the idea of voting for people who think the idea of government itself is bad. If they think it's bad, why would they make it work? They're incentivized to break it and make it worse...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Blow up the deep state and produce the chaos necessary to eliminate the cesspool of corruption.

In other words, you and @B-Man have not received your talking points from MAGA central yet

Sanity 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-republicans-molinaro-lawler-democrats-government-shutdown-rcna111469

WASHINGTON — As the Republican stalemate over government funding continues, two freshman GOP House members opened the door Thursday to end-running their party’s leadership and working with Democrats to fund the government.

Reps. Marc Molinaro and Mike Lawler, two New York Republicans who represent Hudson Valley-area districts that voted for President Joe Biden in 2020, said they’re willing to consider a “discharge petition” to force votes on a short-term funding bill — if their party fails to get its act together.

“It is absolutely an option,” Molinaro said outside the Capitol steps. “Working to ensure the government remains functional and that Congress is making the legitimate choices as it relates to funding ... is an important principle.”

Lawler told reporters that if Republicans can’t unify to pass a continuing resolution, or CR, to approve short-term funding, he will pursue a discharge petition with Democrats.

“If there is not going to be a CR coming out of the House Republican caucus, then I will move forward with a discharge petition,” he said.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

In other words, you and @B-Man have not received your talking points from MAGA central yet

Sanity 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-republicans-molinaro-lawler-democrats-government-shutdown-rcna111469

WASHINGTON — As the Republican stalemate over government funding continues, two freshman GOP House members opened the door Thursday to end-running their party’s leadership and working with Democrats to fund the government.

Reps. Marc Molinaro and Mike Lawler, two New York Republicans who represent Hudson Valley-area districts that voted for President Joe Biden in 2020, said they’re willing to consider a “discharge petition” to force votes on a short-term funding bill — if their party fails to get its act together.

“It is absolutely an option,” Molinaro said outside the Capitol steps. “Working to ensure the government remains functional and that Congress is making the legitimate choices as it relates to funding ... is an important principle.”

Lawler told reporters that if Republicans can’t unify to pass a continuing resolution, or CR, to approve short-term funding, he will pursue a discharge petition with Democrats.

“If there is not going to be a CR coming out of the House Republican caucus, then I will move forward with a discharge petition,” he said.

So no, nothing bad would happen from a shutdown.

by Hooke or crook, eh

the power of the purse is the house. decouple military from domestic and its already passed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

When your entire party is based on lies and conspiracies, you run into trouble when trying to do things in the real world.

Also, I never understood the idea of voting for people who think the idea of government itself is bad. If they think it's bad, why would they make it work? They're incentivized to break it and make it worse...

see that, I never understood the idea of voting for run of the mill morons who in most part never accomplished anything in their lives to steal more of my money to misappropriate how they choose while telling me how and what I should accept based on their double standard. 

I mean just go find a dictator to serve already and stop turning the American experiment into Venezuela already….

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Some people do want to do away with checks & balances and the whole US Constitution thing

I know… it’s become and increasing pattern, look at the trend of presidential executive orders …. It keeps getting worse and worse. 

Yet some idiots are begging them to take more of their money and put more regulations on their lives. 

• Agree 2

Starting a thread that calls people with opposing opinions, "animals" hurts any high ground one thought they had.

Way easier to hold bigoted views when one dehumanizes the people first.

Goebbels would be proud to see his theories still being used.

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

see that, I never understood the idea of voting for run of the mill morons who in most part never accomplished anything in their lives to steal more of my money to misappropriate how they choose while telling me how and what I should accept based on their double standard. 

I mean just go find a dictator to serve already and stop turning the American experiment into Venezuela already….

Ideally, we would have an electoral system that would encourage actually good candidates. There are movements to make this happen and we've seen some progress in Alaska and Maine in that front.

But in the meantime, it's generally picking between two bad options, voting for whoever you think is less bad.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4