Sleep apnea

Joe Ferguson forever

7 hours ago, teef said:

the nasal cannula which is sounds like you're using now tends to be the most comfortable for patients.  i'm not sure how much you'll love the full mask.   i've heard they're harder to sleep with and may require a special pillow depending how you sleep.  

are you sure you'd have to pay for the appliance?  i know the machines can monitor use, so i thought if the patient had trouble, medical may pay for the alternative.  my insurance person is out for the rest of the week, but i can ask.  we have a lot that we make pushed through medical as long as there's a current sleep study, and as far as i know, this is with people who have tried the cpap.

the devices are great for mild apnea.  nothing on your face and you have full mobility at night.  very comfortable and easy to make.  

i prefer the dream TAPS, but there are a number of choices with various costs.   https://tapintosleep.com/products/tap-custom/

I think the ones i make are $500-600.  Not cheap, but if there's no other alternative, they work well.  

I might just be lucky, but the full mask has never been uncomfortable to sleep with for me. 

I lay on my side most of the night and have never been woken up by discomfort. 

The only issue I have is when the Velcro gets a little weak, or if the straps loosen. 

When that happens, if I hit the right angle, it makes a loud “raspberry” sound, which does wake me up (and my girlfriend). But I just tighten the straps and readjust my mask and back to sleep I go. 

My biggest concern was the tube that goes from the machine to the mask. 

Again … never a problem, which has been a pleasant surprise. 

I’m going on 3 years with the pap, and I’m very happy with it. 

• Like (+1) 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2023 at 12:08 PM, The Poojer said:

i have used a cpap for years, best thing i ever did.  My sleep doctor is getting me in to a phase 3 double blind trial for a new medication that has potentially positive results.  I start the trial next week, really looking forward to seeing how it plays out, but with my luck, i'll probably get the placebo

How's the med trial going? 

On 9/14/2023 at 8:20 PM, Gugny said:

The only issue I have is when the Velcro gets a little weak, or if the straps loosen

When that happens, if I hit the right angle, it makes a loud “raspberry” sound, which does wake me up (and my girlfriend). But I just tighten the straps and readjust my mask and back to sleep I go. 

I've been having the same issue. Wondering if anyone has found headgear that uses a buckle instead of velcro.  I've tried searching online, but no luck.  I'd rather not have to keep replacing headgear so often.  I have used safety pins to keep it secured, but wanted something that is easier to adjust in the middle of the night.  

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I've been having the same issue. Wondering if anyone has found headgear that uses a buckle instead of velcro.  I've tried searching online, but no luck.  I'd rather not have to keep replacing headgear so often.  I have used safety pins to keep it secured, but wanted something that is easier to adjust in the middle of the night.  

I’m gonna look into this. Buckles would be great. 

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m gonna look into this. Buckles would be great. 

So this women told me she had laser surgery by an NP to the back of her throat...asked around and heard it was 50% successful, in the best hands.  Stories of misery for 6 mos.  anyone experience good or bad? Tried 3 masks and a hood now.  I'm thinking weight loss would be better and easier at this point.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

Jack, the study lead called me when i was on vacation a couple of weeks to let me know that all my results came back from the pre-screen and it showed I was "too healthy" and didn't qualify to move forward.  I suppose that is good news, but my SA is pretty severe, or at least it was 11 years ago.  Oh well.  I guess i will have to wait for it to hit the market.  Thanks for asking

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

13 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

So this women told me she had laser surgery by an NP to the back of her throat...asked around and heard it was 50% successful, in the best hands.  Stories of misery for 6 mos.  anyone experience good or bad? Tried 3 masks and a hood now.  I'm thinking weight loss would be better and easier at this point.

I must say, I think my weight loss had a lot to do with my reduction in snoring. There are obviously a lot of variables, but I think that was a biggie.  It wasn’t a ton of weight, maybe 10 pounds, but it seemed to make a difference. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am having a procedure where they are burning back some tissue opening up more of an air way.

The only other thing is full rhinoplasty surgery to keep my nostrils from collapsing when I breath in. 

UPPP?

As for the nostrils, tried breathe right strips?

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.