(OT)100 Greatest Guitar Players...

Good to see at least a smattering of punk rock representation on this list.

Here’s my top ten Punk/New Wave

Johnny Ramone- Ramones

Ron Ashton- Stooges

Bob Stinson- Replacements

Cheetah Chrome- Dead Boys

Johnny Thunders-NYDolls/Heartbreakers

East Bay Ray- Dead Kennedys

Billy Zoom- X

Ricky Wilson-B52s

Richie Stotts-Plasmatics

Bob 1- DEVO

A case could also be made for Stan Lee of the Dickies.

Maybe I'll blog a top 100 punk/new wave/hardcore at some point.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta agree that this list is way off. I can see why putting together such a list is not an easy thing to do, but come on, Joan Jett is listed but not guys like Petrucci, Steve Vai or Buck Darma from BOC? I must agree to with whoever commented on Richie Blackmore being too low - he should be much higher.

I can't even look at this list without laughing or puking :rolleyes:

Kurt Cobaine, a guitar player?

I'll reluctantly give him good innovator, songwriter status, but as a guitar player most are his peer by the time they hit a year or so of lessons.

Rolling Stone lost it's credibilty a long long time ago. This joke list will not help it's search.

348253[/snapback]

They're classic sell-outs. Articles praising war, republicans, law and order. The PC party line all the time. Useless.

I can't even look at this list without laughing or puking  :rolleyes:

Kurt Cobaine, a guitar player?

I'll reluctantly give him good innovator, songwriter status, but as a guitar player most are his peer by the time they hit a year or so of lessons.

348259[/snapback]

part of being considered good is being able to write inspired songs. it ain't easy. in fact, it's a lot harder than technical virtuosity. writing good songs of direct simplicity ain't easy either. both kurt cobain and jack white can do that. this isn't directed at you since you don't mention richie blackmore, but in my opinion he has never written a song as good as seven nation army, hotel yorba, or on a plain. the most memorable song he's ever played on is smoke on the water, and that's about as elemental a riff that there is.

part of being considered good is being able to write inspired songs. it ain't easy. in fact, it's a lot harder than technical virtuosity. writing good songs of direct simplicity ain't easy either. both kurt cobain and jack white can do that. this isn't directed at you since you don't mention richie blackmore, but in my opinion he has never written a song as good as seven nation army, hotel yorba, or on a plain. the most memorable song he's ever played on is smoke on the water, and that's about as elemental a riff that there is.

348268[/snapback]

p.s. i forgot to add that this list is an utter joke. it's a bad idea gone wrong, as they say ...

348268[/snapback]

I agree, and don't even care about virtuosity. In fact the best asset of my lead singer/rhythm guitar player in my band is his simplicity in writing. He has such a knack for producing simple yet effective, powerful, memorable tunes. But Kurt was not a guitar player to consider on any list of top anything. Neither are about 30 others on this list.

Not that that'd be a bad thing.

DUDE! Where in the ninth circle of hell have YOU been?

348267[/snapback]

"Ninth Circle of hell" :rolleyes:

I'm usually lurking, not posting much. Lots of activity here anymore. I can't keep up. I remember the old days of the threds that would go off the side of the page.

"Ninth Circle of hell"    :rolleyes:

I'm usually lurking, not posting much.  Lots of activity here anymore. I can't keep up. I remember the old days of the threds

that

would

go

off

the

side

of

the

page.

Ahh

good

times!

348280[/snapback]

Shoot me a PM once a decade, huh? Nice to see some of the old school still alive and kicking. And yeah, I miss the threaded view, too. :ph34r:

Shoot me a PM once a decade, huh? Nice to see some of the old school still alive and kicking. And yeah, I miss the threaded view, too. :ph34r:

348283[/snapback]

I will. Are you going to camp?? The Mrs. and me are going.

I'll shoot you a PM.

:rolleyes:

348268[/snapback]

Check out the stuff Blackmore did with Rainbow. "Gates of Babylon" on the Long Live Rock and Roll album is an amazing song and not just because of the technical virtuosity.

If I though virtuosity was all important, I'd be screaming that Yngwie J. Malmesteen wasn't on the list. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right...neither Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Tom Scholz, nor Steve Vai make the top 100...but Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac is #38, Joan Jett (?????) is #87, and The Edge ("Look at me! I can play an open fifth! Now a fourth! Now a fifth again!") is ranked above Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Vernon Reid, and Brian May.

What the sh--? Did they just write down names in the order in which they picked them out of a hat? Beause they sure as hell didn't put any meaningful thought into it...

Yeah, right...neither Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Tom Scholz, nor Steve Vai make the top 100...but Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac is #38, Joan Jett (?????) is #87, and The Edge ("Look at me!  I can play an open fifth!  Now a fourth!  Now a fifth again!") is ranked above Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Vernon Reid, and Brian May. 

What the sh--?  Did they just write down names in the order in which they picked them out of a hat?  Beause they sure as hell didn't put any meaningful thought into it...

348302[/snapback]

I agree. I was really surprised that Joe Satriani did not make the list (well actually on second review of the list I'm not), but that list is just about the biggest pile of garbage I've ever seen.

All I can think of is Joni Mitchell singing "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." while strumming the same three chords.