Florio: NFL considering XFL kickoff rules

PromoTheRobot

I'd much prefer this over what we have now. 

I'm against eliminating kickoffs entirely, as I want ST plays to still matter & have the opportunity to impact the game in more areas. I'd prefer the OG rules, but the injuries obviously make that untennable. So this is a good option in lieu of that.

But since I'm not familiar with XFL rules, how do onside kicks work with this format?

• Agree 1

On 8/4/2023 at 11:11 AM, BigDingus said:

I'd much prefer this over what we have now. 

I'm against eliminating kickoffs entirely, as I want ST plays to still matter & have the opportunity to impact the game in more areas. I'd prefer the OG rules, but the injuries obviously make that untennable. So this is a good option in lieu of that.

But since I'm not familiar with XFL rules, how do onside kicks work with this format?

They don't, you get a 4th and 15 from your own 25. Technically, you can opt to try an onside kick but why would you? Offense on the field with one play is way better odds than converting an onside kick. I didn't see a single onside kick this XFL season and I watched a good 80% of the games. The 4th and 15 from your 25 is what the NFL needs to look at. Made for some exciting finishes in the XFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Luka said:

They don't, you get a 4th and 15 from your own 25. Technically, you can opt to try an onside kick but why would you? Offense on the field with one play is way better odds than converting an onside kick. I didn't see a single onside kick this XFL season and I watched a good 80% of the games. The 4th and 15 from your 25 is what the NFL needs to look at. Made for some exciting finishes in the XFL. 

That sounds just so much better in every way. 

You get one more chance to convert a low % play, only now using your best players. Feels like that would also make it more skill-based & less dependent on getting a lucky bounce.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Couldn’t agree more.  Would also like to see officials have to face the media after games. 

I wouldn't do that. Officiating is all split second decisions. How would it affect you knowing you'd have to answer reporters questions on almost any call?

But I did like how the XFL miked the refs and had the replays done on camera. You heard all the conversations.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wouldn't do that. Officiating is all split second decisions. How would it affect you knowing you'd have to answer reporters questions on almost any call?

But I did like how the XFL miked the refs and had the replays done on camera. You heard all the conversations.

The USFL did this also and the transparency is great. No harm in letting the fans experience the process of the call, especially when it's a long pause of a minute or two while it's being sorted out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.