Juneteenth 2023

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

its interesting how fast this moved to being a thing/Holiday 

10 years ago, no one outside the inner cities had a clue. 

This is incorrect. From Wikipedia:

"In the late 1970s, when the Texas Legislature declared Juneteenth a "holiday of significance ... particularly to the blacks of Texas,"[45] it became the first state to establish Juneteenth as a state holiday.[61] The bill passed through the Texas Legislature in 1979 and was officially made a state holiday on January 1, 1980. Before 2000, three more U.S. states officially observed the day, and over the next two decades it was recognized as an official observance in all states, except South Dakota, until becoming a federal holiday.[4]"

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

June is also Mens Health Month.

https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/mens-health/

We already knew that all men are transphobic though. 

cis straight men I mean. Not trans men. Except if youre a trans man and also a republican, then you're a transphobe too. 

Trans women can't be transphobic because they are feminists. Unless you're Caitlin Jenner.

Cis women? Those are just people with uteruses.

And remember if you're a person who is assigned male at birth you can erase your transphobe status by identifying as female whenever you want, provided you're a registered Democrat.

When you learn about how to assign labels to groups of people based on their immutable characteristics AND also realize that those same people can change their identity and their immutable characteristics at any moment in time by simply wishing it so.... its easy peasy.

And remember, once you figure out how to group people using the criteria above, then you have to know their political ideology so you can truly know if you're placing them into neat, orderly silos.

It's not hard. It's science.

And don't ask about the rare instances when people change parties like @ChiGoose

That's when it gets messy and the science isn't crystal clear.

1 hour ago, DrW said:

This is incorrect. From Wikipedia:

"In the late 1970s, when the Texas Legislature declared Juneteenth a "holiday of significance ... particularly to the blacks of Texas,"[45] it became the first state to establish Juneteenth as a state holiday.[61] The bill passed through the Texas Legislature in 1979 and was officially made a state holiday on January 1, 1980. Before 2000, three more U.S. states officially observed the day, and over the next two decades it was recognized as an official observance in all states, except South Dakota, until becoming a federal holiday.[4]"

Ok.  I have never actually been to Texas.  But the church with the 20 foot tall black Jesus was putting on parties in the 90's that went for the weekend.  

But back then wikipedia didn't exist.  We had a row of books on a shelf.  

Let me ask this again….since nobody knows what the heck Juneteenth means, why don’t they change the day to Emancipation Day before this gets rolling. I have no problem with celebrating the occasion but this is an utterly ridiculous title for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me ask this again….since nobody knows what the heck Juneteenth means, why don’t they change the day to Emancipation Day before this gets rolling. I have no problem with celebrating the occasion but this is an utterly ridiculous title for it. 

it's what the people celebrating their freedom called it.  The exact date is fluid because different states had different dates of emancipation.  Texas was last on June 19th.   It's a perfectly appropriate title.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It's what they have called it forever.   People/crt would say white took the name and appropriated it if the name was changed 

Edited by Chris farley
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

From: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/what-is-juneteenth/

The name comes from the date June 19, 1865:

"The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.” —General Orders, Number 3; Headquarters District of Texas, Galveston, June 19, 1865

And the name "Juneteenth" has been around for more than 150 years:

"Defying confusion and delay, terror and violence, the newly “freed” black men and women of Texas, with the aid of the Freedmen’s Bureau (itself delayed from arriving until September 1865), now had a date to rally around. In one of the most inspiring grassroots efforts of the post-Civil War period, they transformed June 19 from a day of unheeded military orders into their own annual rite, “Juneteenth,” beginning one year later in 1866."

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s a black thing (or a white Karen, not sure which), you wouldn’t understand. Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrW said:

From: https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/what-is-juneteenth/

The name comes from the date June 19, 1865:

"The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.” —General Orders, Number 3; Headquarters District of Texas, Galveston, June 19, 1865

And the name "Juneteenth" has been around for more than 150 years:

"Defying confusion and delay, terror and violence, the newly “freed” black men and women of Texas, with the aid of the Freedmen’s Bureau (itself delayed from arriving until September 1865), now had a date to rally around. In one of the most inspiring grassroots efforts of the post-Civil War period, they transformed June 19 from a day of unheeded military orders into their own annual rite, “Juneteenth,” beginning one year later in 1866."

So it's a transgender holiday?  

Just now, redtail hawk said:

It’s a holiday for all… even racists

As one who feels comfortable throwing “Uncle Tom” around and walking the anti-Semite vs anti-Zionist tightrope, this is certainly good news for you. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

It’s a holiday for all… even racists

So you have the day off then?  I'm not sure if I do.  It's a real holiday right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

As one who feels comfortable throwing “Uncle Tom” around and walking the anti-Semite vs anti-Zionist tightrope, this is certainly good news for you. 

Did u see Clarence’s position on the SCOTUS  Alabama gerrymandering ruling?

Edited by redtail hawk