St. paddy's dinner

Joe Ferguson forever

55 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Corned beef, potatoes, and carrots are in the crock pot. Wifey is making Pennsylvania Dutch Cabbage. Far superior to boiled cabbage.

I'm doing cabbage two ways as per the recipe in my first post: lightly sauteed  in butter and boiled for 30 mins in the crock pot with the beef.  Adding beef stock, garlic and seasonings has really changed the aroma I'm used to.  Less briny, more beefy.  We'll see but it smells great.  I was surprised how easy the soda bread was.  Didn't even need to use a mixer-  did it by hand and it looks pretty good.  I cut the cross a bit too deep tho.  And yes, this should leave at least enough for 1 or 2 more meals.  I love corn beef hash.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, T&C said:

When I do a corned beef, potatoes, whatever in the crockpot... I put it in the fridge overnight and take that 1/2 of fat on the top in a chunk and put it out for the possums/*****, etc. Then just put it on low... and then suppers ready. Next day meal for us.

Er... that would be raccoons lol.

Possums, raccoons, deer, Isiah McKenzie, all the same species. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Nobody's going for the traditional seven-course meal?

gs.jpg

potato.jpg

I swear, I almost asked what the bottom pic was. The skin of the potato is great. The butter, sour cream, scallions and s/p are great…..but it’s the potatoes that turn me off. 

23 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

I got them confused but looks like I'm OK

https://www.liquor.com/articles/biggest-irish-whiskey-myths/

1. Jameson Is Catholic and Bushmills Is Protestant 

This is one of the myths encountered all the time, since Bushmills is located in predominantly Protestant Northern Ireland and Jameson is produced in the heavily Catholic Republic of Ireland. But “this couldn’t be any further from the truth,” says McGarry. For one, there are only a few distilleries on the whole island, and they tend to swap casks, so your Bushmills may contain some Jameson-made whiskey. For another, the master distiller at Bushmills, Colum Egan, is Catholic while Jameson’s eponymous founder, John Jameson, was most likely Protestant—and Scottish, for that matter.

It's all good.

As a friend of mine who grew up in Ireland says...

Jameson is for the Catholics

Bushmills is for the Protestants

And Tullamore Dew is for those that like good whisky

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Reuben sammiches today, fish fry yesterday. 

Wasn't checking, did the Pope give special dispensation to eat meat yesterday? He usually does when St.Patrick's Day (which is always during Lent) falls on a Friday.

We made our own dispensation.  It's was St Patrick's Day!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/17/2023 at 5:18 PM, Augie said:

I swear, I almost asked what the bottom pic was. The skin of the potato is great. The butter, sour cream, scallions and s/p are great…..but it’s the potatoes that turn me off. 

My other thought was a six-pack and a bowl of Lucky Charms.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.