(OT)100 Greatest Guitar Players...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Cantrell's Boggy Depot CD.  I listen to that almost every time I have to make a long car trip.

349709[/snapback]

I just finished listening to Degredation Trip.. now I've moved to Hendrix: Live at the Filmore East :doh:

So are they giving greatest weight to songwriting? Showmanship? Virtuosity? Influence? Who the hell knows?

BTW, Kirk Hammett at 11 completely invalidates this list. His only gift is he can learn the riffs and solos that Hetfield tells him to play. And jumps real high when James tells him to jump.

And even if it didn't, Frusciante at 18 or The Edge at 24 would. Jeez, the Edge got his name not because he was cutting edge, but because he's right on the edge of knowing how to play his instrument. Blackmore at 55, and Eddie Van Halen below Vernon Reid? David Gilmour and Randy Rhoads below... Robert Quine? :doh:

I might as well pile on some omissions while I'm at it... where are Axel Rudi Pell and Kai Hansen?

Jack White @ 17 is a joke, no way in hell he's in the top 20. Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi, & Angus Young didn't get very much respect on the list either.

348220[/snapback]

I just finished listening to Degredation Trip.. now I've moved to Hendrix: Live at the Filmore East :doh:

349713[/snapback]

Jerry C needs someone to tell him when the right time is to end a song. He has Metallica-itis; what would be a nice 3 or 4 minute song is a complete drag when it's 7 or 8.

So are they giving greatest weight to songwriting? Showmanship? Virtuosity? Influence? Who the hell knows?

BTW, Kirk Hammett at 11 completely invalidates this list. His only gift is he can learn the riffs and solos that Hetfield tells him to play. And jumps real high when James tells him to jump.

And even if it didn't, Frusciante at 18 or The Edge at 24 would. Jeez, the Edge got his name not because he was cutting edge, but because he's right on the edge of knowing how to play his instrument. Blackmore at 55, and Eddie Van Halen below Vernon Reid? David Gilmour and Randy Rhoads below... Robert Quine?  :doh:

I might as well pile on some omissions while I'm at it... where are Axel Rudi Pell and Kai Hansen?

349735[/snapback]

You get extra points by even knowing who Kai Hansen is. :)

Heck, R. Rich is a better guitar player than Cobain  :doh:

349711[/snapback]

Not really. I can play fairly decent, but that's it. I am a pretty good bass player and I've played piano for about 31 years. I used to also play saxophone in my middle school/high school band, but I sold my sax (what a dumba**) back in '86.

Not really.  I can play fairly decent, but that's it.  I am a pretty good bass player and I've played piano for about 31 years.  I used to also play saxophone in my middle school/high school band, but I sold my sax (what a dumba**) back in '86.

349769[/snapback]

31 years on piano? Feel like moving on up to WNY any time soon? We could use a man like you :doh:

When I listen to Hendrix, I usually listen to the "Blues" CD.  I love that one!

349777[/snapback]

The "Blues" disc is great.. but Jimi and Buddy Miles performance of "Machine Gun" on the Filmore East disc is amazing.

This list is a crock:

No Marty Friedman.

No Kirk Hammet

Hell, even Cliff Burtn, a bass player, was better than half these guys.

I'm sorry, but not putting one of the greatest lead guitarists in all of heavy metal history is craptastic to say the least.

348228[/snapback]

Hammett is there at 11

hey 34-78-83, sorry to harp on this, but i've gotta stick up for songwriters - cobain was a phenomenal songwriter, and that counts for something in my book.

349303[/snapback]

So shouldn't he be on a "Top 100 Songwriters List"? This list is (theoretically) the best guitar players, not songwriters. If songwriting was the be-all end-all of guitar greatness, why isn't Bob Dylan listed in the top 10?