Sports are weird

Success

If you watch long enough, you end up hating most other teams.  The ones you don't hate are the ones who haven't won anything.  Then, if they win something, you're kind of happy for them, but it's brief. If they have continued success after that, you start to hate them too.

And as for your own team, you hope for a day when they can be hated too.  A lot of opposing fans liked the Bills until fairly recently, but are starting to hate them now because they win, even though they haven't won it all.  If they win it all, they'll definitely be hated.

It's kind of a negative experience if you really think about it. And that's not even covering the idea that you spend endless hours over decades experiencing heartbreak, frustration and even anger, all so you can POSSIBLY have a moment of joy, or maybe a few.

Sports are weird.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Jerk said:

I wish Silva would have went 7 more years of clownin fools in the cage, ya dig?

And Floyd another 50 in the ring.

It shows you that being on top is fleeting.

Silva, St Pierre, Conor- they were all baddest man in the world at one point, for a long time.  Now there are people that would kick all their asses

I have always noticed that the teams I hate (in various sports leagues) are the ones that have done the most damage to MY team, over the years.

For this reason, as a Sabres fan, I will forever despise the Bruins, Canadiens, Flyers and others, like you can't imagine.  And yes, the harmless teams I really don't care much about.

It's like what did the Vancouver Canucks ever really do to us?  They have  been around just as long and never won the Cup either; I actually sympathize for them.

It's the same with NFL--I'll forever hate anyone in our division or former division maters (Indy comes to mind), and yet I have always kind of liked a team like Seattle.  There's just not a lot of bad history between us, and until very recently, Seattle never did squat.

Having said all of this, I find that I do a lot more pro-cheering for my teams than I do hating of the opposition.

Nowadays at my age, it takes a special sort of circumstance to really develop a sports related hatred.

When I was a kid it came easy! 

😂

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Success said:

If you watch long enough, you end up hating most other teams.  The ones you don't hate are the ones who haven't won anything.  Then, if they win something, you're kind of happy for them, but it's brief. If they have continued success after that, you start to hate them too.

And as for your own team, you hope for a day when they can be hated too.  A lot of opposing fans liked the Bills until fairly recently, but are starting to hate them now because they win, even though they haven't won it all.  If they win it all, they'll definitely be hated.

It's kind of a negative experience if you really think about it. And that's not even covering the idea that you spend endless hours over decades experiencing heartbreak, frustration and even anger, all so you can POSSIBLY have a moment of joy, or maybe a few.

Sports are weird.

I still feel like fans of other teams end up rooting for the Bills once their team is eliminated from the playoffs. 

They’ve managed to stay like-able as they’ve become perennial Super Bowl contenders.

Even random fans of other AFCE teams will tell me they’re pulling for Buffalo during the postseason.  

I think it’s pretty cool. 

• Agree 1

It’s just a strange concept that in every sport there’s 30+ teams and even if all 30 teams won a championship in 30 years you would have to wait 31 years to win it a second time. Add in the fact that there are dynasties and then teams run like dumpster fires with bad ownership and are perennial losers, what a concept 

Edited by Bills!Win!

I find now that it's the fans of other teams that bug me the most. Sure, I don't want any team in the division to win a single game other than Buffalo, but that is more for the sake of Buffalo. 
A lot of fans think their team is ...... and nothing you say can ever be considered worthy of their time. Your team sucks, period. Gets old really. 

On 7/8/2023 at 6:20 PM, Success said:

Sports are weird.

I think what you are describing is some fans being weird.   Not sports.  If you like the actual sports it's a much different experience than you are describing.    

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think what you are describing is some fans being weird.   Not sports.  If you like the actual sports it's a much different experience than you are describing.    

Fan involvement is integral to the experience of sports. 

I get what you're saying.  I can just watch the sport and appreciate what I'm seeing.  But that doesn't exist in a vacuum.  I mean, I don't really hate ANY team.  But once you add fans to the equation...

13 hours ago, Success said:

Fan involvement is integral to the experience of sports. 

I get what you're saying.  I can just watch the sport and appreciate what I'm seeing.  But that doesn't exist in a vacuum.  I mean, I don't really hate ANY team.  But once you add fans to the equation...

When it comes to true hatred there are only a few that really register on my list....I mean TRUE hatred.

1) Yankees

2) Toronto Maple Leafs

3) New England Patriots

That might be it; many years ago I remember fondly absolutely HATING the Miami Dolphins.  For me, that all went away probably 20 years ago.  We were both just too meaningless for too long.

• Like (+1) 1

You can tell how old a Bills fan if you ask them which team they hate the most.  Miami is still my most hated team, after going 0 for the 70s.  Old Bills fans hate the Dolphins and Cowboys.  Younger Bills Mafia hates New England and KC

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.