St. paddy's dinner

Joe Ferguson forever

I’m Irish, but Irish cuisine is not my thing. We had steak and potatoes almost every night growing up (except Friday Fish Fries, of course - Catholic too) and will generally avoid potatoes, even eating around them in chowders. I also have red meat rarely, almost always getting seafood when we go out. 

Having said that, @flaz mentioned prime rib in the BDay thread, and now I’m researching how to satisfy this intense craving!  It’s like Pavlov just rang the bell! 

As far as fluids, that is where I’m a bit more Irish. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m Irish, but Irish cuisine is not my thing. We had steak and potatoes almost every night growing up (except Friday Fish Fries, of course - Catholic too) and will generally avoid potatoes, even eating around them in chowders. I also have red meat rarely, almost always getting seafood when we go out. 

Having said that, @flaz mentioned prime rib in the BDay thread, and now I’m researching how to satisfy this intense craving!  It’s like Pavlov just rang the bell! 

As far as fluids, that is where I’m a bit more Irish. 

Bushmills, Jameson or something else?  Hint' pick the Catholic distillery...going with Black Bush.

https://bushmills.com/whiskeys/black-bush/

Edited by redtail hawk

Just now, redtail hawk said:

Bushmills, Jameson or something else?

I had an encounter with Wild Turkey on my 19th BDay. A “friend” tried to buy me 19 shots of Wild Turkey. Needless to say, it was not pretty and it did not end well.  I no longer drink any brown liquor. The only liquor I’ll generally have is an occasional margarita on the rocks with salt. 

I used to be a beer guy, but transitioned to wine years ago. I’m boring, but hoping for some points for consistency. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I had an encounter with Wild Turkey on my 19th BDay. A “friend” tried to buy me 19 shots of Wild Turkey. Needless to say, it was not pretty and it did not end well.  I no longer drink any brown liquor. The only liquor I’ll generally have is an occasional margarita on the rocks with salt. 

I used to be a beer guy, but transitioned to wine years ago. I’m boring, but hoping for some points for consistency. 

I missed our flight back after our wedding after complaining that the Margaritas were too weak.  My wife stayed with me tho.

• Haha (+1) 1

Being Irish, we are going with the traditional Irish St Paddys meal, although be it on Sunday, with the fiance's side of the family (although I was repulsed the last time I had St Paddy's dinner with them as they put mustard on the corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage). I went to Wegmans and loaded up with Guinness and Smithwicks. I thought about an Irish whiskey or Irish creme, but I'd probably be the only one drinking that so I opted not to get it.

1 minute ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Being Irish, we are going with the traditional Irish St Paddys meal, although be it on Sunday, with the fiance's side of the family (although I was repulsed the last time I had St Paddy's dinner with them as they put mustard on the corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage). I went to Wegmans and loaded up with Guinness and Smithwicks. I thought about an Irish whiskey or Irish creme, but I'd probably be the only one drinking that so I opted not to get it.

Oh, man.  There's nothing like an Irish Coffee.  If you don't like it, the whiskey's good neat.  It could help with the fiancé's family😉

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I missed our flight back after our wedding after complaining that the Margaritas were too weak.  My wife stayed with me tho.

It could be worse. I had a buddy who went to UGA and went back to Athens, GA to be in his college roommates wedding. His buddy got a DUI driving a few blocks from the reception back to the hotel. Great way to start a marriage! 

• Sad 1

I got them confused but looks like I'm OK

https://www.liquor.com/articles/biggest-irish-whiskey-myths/

1. Jameson Is Catholic and Bushmills Is Protestant 

This is one of the myths encountered all the time, since Bushmills is located in predominantly Protestant Northern Ireland and Jameson is produced in the heavily Catholic Republic of Ireland. But “this couldn’t be any further from the truth,” says McGarry. For one, there are only a few distilleries on the whole island, and they tend to swap casks, so your Bushmills may contain some Jameson-made whiskey. For another, the master distiller at Bushmills, Colum Egan, is Catholic while Jameson’s eponymous founder, John Jameson, was most likely Protestant—and Scottish, for that matter.

It's all good.

Edited by redtail hawk

57 minutes ago, Augie said:

I recommend the Negroni then...

• Like (+1) 1

Happy St Pattys day!

My daughter LOVES any holiday under the sun.  We were going to have a party but our friends came down with covid. OOF

so for we 3 we will be making Corned beef with a pineapple brown sugar glaze. Cabbage, Onion. Carrots. potatoes. 

Irish soda bread. Kerrygold butter.  Jameson Irish whiskey. Green Beer.

this pic from a prior party. RIP Jimbob xo

m

JimBob.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Our son's workplace is having a potluck lunch today, so yesterday my wife whipped up a batch of Shepherd's Pie for him to bring in. She made extra, so we had it for dinner last night. She used ground beef, not lamb, so it's technically not true Shepherd's Pie but it was tasty!

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Corned beef, potatoes, and carrots are in the crock pot. Wifey is making Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage. Far superior to boiled cabbage.

When I do a corned beef, potatoes, whatever in the crockpot... I put it in the fridge overnight and take that 1/2 of fat on the top in a chunk and put it out for the possums/*****, etc. Then just put it on low... and then suppers ready. Next day meal for us.

Er... that would be raccoons lol.

Edited by T&C
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.