Any Comp Science Grads?

akcash

I've applied online for school and am between a bachelors in comp science and data analytics. I am very new to tech and between the two majors. Does anybody have advice or work in the tech field?

Edited by akcash

I’m not your guy. I just checked in to see if “Comp” was for “computer”.    😋

I think you’ll find we have a bunch of knowledgeable folks here, but I’m coming up blank on who to call out at the moment. Good luck! 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not your guy. I just checked in to see if “Comp” was for “computer”.    😋

I think you’ll find we have a bunch of knowledgeable folks here, but I’m coming up blank on who to call out at the moment. Good luck! 

Thanks Augie!

hubby is a retired director at Qualcomm with an EE degree So has involved in a very high tech company.

Regarding data analytics he suggests that you collect background information in whatever field of analytics you are possibly going into. Basically you are a statistician...it would be better if you knew some background on whatever field of analytics you will be doing.

it would be helpful to know the INDUSTRY you are entering into.

In either case you have many options and directions. Which industry would you be interested in or think you will have the most fun working in?

Haha that's pretty good exile.

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm somebody who would like coding or not. But I'm taking alot of courses on study.com to transfer in so I guess I'll find out.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am just your man! Go for it! Buttons are where it's at!

21 minutes ago, muppy said:

hubby is a retired director at Qualcomm with an EE degree So has involved in a very high tech company.

Regarding data analytics he suggests that you collect background information in whatever field of analytics you are possibly going into. Basically you are a statistician...it would be better if you knew some background on whatever field of analytics you will be doing.

it would be helpful to know the INDUSTRY you are entering into.

In either case you have many options and directions. Which industry would you be interested in or think you will have the most fun working in?

I feel like its analytics for me. And what he said about researching the field going into is definitely something I've heard people in that field say. I thought sports analytics would be cool. But really just the idea of cleaning data and providing value to a company I like that idea. I have been doing the job I'm at now for almost 10 years and while I don't really have a huge affection for what I do, I've gotten good at it and throughout the day just by doing it it provides little rewards after doing something. So i feel like what i do, even if it's not something totally perfect, I could get good at it and it would suffice as a job. 

It seems like you can get a data analyst job with a CS degree but if I just got a DA degree ( even though in high demand) my options and skillset might be more limited. 

14 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Data analytics is a branch of computer science, so they're related. Have you considered majoring in CS and either minoring in DA or choosing DA courses for all your electives?

Hey whotom, 

The college online I'm looking at I'm not sure of how I would minor. There may be an option though I'll have to ask my enrollment counselor! I know there is a masters degree program they offer in data analytics and data management. 

I know there are a lot of options on study.com to transfer I  that might be more related to data analytics so that could possible be an option.

Edited by akcash

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The nerds got the pie.       😋

#Goldenhandcuffs

those were the days my friends 🙂 just sayin'

Best to you  @akcash. Back in the day to change companies was very lucrative. Find a career that allows you to grow and do That and something you like........... it's  WIN WIN amigo. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can't help. Took intro to Computer Science  at UB in Senior year (79). They  only taught Basic and FORTRAN. The mainframe was on the Ridge Lea Campus.  Had to use punch cards. Had the card reader read in the program and wait an hour or so to get your results on the big dot matrix printer. 

Edited by Wacka

4 hours ago, akcash said:

I've applied online for school and am between a bachelors in comp science and data analytics. I am very new to tech and between the two majors. Does anybody have advice or work in the tech field?

I was an Applied Mathematics major with minor in CS at UB and in last year I changed to Computer Science with minor in Math because they changed degree requirements.  I find with employment fields mathematics and computer science  are very related unless you are doing very high level research.  I have a patent in OCR which uses high level mathematics which many computer science majors do not understand.  I have also encountered same thing in my career with work I used to do. I'd recommend keeping feet in both areas using other for a minor and electives.  

2 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Can't help. Took intro to Computer Science  at UB in Senior year (79). They  only taught Basic and FORTRAN. The mainframe was on the Ridge Lea Campus.  Had to use punch cards. Had the card reader read in the program and wait an hour or so to get your results on the big dot matrix printer. 

We went to college at same time although I was a freshman when I started as 17 year old freshman.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:36 PM, Wacka said:

Could you get it to print out those BIG banners like 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY!'?

😁

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.