Concerning tweets from Roger Saffold.

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

your former employer can only push so hard on your mental healthcare in retirement. 

We've basically dismantled in-patient mental health care and the outpatient mental health model sucks.

It sucks because people who are having issues don't make the best choices and it's exceedingly difficult if not impossible to compel them to participate in treatment if they don't want to. It goes beyond not wanting to. A lot of times it's more like unable to participate because the instability is that acute.

Sending out a tweet like that should be grounds to 302 someone against their will for at least a 48 hour observation. In reality, it often won't. Even if it does if there are no in-patient beds available (which there usually aren't) it just means the person sits in the ER until one opens up which can be a VERY long time.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Sad stuff but it's clear he was done in this league last year and why the Titans also moved on prior.

WTF?  He's not a freaking machine, you insensitive corn-skinner, he's a human being.  I assigned him the highest percentage of blame of all the players for their bad performance during our playoff debacle against the Bengals last season but the bottom line is that it's just a game.  The tweets he's posting are about real life situations.  The dude needs serious help and so do you.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

CTE is definitely very real 

It absolutely is. I'm pretty sure I have it from all of my concussions. There's some very dark times that seem to come out of nowhere. I've been in contact with the Concussion Legacy Foundation with former wrestler Chris Nowinski. I'm donating my brain to them when I pass for research. 

But for anyone that ever has these thoughts there's a lot of people out there that love and care about you. They may be people you've never met before. If you're having issues come on here. We will be more than happy to help. If you don't want it public, private message me or anyone else. I know I had to do it once. A former poster helped me more than they'll ever know. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

your former employer can only push so hard on your mental healthcare in retirement. 

It's really hard to help an adult that doesn't want it. But if the NFL does indeed have a support system, they should be warned by now. If we know, they know for sure. Not to mention ex teammates, some of whom might have had similar issues after retiring.

16 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Always thought it's got to be tough on someone who has played a sport likely ever since they were a little kid and all of a sudden it's over.  They want to keep playing where as most people who retire in their 60's or so by then are tired and sick of working.  They more are OK with it.

you also go from being one of the best, if not the best, player you are on for most of your football life, to a career in the NFL, to suddenly being out.  Add on top of that whatever personal matter he has going on (sounds like his Sister passed), and it seems to be a recipe for depression.  Hopefully someone he knows and/or the NFL sees these and is able to get him the help he needs.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It absolutely is. I'm pretty sure I have it from all of my concussions. There's some very dark times that seem to come out of nowhere. I've been in contact with the Concussion Legacy Foundation with former wrestler Chris Nowinski. I'm donating my brain to them when I pass for research. 

But for anyone that ever has these thoughts there's a lot of people out there that love and care about you. They may be people you've never met before. If you're having issues come on here. We will be more than happy to help. If you don't want it public, private message me or anyone else. I know I had to do it once. A former poster helped me more than they'll ever know. 

Yea I've dealt with lots of issues from my concussions

I think I have it too 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.