Dion Dawkins

Toledo Bill

52 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

https://twitter.com/jackduffin/status/1684187145169149956?s=46&t=YCtwdE4Hu9f12jkTstxw9A

Average offensive tackle compensation notice for current market value comparison purposes. Looks like it’s about $19M/yr for an average player at that spot. Tytus Howard, RT, of the Texans just got a three year extension worth $56M. $36.5M guaranteed.

This goes a long way in explaining why the Bills have stuck with Dawkins and Brown. What it doesn’t explain is why they haven’t tried harder in the draft to improve there or get better prospects in the pipeline. 

Barley,

Agreed, but they had to bolster other aspects of the roster.  I look at Dorian as a red shirt year backup to Milano, while being groomed for the mic in 24.

I can see as we have more pics next year and with the comp an extra 3rd, taking a Tackle high unless Brown somehow puts it together.  This is a familiar scene with Dawkins thinking he’s in the 70’s he goes to camp to get in shape vs being in shape.  He will put it together.  He’s cheap for a LT on a 2nd contract.

Its too early, but we’ll need a Safety as well as Hyde’s contract will be up and we’ll have one more year with Poyer.  Take the safety a year early so they can groom him for the Hyde or Poyer role and Rapp swing in 24 for the starting job vs. big nickel this year and backing up our 30 something guys.

Lastly, we’ll probably take a WR high as they are cheaper than free agents.

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Didn’t you hear, Van Demark hasn’t missed an assignment. LT1!

Should we just go ahead and put him up on the Wall at the home opener? I mean, why waste time?   🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Barley,

Agreed, but they had to bolster other aspects of the roster.  I look at Dorian as a red shirt year backup to Milano, while being groomed for the mic in 24.

I can see as we have more pics next year and with the comp an extra 3rd, taking a Tackle high unless Brown somehow puts it together.  This is a familiar scene with Dawkins thinking he’s in the 70’s he goes to camp to get in shape vs being in shape.  He will put it together.  He’s cheap for a LT on a 2nd contract.

Its too early, but we’ll need a Safety as well as Hyde’s contract will be up and we’ll have one more year with Poyer.  Take the safety a year early so they can groom him for the Hyde or Poyer role and Rapp swing in 24 for the starting job vs. big nickel this year and backing up our 30 something guys.

Lastly, we’ll probably take a WR high as they are cheaper than free agents.

Agreed, MGK. I think the play at LT is to draft one next season to develop behind Dawkins. That doesn’t have to be in the first. Cash outlays to Dawkins this year and next are definitely great bargains for even average LT play - and he’s been a tick above that to date. But I think the Bills prioritized a lot of other positions over RT, which is why they need their third rounder to work out there. I like that they took an OL in the second this year. I hope that shift to prioritizing the offense continues. 

I’ll add that their draft and FA missed on the DL and OL have really hurt. They tried to fix the DL problem by dropping $30M a year on Von Miller, but then the knee happened. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I know the book isn’t written on either one, but imagine the right side with Torrence and Jones together. 

exactly. By the time he got to the 3rd round, it was worth the risk to take him based on size and talent alone. 

He's so massive that even if a player gets around his reach it takes an extra second to do it 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

exactly. By the time he got to the 3rd round, it was worth the risk to take him based on size and talent alone. 

He's so massive that even if a player gets around his reach it takes an extra second to do it 

He could be an outstanding RT. Word is that the Browns are very happy with him overall, but he does have some mental lapses - false starts, occasional missed assignment. But he is so big (but not fat) and fast that when he’s gotten beat, he usually has been able to recover and still win the rep. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

https://twitter.com/jackduffin/status/1684187145169149956?s=46&t=YCtwdE4Hu9f12jkTstxw9A

Average offensive tackle compensation notice for current market value comparison purposes. Looks like it’s about $19M/yr for an average player at that spot. Tytus Howard, RT, of the Texans just got a three year extension worth $56M. $36.5M guaranteed.

This goes a long way in explaining why the Bills have stuck with Dawkins and Brown. What it doesn’t explain is why they haven’t tried harder in the draft to improve there or get better prospects in the pipeline. 

