Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 1

GunnerBill

36 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I know we are close to being in cap "jail" but after Kyle Allen's performance on Saturday, should we be kicking the tires on Wentz?  I don't think Matty Ice fits the Bills offense with his lack of mobility.  Those are the only two FA QB's that have done anything.

I mean matty ice is a beast though I'd take him as a backup any day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I know we are close to being in cap "jail" but after Kyle Allen's performance on Saturday, should we be kicking the tires on Wentz?  I don't think Matty Ice fits the Bills offense with his lack of mobility.  Those are the only two FA QB's that have done anything.

No. Wentz is awful too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Our WRs is the biggest concern, Davis couldn’t get off the line on that slant, Shakir had a bad drop, Sherfield is too small. Also Kincaid looked small, smaller than Knox

Gabe Davis is gonna blow away all the haters this year and I can’t wait. I don’t think he’ll have any trouble getting off the line with an extra 17 lbs of muscle. I think it was a fluke season for drops as he has previously been pretty sure-handed. If he can cut those drops in half then he will easily have a 1000+ yard season. Also, the fact that this is a contract season for Gabe, I think he will post a career high in yards and TDs. I’m definitely picking him up in fantasy football as one of my sleepers. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The thing that bothered me most about Kyle Allen wasn't what happened on the field, it was the combination of his play on the field and his responses afterwards in the interview.  Describing his performance as "smooth" and saying he was pretty "happy with it". 

Then when he was asked about playing behind a rotating cast on OL, he made some comment  about "I've been in the league 6 years, I'm used to it".  Oh?  Then why did you lock on Sherfield and almost get your first pass picked off, throwing before anyone else had completed a route on 3rd and 3?  The contrast was "Yikes" - it came across as totally lacking self-awareness.

To me, it seems like you are placing way too much importance to a press conference.  For a veteran, this is similar to coachspeak, not worth much.

A self-aware K Allen may have discussed his upcoming press conference with his agent.  That advice would be "put a positive spin on it", emphasis your experience in the league, don't talk negative about anyone.

You don't admit problems or put out a negative media segment when you could be looking for employment in a couple of weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Shakir seems to be thoroughly depressed about that drop.  He'll learn from that.  He's a very talented receiver.  If they try to put him on the practice squad he will be gone in two shakes.  If they don't have room for him, they could consider trading him.  

McDermott's post game comments were a bit weird.  He had good things to say about Dodson.  Huh?  He had some praise for Kyle Allen.  In other words, he had nothing relevant to say.  

Some people have been suspect of Barkley's stats.  Hey, if you're 14 of 15 just throwing to guys in practice with no coverage that's pretty good, let alone 3rd stringers.  These are professional football players.  Let's give him some respect.

Maybe they should bring in AJ McCarron for a look.  He had a really solid season in the XFL for St. Louis, and probably has a functional understanding of our playbook.  He led Alabama to 2 national titles.  There has to be some savvy in that dude.  They traded him to the Raiders a few years ago, and he hasn't given up on himself.

Regarding evaluations and conclusions.....maybe we should hold off for another week or so.  It's preseason.  They don't have to make cuts for another couple weeks.  If there are players for whom they have certainty, get 'em in to shake off the rust.  The rest of the guys?  Let 'em play and see what happens.  I don't see Shakir dropping any more easy passes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

How is Chase Daniel still in the league at age 37, having dressed for 74 games and started 5?

But I digress.  I would say "no" to Wentz.  I don't think he has the backup mindset yet, and I feel that if Reich couldn't return him to a successful QB mindset it can't be done.

It's possible that the coaches could address what went wrong with Kyle Allen and he could show improvement in the next couple preseason games.  If not, there will be QB available for trade or as cuts closer to the regular season.

I'm not saying it's "exactly" the same, but similar situation occurred last year in preseason game 1 (Keenum played poorly/Barkley looked good).  Game 2, Keenum stepped it up.

Not sure if this has been discussed.  Again, not an excuse.  Kyle looked jittery in the pocket/not comfortable, but I'm willing to give him 2 more preseason games before we get too concerned.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Gabe Davis is gonna blow away all the haters this year and I can’t wait. I don’t think he’ll have any trouble getting off the line with an extra 17 lbs of muscle. I think it was a fluke season for drops as he has previously been pretty sure-handed. If he can cut those drops in half then he will easily have a 1000+ yard season. Also, the fact that this is a contract season for Gabe, I think he will post a career high in yards and TDs. I’m definitely picking him up in fantasy football as one of my sleepers. 

I thought Gabe Davis was actually lighter this season.  where did the "extra 17 lbs of muscle" come from?

But, I applaud your hopes for him as blowing us away!

Edited by Beck Water

56 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

McDermott's post game comments were a bit weird.  He had good things to say about Dodson.  Huh?  He had some praise for Kyle Allen.  In other words, he had nothing relevant to say. 

Where was this praise for Kyle Allen?  He said he thought the QB play was "hot and cold, that we moved the ball at times but at times we stalled out, we weren't productive enough on early downs (all true).  In the second half we were better moving the ball on a more consistent basis, Matt getting the ball out and getting into a consistent rhythm and (his) hat goes off to him."  Then he said it's an open competition for backup QB.

For McDermott, that's about as close to critical of a player (Kyle Allen) as he is willing to be.

All I heard about Dodson was that "he saw some good things out of the MLB group"

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I thought Gabe Davis was actually lighter this season.  where did the "extra 17 lbs of muscle" come from?

Yeah it was LAST YEAR that Gabe Davis put all that muscle on to help take him to the next level..........this year he got rid of all that unnecessary weight to help get him back to his old level.......and presumably THEN take him to the next level?

I think @ChronicAndKnuckles was really feeling whatever he was ingesting.

What would make Gabe Davis more efficient is about 50% less targets.   Best chance for that is maybe Kincaid becoming a focal point of defense's.   No CB1 out there is the least bit worried about having to defend Gabe Davis while Diggs gets doubled on the other side.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it was LAST YEAR that Gabe Davis put all that muscle on to help take him to the next level..........this year he got rid of all that unnecessary weight to help get him back to his old level.......and presumably THEN take him to the next level?

I think @ChronicAndKnuckles was really feeling whatever he was ingesting.

What would make Gabe Davis more efficient is about 50% less targets.   Best chance for that is maybe Kincaid becoming a focal point of defense's.   No CB1 out there is the least bit worried about having to defend Gabe Davis while Diggs gets doubled on the other side.

It’s been a slow off season for me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.