Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

well that is the ultimate goal. So if those chances are all but gone you may be right. It's one way to think about it.  thanks 

Look at the standings it's not pretty for the Sabres or my Isles. Unless Detroit or Tampa collapse which I doubt these end of season wins are meaningless.

That was a great performance from start to finish.  I thought the Sabres outplayed the Canes by a healthy margin but failed to capitalize on too many chances.  UPL played another great game.  Glad to hear the fans getting into it and deservedly so.  

I will do my best to enjoy the rest of the run.  Hope they can at least make it interesting.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Wouldn't it be better if the Sabres lost at this point. They are not making the playoffs so losing and getting a higher draft pick and maybe winning the draft lottery is the better option. The Sabres should follow what my Islanders are doing and lose games. Of course, the Isles aren't trying to lose they just flat-out suck.

The Sabres are beyond tanking for draft status and future prospects.  This is a team that needs to learn how to win on a consistent basis at the NHL level.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Sabres are beyond tanking for draft status and future prospects.  This is a team that needs to learn how to win on a consistent basis at the NHL level.  

Yeah losing for better draft picks got old after about the 10th consecutive season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsPride12 said:

But what are these meaningless wins accomplishing. I have seen this many times with the Islanders teams over the years. Going back to the fish stick jerseys with Milbury. They would be out the playoff race by Thanksgiving then at the end of the year they would start playing well and winning meaningless games. Of course, it didn't carry over to the next season as they would suck again and be out of the playoff race by Thanksgiving again.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

But what are these meaningless wins accomplishing. I have seen this many times with the Islanders teams over the years. Going back to the fish stick jerseys with Milbury. They would be out the playoff race by Thanksgiving then at the end of the year they would start playing well and winning meaningless games. Of course, it didn't carry over to the next season as they would suck again and be out of the playoff race by Thanksgiving again.

Their cupboard is already stocked full of future prospects.  So many that we won't even be able to keep all of them here.  The wins are not meaningless if they are truly learning how to Win.  It's funny this topic comes up today as I was just watching Episode 2 of The Last Dance yesterday and Michael Jordan talked about how he was pissed off at the Bulls organization in his second season because they were holding him back and not letting him play many minutes when he came back from an injury because at that point it clearly looked like they were tanking for better draft position but he said as an athlete he promised himself the Bulls would get into the playoffs every year he was there and he wanted nothing to do with tanking.  At this point I would hope that's how our players feel!  There would be a serious problem if the players in that locker room are on board with losing for the sake of draft picks.  

• Like (+1) 1

UPCOMING EVENTS

Feb272024

🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ Florida Panthers4:00 PM - 7:00 PM PSTAmerant Bank Arena

Its a Sabres Tuesday folks. Going for 4 in a row. Buckle up Fans LETS GO SABRES

😎 lets ride until we die *metaphorically speaking* lol

On 2/26/2024 at 11:15 AM, BillsPride12 said:

Their cupboard is already stocked full of future prospects.  So many that we won't even be able to keep all of them here.  The wins are not meaningless if they are truly learning how to Win.  It's funny this topic comes up today as I was just watching Episode 2 of The Last Dance yesterday and Michael Jordan talked about how he was pissed off at the Bulls organization in his second season because they were holding him back and not letting him play many minutes when he came back from an injury because at that point it clearly looked like they were tanking for better draft position but he said as an athlete he promised himself the Bulls would get into the playoffs every year he was there and he wanted nothing to do with tanking.  At this point I would hope that's how our players feel!  There would be a serious problem if the players in that locker room are on board with losing for the sake of draft picks.  

It was a guarantee once the pressure was off, this team would start to perform again. Saw the same thing last year...they  actually got themselves into a playoff position for a day..then went in the tank for about 3 weeks. Once everyone assumed they were dead, including themselves..they went on a great run to end the season.

They felt the pressure this season from the onset,  and played like it. Losing the two games out of the break was when we all knew, and they knew, they were cooked for a playoff spot.

Pressure relieved....wins start to come.

My biggest fear is them winning these"meaningless games", as they did last year, and KA bringing the band back intact again next year, just as he did this year.

These false positives for this mentally weak team could be the death knell for next year too...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It was a guarantee once the pressure was off, this team would start to perform again. Saw the same thing last year...they  actually got themselves into a playoff position for a day..then went in the tank for about 3 weeks. Once everyone assumed they were dead, including themselves..they went on a great run to end the season.

They felt the pressure this season from the onset,  and played like it. Losing the two games out of the break was when we all knew, and they knew, they were cooked for a playoff spot.

My biggest fear is them winning these"meaningless games", as they did last year, and KA bringing the band back intact again next year, just as he did this year.

These false positives for this mentally weak team could be the death knell for next year too...

This take I agree with.  I too fear this might be a group that collectively just can't handle the pressure.  No matter what happens as they finish this year out Adams absolutely cannot sit back on his hands and just run it back with this same group without making any changes in the offseason or even at the trade deadline.  But at this point we have to at least hope half of this current roster would be equipped to move forward.  Tanking just isn't worth it at this point.  It takes too long for NHL prospects to develop and we already have so many of them.  We need to continue to move forward while still making the proper changes along the way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

It worked for me post Krueger but its tough to get behind this narrative 3 years straight if they don't make the playoffs this year.  Its a nearly impossible pace to qualify.  Last year it was reasonable in February but they choked it away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I told hubby this team will not win having about half as many shots on goal as  the Panthers over 2 periods.

as Turk said its do or die time down by a goal going into the third  period. THIS IS DOABLE

• Like (+1) 1