The bills drafted Cody Ford to play tackle in the 2nd... Busted out.... McDermott took Dawkins .... Then they took Spencer brown in the 3rd... Tommy Doyle the same draft 

Then Luke Tenuta ... Signed Darryl Williams , queesenberry ... Van demark a high upside 

Tackle is a position that needs reps... They don't peek until they're around 30 if healthy ... And they need repetitions to get better

Can't just be throwing first round picks at right tackle... They're putting resources into it .. but sometimes these guys need 3 years to develop... Even some can't miss tackles turn out to be pretty Miss... It's not easy 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills drafted Cody Ford to play tackle in the 2nd... Busted out.... McDermott took Dawkins .... Then they took Spencer brown in the 3rd... Tommy Doyle the same draft 

Then Luke Tenuta ... Signed Darryl Williams , queesenberry ... Van demark a high upside 

Tackle is a position that needs reps... They don't peek until they're around 30 if healthy ... And they need repetitions to get better

Can't just be throwing first round picks at right tackle... They're putting resources into it .. but sometimes these guys need 3 years to develop... Even some can't miss tackles turn out to be pretty Miss... It's not easy 

Just a few comments:

- You say that Van Demark is “high upside”. Wow. Please defend that. He was an UDFA last season and couldn’t get on the active roster for the Colts. Just because he looked good against scrubs in preseason this year doesn’t mean he can even play in this league, much less play at a high level. 

- Good OTs hit their peak well before 30. You can’t be serious. 

- Lotta teams spend first (or second) round picks on OTs. There just aren't that many people in the world that big who can move as required for the position. The scarcity is a big reason the Texans just dropped a ton of cash on an average RT. Because you know, if you put a poor one out there they could lose you a season of your HOF QB on any given play. And who needs that?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, rusty shackleford said:

Seems like a lot of effort, knowing we are going to be moving shortly. 

We’re moving? Did they finally figure all that out? We’re going downtown, right? Are they doing a dome? 

Sincerely, 

Rip VanWinkle

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Just a few comments:

- You say that Van Demark is “high upside”. Wow. Please defend that. He was an UDFA last season and couldn’t get on the active roster for the Colts. Just because he looked good against scrubs in preseason this year doesn’t mean he can even play in this league, much less play at a high level. 

- Good OTs hit their peak well before 30. You can’t be serious. 

There are plenty of line coaches who say it takes 5 to 7 years to develop a tackle fully... Tristan wirfs is the best RT in the league and he is still getting better .. hell peak at 28-29

Nobody is a finished product.... Absolutely even the best tackles peak around 28-29-30... Not at 25.. then decline at like 32-33

And as a long time scout I've known who  Van Demark is... Just because you're an undrafted free agent doesn't mean you can't have high upside? Jason Peters hello

He is insanely raw... But you look for traits with offensive tackles

He has the prototype size for a LT... He has long arms ... He can move, good athlete, a good punch and he's a blind side protector... I knew scouts who were trying to get him drafted in the 7th round

He has good explosion too

He was a low floor high ceiling guy which is why he went undrafted.. but there were definitely rumblings he could get drafted

He has a lot of potential down the road

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are plenty of line coaches who say it takes 5 to 7 years to develop a tackle fully...

Nobody is a finished product.... Absolutely even the best tackles peak around 28-29-30... Not at 25.. then decline at like 32-33

And as a long time scout I've known who  Van Demark is... Just because you're an undrafted free agent doesn't mean you can't have high upside? Jason Peters hello

He is insanely raw... But you look for traits with offensive tackles

He has the prototype size for a LT... He has long arms ... He can move, good athlete, a good punch and he's a blind side protector... I knew scouts who were trying to get him drafted in the 7th round

He has good explosion too

He was a low floor high ceiling guy which is why he went undrafted.. but there were definitely rumblings he could get drafted

He has a lot of potential down the road

I have no issue with the Bills taking a flyer on a young, raw, physically gifted player. But that’s not the same thing as spending draft capital and cap dollars appropriately and wisely on the OL. The Bills have fallen short in those regards over the last 7 years. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I have no issue with the Bills taking a flyer on a young, raw, physically gifted player. But that’s not the same thing as spending draft capital and cap dollars appropriately and wisely on the OL. The Bills have fallen short in those regards over the last 7 years. 

I'm all for drafting the big uglies

We just seem to take the wrong ones recently 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Living up to your name if you couldn’t tell that was a joke. 😂

Back atcha. It was a joke. Maybe I should have included a smiley face. My bad. 😂
Go Bills!!

Edited by Dopey

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.