Fox settles with Dominion

I know many on here are all excited about this story (and I don’t condone the spread of misinformation) but I highly doubt that FOX did their own investigative reporting on this story. Most of these outlets just repeat what they’ve harvested from outside sources with little time or budget for source checking and confirmation. Seems to me this settlement opens the door for a litigation frenzy by all sorts or private companies and citizens who get caught up in the 24 hour news cycle. No? 

Edited by SoCal Deek

35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know many on here are all excited about this story (and I don’t condone the spread of misinformation) but I highly doubt that FOX did their own investigative reporting on this story. Most of these outlets just repeat what they’ve harvested from outside sources with little time or budget for source checking and confirmation. Seems to me this settlement opens the door for a litigation frenzy by all sorts or private companies and citizens who get caught up in the 24 hour news cycle. No? 

It a sure bet armys of attorneys are pouring over footage as we speak to find the next.

Wouldn’t it be incredible if our litigious society is what inspires hope the media can be fixed? 

if a little 20 million per year company can command that kind of settlement, imagine the settlement a bigger company could command. 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It a sure bet armys of attorneys are pouring over footage as we speak to find the next.

Wouldn’t it be incredible if our litigious society is what inspires hope the media can be fixed? 

if a little 20 million per year company can command that kind of settlement, imagine the settlement a bigger company could command. 

I guess I agree in theory but the only reason anyone watches any of these channels is for the sensationalism that they stir up. Before they found their niche nobody watched any of them. I’m probably more concerned that we’ve lost the ability to distinguish between traditional hard news and in essence what is nothing more than Op Ed style broadcasting. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This settlement changes absolutely nothing about defamation law. 

The only reason Fox wasn’t able to get this case dismissed, and the reason it ended up settling for what may be the biggest defamation settlement in US history, is because there is documented evidence that they knew they were lying. 

If they truly believed what they were saying, and didn’t have a reckless disregard for the truth, they would have won a motion to dismiss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I guess I agree in theory but the only reason anyone watches any of these channels is for the sensationalism that they stir up. Before they found their niche nobody watched any of them. I’m probably more concerned that we’ve lost the ability to distinguish between traditional hard news and in essence what is nothing more than Op Ed style broadcasting. 

Hoping the result of this is more clear labeling of opinion by all media..and that they rid themselves or muzzle the loose cannons as the NR article stated. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Hoping the result of this is more clear labeling of opinion by all media..and that they rid themselves or muzzle the loose cannons as the NR article stated. 

If anyone thinks a show with a live audience is hard news, I urge them to rewatch the movie Network. 😉 Howard Beal was the best! 

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If anyone thinks a show with a live audience is hard news, I urge them to rewatch the movie Network. 😉 Howard Beal was the best! 

many people think many entertainment shows are hard news.  That's precisely the problem.  The genre must be explicitly stated and it may be in the future given the litigation risks.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You'd think so.

But what you outlined here will clearly only apply to reporting by non leftist media outlets going forward.

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

many people think many entertainment shows are hard news.  That's precisely the problem.  The genre must be explicitly stated and it may be in the future given the litigation risks.

CNN is one of the most damaging things to happen to this country and then Fox came around and said “hold my beer”

The commoditization of the news has created political bubbles and dumbed us down by pretending infotainment is an adequate substitute for actual news. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

CNN is one of the most damaging things to happen to this country and then Fox came around and said “hold my beer”

The commoditization of the news has created political bubbles and dumbed us down by pretending infotainment is an adequate substitute for actual news. 

Sounds like you’re mad as hell and won’t take this anymore! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Lol. I certainly don’t watch cable “news”

Occasionally I may put on WGN for local news but otherwise, it’s just C-SPAN or PBS if there’s an interesting live event. 

I prefer to pay for news so the product is the news instead of my eyeballs being sold to advertisers.

7 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

You forgot what Rush Limbaugh did to this country. Idiots listening to this POS every day and we wonder why boomers are so fkd up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

But Fox News has been revealed to be more Ron Burgundy ("it doesn't matter who or what the Trump Campaign sends over, he'll put it on the air!), less Howard Beale. 

From somewhere in pervy former commenter hell, in a room adjacent to Charlie Rose, Bill O'Reilly admits as much:

https://thehill.com/media/3957726-bill-oreilly-criticizes-fox-news-following-settlement-the-nightmare-will-continue/

[Guilty pleasure confession: I used to watch O'Reilly from time to time. It was newstainment of a different sort. Sometimes I agreed with him, sometimes he was the man I loved to hate.]

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

You forgot what Rush Limbaugh did to this country. Idiots listening to this POS every day and we wonder why boomers are so fkd up.

I will also half-heartedly defend Rush Limbaugh. There was a time in the early 90s when I had a hellish long commute and I'd listen to him regularly. He was funny back then. The people he skewered kind of deserved it. Then Newt and his ilk took over Congress, they started sucking up to a guy who used to be a smallish market (Sacramento) local blowhard, and he started spewing 100% party line stuff. The fun part died, the fake indignation part took over, and it all got very boring. The difference between O'Reilly 2005 and Hannity 2017.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

They didn't have to prove anything.  FOX wisely settled with it about to go to trial with a Delaware jury pool and a hostile judge.

I see you are now a jury consultant too. I have no idea who was on that jury and neither do you.

As for the judge: yeah, Fox's lawyers hid some stuff in discovery, and that's probably the best way to piss off a judge. And then they tried to play the age card with Rupert Murdoch, saying it would be too difficult for him to travel all the way from NYC to Wilmington in one of his private jets. The judge called Murdoch's bluff, and Murdoch folded. Simple as that.

The judge told Fox's attorneys not to make him "look like an idiot."

The remarks came at the outset of a pre-trial hearing when Judge Eric M. Davis noted that he previously had received a letter stating that the 92-year-old Murdoch "couldn't travel" to the trial in Delaware because of COVID.

"I also have people telling me that he's done some things recently that [show] he's hardly infirm," Davis said, noting that Murdoch had recently announced his engagement to be married for the fifth time and plans to travel between his homes in Los Angeles, Montana, New York and London.

12 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But Fox News has been revealed to be more Ron Burgundy ("it doesn't matter who or what the Trump Campaign sends over, he'll put it on the air!), less Howard Beale. 

From somewhere in pervy former commenter hell, in a room adjacent to Charlie Rose, Bill O'Reilly admits as much:

https://thehill.com/media/3957726-bill-oreilly-criticizes-fox-news-following-settlement-the-nightmare-will-continue/

[Guilty pleasure confession: I used to watch O'Reilly from time to time. It was newstainment of a different sort. Sometimes I agreed with him, sometimes he was the man I loved to hate.]

I will also half-heartedly defend Rush Limbaugh. There was a time in the early 90s when I had a hellish long commute and I'd listen to him regularly. He was funny back then. The people he skewered kind of deserved it. Then Newt and his ilk took over Congress, they started sucking up to a guy who used to be a smallish market (Sacramento) local blowhard, and he started spewing 100% party line stuff. The fun part died, the fake indignation part took over, and it all got very boring. The difference between O'Reilly 2005 and Hannity 2017.

Howard Beale's character had good intentions.  He stumbled onto some corporatocray news and "meddled with the primal forces of nature".  I believe the boardroom scene with a master of the universe demanding atonement could really happen- perhaps Murdoch with one of his shills.  But it didn't happen to the lying election deniers.  They carried on like their jobs depended on it...and given their audience, they likely did.  They weren't necessarily nefarious (although I believe most were), they were just looking out for themselves.  Murdoch saw dollars...and perhaps a place in a US dictatorship.

Rush limbaugh was a racist.  He proved it many times.  And he helped make overt racism socially acceptable (at least in MAGA circles) again.  Completely agree on Newt Gingrich, another top villain in recent American history.  I've seen him speak.  Total snake but somehow stupid people are attracted to snakes.  They often don't even realize when they're getting bitten.  Go figure.  Oh, and O'reilly is providing revidsionist history stating that "Fair and Balanced" was an actual code of ethics at Fox during his tenure.

Edited by redtail hawk

Newsweek and Axios also got in on the defamation fun as well?

Of course. Our elections were clearly vulnerable prior to November 2020.  Said everyone. Then not only did that infrastructure become secure, but it became the most secure election infrastructure in US history.

But commies don't care when their ever changing propaganda narrative veers into the patently absurd. They've got useful idiots to perpetually nod in agreement.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Newsweek and Axios also got in on the defamation fun as well?

Of course. Our elections were clearly vulnerable prior to November 2020.  Said everyone. Then not only did that infrastructure become secure, but it became the most secure election infrastructure in US history.

But commies don't care when their ever changing propaganda narrative veers into the patently absurd. They've got useful idiots to perpetually nod in agreement.

it must hurt incessantly to be a chronic victim...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Howard Beale's character had good intentions.  He stumbled onto some corporatocray news and "meddled with the primal forces of nature".  I believe the boardroom scene with a master of the universe demanding atonement could really happen- perhaps Murdoch with one of his shills.  But it didn't happen to the lying election deniers.  They carried on like their jobs depended on it...and given their audience, they likely did.  They weren't necessarily nefarious (although I believe most were), they were just looking out for themselves.  Murdoch saw dollars...and perhaps a place in a US dictatorship.

Rush limbaugh was a racist.  He proved it many times.  And he helped make overt racism socially acceptable (at least in MAGA circles) again.  Completely agree on Newt Gingrich, another top villain in recent American history.  I've seen him speak.  Total snake but somehow stupid people are attracted to snakes.  They often don't even realize when they're getting bitten.  Go figure.  Oh, and O'reilly is providing revidsionist history stating that "Fair and Balanced" was an actual code of ethics at Fox during his tenure.

So if I understand your latest superdeep analysis, there's really nobody that you like other than totally 'progressive' leftists. It would've been easier just to say that.