Terrel Bernard Discussion

Yantha

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what has he done to show he’s capable of even being on the field defensively, let alone starting? I’d like to be proven wrong, just don’t see it

I remember when people were ready to dump Allen after 1 year…how did that work out?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

what has he done to show he’s capable of even being on the field defensively, let alone starting? I’d like to be proven wrong, just don’t see it

My optimism is based off trust in our coaches ability to develop linebackers, what Bernard did well last year, and what he was known for in college. Players take big steps from years 1 to year 2.

Just now, whorlnut said:

I remember when people were ready to dump Allen after 1 year…how did that work out?

And Tyler Bass after literally 2 kicks.

This board demands instant gratification and scoffs at the idea that a player may need 1-2 years to develop. 

To suggest coaches know something they don’t is blasphemy. 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

My optimism is based off trust in our coaches ability to develop linebackers, what Bernard did well last year, and what he was known for in college. Players take big steps from years 1 to year 2.

And Tyler Bass after literally 2 kicks.

This board demands instant gratification and scoffs at the idea that a player may need 1-2 years to develop. 

To suggest coaches know something they don’t is blasphemy. 

Agree 100%. Some guys think there is “zero chance” they are ok with who they have now, even though the GM and HC have said they might have the guy on the roster already. Bernard wasn’t drafted to just be a ST guy. I think they had a plan.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

lol the comparison is not remotely similar

Oh really?  Were fans ready to move on from Allen after a year?

Just now, whorlnut said:

Agree 100%. Some guys think there is “zero chance” they are ok with who they have now, even though the GM and HC have said they might have the guy on the roster already. Bernard wasn’t drafted to just be a ST guy. I think they had a plan.

I truly hope this is correct. I also don't think it is ridiculous to think Spector might be a real consideration to replace Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I truly hope this is correct. I also don't think it is ridiculous to think Spector might be a real consideration to replace Edmunds.

I agree. He will get his chance. It will be a 3 horse race for starting mike imo. 

2 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Ok.  I am hoping TB comes around.  But he looked bad last year and was a healthy scratch for the last Playoff game.  Not even active for special teams.  

To me, a patient optimist, it looks like a miss.

Elam was a healthy scratch at times this year too. And he got beat out by a sixth rounder to be the opening day starting CB2. Yet people want to dump bernard after one year because it doesn’t fit their narrative. Very short sighted imo. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he looked slow and lost to me…again I hope he proves me wrong

Allen was constantly abused on this board for accuracy issues. There were many that wanted him replaced. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Oh really?  Were fans ready to move on from Allen after a year?

Absolutely, we’ve seen they aren’t afraid of developmental projects. He doesn’t translate well to MLB, and that has nothing to do with the Jets game last year. I think that Jets game is nearly irrelevant when it comes to speculating how 2023 will play out. 

I think the plan is more 3-LBer sets. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Allen was constantly abused on this board for accuracy issues. There were many that wanted him replaced. 

For the record, I didn’t abuse Allen. Josh was an extremely high ceiling prospect that could have gone #1 overall. 

Bernard was a mid - late round LB 

massive difference in value to a team

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Absolutely, we’ve seen they aren’t afraid of developmental projects. He doesn’t translate well to MLB, and that has nothing to do with the Jets game last year. I think that Jets game is nearly irrelevant when it comes to speculating how 2023 will play out. 

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he looked slow and lost to me…again I hope he proves me wrong

Well he clearly isn’t slow. He’s easily the best athlete in the LB room, even when we had Edmunds. Guys who have watched that jets game said he struggled with his keys and the game was still very fast for him. Paralysis by analysis. 

They also said he plays with great hustle and was a sure tackler. 

Milano came back and he played 70% the special teams snaps, which should help the game slow down a bit. 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think the plan is more 3 safety sets with one coming down into the box.

Otherwise I don’t know why Rapp signed here. He’s a solid starter

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

For the record, I didn’t abuse Allen. Josh was an extremely high ceiling prospect that could have gone #1 overall. 

Bernard was a mid - late round LB 

massive difference in value to a team

That is true, but remember his rating was based for the entire NFL, not scheme specific. Bills value pass coverage LBers and intelligence, those are his two best traits. 

Honestly, coming out I would bet he was one of the better pass coverage LBers in that draft. 

9 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Elam was a healthy scratch at times this year too.

Yes which was perplexing to say the least. But he was one of the best players on the field for our defense in both playoff games. His interception against the Dolphins arguably won us the game. There's no comparison between that and Bernard getting zero snaps for the last several games and then being inactive in the final game.

Also however the coaching staff feels about Elam, the CB room is loaded. You could take any two of White, Benford, Jackson, and Elam and field at bare minimum a starting caliber CB pair. That is not the case with MLB. There is no surefire starting caliber MLB on the roster. You can't possibly disagree with this.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think the plan is more 3 safety sets with one coming down into the box.

Otherwise I don’t know why Rapp signed here. He’s a solid starter

Absolutely could be, I think it’ll depend on what the offense is showing. I think they learned from throwing Edmunds into the fire and we may see Rapp sub out with a rookie MLB. 

I also think there is a very good chance Poyer/Hyde don’t start 17 games next year.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes which was perplexing to say the least. But he was one of the best players on the field for our defense in both playoff games. His interception against the Dolphins arguably won us the game. There's no comparison between that and Bernard getting zero snaps for the last several games and then being inactive in the final game.

Also however the coaching staff feels about Elam, the CB room is loaded. You could take any two of White, Benford, Jackson, and Elam and field at bare minimum a starting caliber CB pair. That is not the case with MLB. There is no surefire starting caliber MLB on the roster. You can't possibly disagree with this.

What I can disagree with is sharing the same opinion that our staff values middle LB as much as some of you on this board. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed, no one should think otherwise. He’ll get a shot at it, but ultimately he is a best fit at OLB. 

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think Hyde, Poyer and the two safeties we draft this year are expected to handle the slack from Edmunds.  In reality Edmunds played more like a safety than an LB. 

we are drafting 2 safeties this year? WOW! thanks for the info... uhhh... crystal ball

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.