Bear sighted near Como Park in Lancaster

Wacka

The news today said that a young bear probably kicked out of the den was spotted on the banks of Cayuga Creek  just downstream  of Como Lake Park. Recent years  have had sightings in Amherst/Clarence, Cheektowaga (near Aero Drive) and West Seneca. 

Quite a while ago the State Troopers  found a young bear dead  hit by a car, on the side of the 190 ear the Smith Street exit in Buffalo.

Edited by Wacka

• Wacka changed the title to Bear sighted near Como Park in Lancaster
6 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Bear a little smaller than that tried to get into my cabin near Letchworth last week. Caught it on trail cam walking pretty far. 

My take is... IMO... Environment getting cleaner, they are having a harder time surviving and become habitualized towards human.  There used to be open dumps, etc... Where they could go, now everything is sealed and transferred far away. Sure they are gonna root through the trash or greasy grill on a deck. 

Not against a clean environment... But how about going back to the "Fly Paper" approach... You make your gabage locally, you dump it locally.

On 6/24/2023 at 9:46 PM, Wacka said:

The news today said that a young bear probably kicked out of the den was spotted on the banks of Cayuga Creek  just downstream  of Como Lake Park. Recent years  have had sightings in Amherst/Clarence, Cheektowaga (near Aero Drive) and West Seneca. 

Quite a while ago the State Troopers  found a young bear dead  hit by a car, on the side of the 190 ear the Smith Street exit in Buffalo.

I grew up in that area... just a few blocks away across Broadway. Sounds like you are describing what we used to call "the flats", the area of the creek between Lake Ave. and the bridge on Broadway. Never saw a bear the entire time I lived in WNY, even in rural Wyoming County. 

One other thing... that isn't a lake at the park, its just a big pond... and the "lighthouse" is just a novelty structure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

I grew up in that area... just a few blocks away across Broadway. Sounds like you are describing what we used to call "the flats", the area of the creek between Lake Ave. and the bridge on Broadway. Never saw a bear the entire time I lived in WNY, even in rural Wyoming County. 

One other thing... that isn't a lake at the park, its just a big pond... and the "lighthouse" is just a novelty structure.

I grew up on Laverack

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, T&C said:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/57902/whats-difference-between-lake-and-pond

"Guess what? There is no official scientific difference between a lake and a pond. In fact, the only real criteria to categorize something as a lake or pond is that the area in question must be a standing or slow-moving body of water surrounded by land."

It's actually a small, very small lake since it's on the Cayuga Crick... 😏... Definitely an inlet and outlet.

Have at it.  A pond is standing water. 😆 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/57902/whats-difference-between-lake-and-pond

"Guess what? There is no official scientific difference between a lake and a pond. In fact, the only real criteria to categorize something as a lake or pond is that the area in question must be a standing or slow-moving body of water surrounded by land."

It's actually a small, very small lake since it's on the Cayuga Crick... 😏... Definitely an inlet and outlet.

Have at it.  A pond is standing water. 😆 

Thanks for your extensive research. Then it's neither... more like a bump in the road so to say. It's puny. I'll never call it a lake lol...

But, in Wyoming County we had a tiny creek that went into a pond that was maybe 30 yards across with an outlet... I used to ride a horse across it. No way was that a lake. 

Edited by T&C
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, T&C said:

Thanks for your extensive research. Then it's neither... more like a bump in the road so to say. It's puny. I'll never call it a lake lol...

But, in Wyoming County we had a tiny creek that went into a pond that was maybe 30 yards across with an outlet... I used to ride a horse across it. No way was that a lake. 

I detect sarcasm.  😆 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.