(OT)100 Greatest Guitar Players...

#1, with a bullet.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

349131[/snapback]

D'oh!

No disrespect to Cobain, he was a decent songwriter and Nirvana was a landmark band in the grunge genre and they played together well, but I think even he would have admitted that he couldn't hold a candle to the guitar playing of a good portion of list and certainly not Garcia. This high ranking was done to merely to placate the younger fans of that time. Alomst like a representative vote.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that he's saying how screwed up it is that they'd list Cobain as a guitarist ahead of Garcia.  I don't think he's making fun of him.

349110[/snapback]

IMHO they're both ranked about 90 spots too high. I don't dislike either, but I don't believe that either is an exceptionally talented guitarist.

I don't think either one of them deserves to be ranked that high, but looking at the rest of the list, I'm not terribly surprised they are, afterall, it was a longtime ago that Rolling Stone was counter-culture. Now they're nothing more than a glorified Teen Beat.

The main problem with Cobain being on the list is that most of you all probably have atleast one casual guitar playing friend who is a better player than he was, or you may even play better yourself. Most of the kids I've taught over the years can play better than him, and we're just talking a couple years of lessons, nothing crazy here. It really makes no sense based on the title of the list. There are probably thousands of established guitarists who are better than a few of the people on this list.

D'oh!

No disrespect to Cobain, he was a decent songwriter and Nirvana was a landmark band in the grunge genre and they played together well, but I think even he would have admitted that he couldn't hold a candle to the guitar playing of a good portion of list and certainly not Garcia.  This high ranking  was done to merely to placate the younger fans of that time. Alomst like a representative vote.

349140[/snapback]

he wrote good songs. nothing is harder than that.

The main problem with Cobain being on the list is that most of you all probably have atleast one casual guitar playing friend who is a better player than he was, or you may even play better yourself. Most of the kids I've taught over the years can play better than him, and we're just talking a couple years of lessons, nothing crazy here. It really makes no sense based on the title of the list.

349301[/snapback]

hey 34-78-83, sorry to harp on this, but i've gotta stick up for songwriters - cobain was a phenomenal songwriter, and that counts for something in my book.

hey 34-78-83, sorry to harp on this, but i've gotta stick up for songwriters - cobain was a phenomenal songwriter, and that counts for something in my book.

349303[/snapback]

I wouldn't agree on phenominal, but that's just personal preference. Regrdless, the list speaks of the 100 best guitar players and has no mention of songwriting ability, which as I mentioned before I hold in very high regard as well. No problem on the "harping " btw :lol:

What about Rik Emmit? My God, the guy excels at almost every style of guitar playing. 6, Strings, 12 strings, electric, accoustic, rock, blues, jazz. RS put far too many one-trick horses on their list.

Cantrell? He wrote good songs and is a far better guitarist than Cobain.. not on the list.

349673[/snapback]

I don't even see what songwriting has to do w/ a person's ability to play the guitar well. Isn't this list supposed to be about guitar players, not singer/songwriters?

What about Rik Emmit?  My God, the guy excels at almost every style of guitar playing.  6, Strings, 12 strings, electric, accoustic, rock, blues, jazz.  RS put far too many one-trick horses on their list.

349658[/snapback]

And if you include Emmit (good call), Pat Travers has to be right there as well.

I don't even see what songwriting has to do w/ a person's ability to play the guitar well.  Isn't this list supposed to be about guitar players, not singer/songwriters?

349680[/snapback]

You're 100% correct. But.. when the conversation turned to songwriters, I felt compelled to bring up my opinion that Cantrell is a better guitar player and songwriter than Cobain. Sorry, to much coffee for me this morning. :doh: