Defensive Coordinator Candidates…whose worth a look?

Wizard

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think it's fair thought to say McD has used Frazier to shield himself though.  The one thing about McD is that he doesn't publicly throw people under the bus and keeps it all in house.  If you want to say some fans defend McD by assigning more complaints to Frazier, that is fine, but McD himself has never used anyone as a shield for himself IMHO.  

For example, McD was reportedly screaming when he saw the DB's ten yards off the LOS on 3rd and 4 before the snap (as we all were).  This was a critical play, so much so it was even referenced by Beane in the end of year presser.  But McD didn't come out and cite that and blame the play call or anything.  It is one of the reasons McD is so respected amongst the players and staff, he doesn't air things out in the media.  

I do agree, there will be a lot more responsibility this year in how the defense performs on McD's shoulders though.  He is going to face potential scrutiny both as a HC and DC now and there will be more pressure on him.

Agree on McD and this.  I think its pretty obvious McD is a good coach based on his accomplishments going back to his first year here, and his defensive accumen is also well established as one of the top defensive minds in the league right now.  

This is definitely IMHO the most critical offseason for Beane as a GM since facing drafting the right QB when it was clear we going to take a QB early in 2018 and traded assets to be in position to do that both before and during the draft.  He doesn't have the war chest he has had in previous years between cap space and draft assets.  We no longer have a rookie contract at QB, we draft late every round, have no extra picks of value, and entered the offseason well over the cap with several key starters set to hit free agency.  He planned ahead for this and built in the flexibility into the contracts he gave out to be able to navigate this offseason.  However, there is little room for error given the state of the competition around us.

Jets seem like they will land Rodgers, isntantly making them a bigger threat to the AFCE title.  Miami is still formidable, and could still even upgrade further at QB.  KC is still KC, and Bengals have a lot more cap space to be bigger free agent players this offseason than us.  Then there are teams like Jax that are on the rise and even before the offseason begins are getting Calvin Ridley into their offseason next year now that he is back from suspension.  

Just means Beane really needs to make the right moves in free agency and how he uses his money, and then we need to also get relevant contributions this year from our draft class much like KC did last year.  If we can do that, we will absolutely remain one of the top SB contenders in the league, but that margin of error is tighter this year than its ever been.  

And unhelpfully it's not a good draft class. I said it elsewhere and I stick by it... as important as this offseason seems if I am trading back in this draft I want 2024 assets. 6 picks in this class is plenty to take a few shots. Taking 8 or 9 players from a class this weak isn't gonna help us.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think it's fair thought to say McD has used Frazier to shield himself though.  The one thing about McD is that he doesn't publicly throw people under the bus and keeps it all in house.  If you want to say some fans defend McD by assigning more complaints to Frazier, that is fine, but McD himself has never used anyone as a shield for himself IMHO.  

For example, McD was reportedly screaming when he saw the DB's ten yards off the LOS on 3rd and 4 before the snap (as we all were).  This was a critical play, so much so it was even referenced by Beane in the end of year presser.  But McD didn't come out and cite that and blame the play call or anything.  It is one of the reasons McD is so respected amongst the players and staff, he doesn't air things out in the media.  

I do agree, there will be a lot more responsibility this year in how the defense performs on McD's shoulders though.  He is going to face potential scrutiny both as a HC and DC now and there will be more pressure on him.

Agree on McD and this.  I think its pretty obvious McD is a good coach based on his accomplishments going back to his first year here, and his defensive accumen is also well established as one of the top defensive minds in the league right now.  

This is definitely IMHO the most critical offseason for Beane as a GM since facing drafting the right QB when it was clear we going to take a QB early in 2018 and traded assets to be in position to do that both before and during the draft.  He doesn't have the war chest he has had in previous years between cap space and draft assets.  We no longer have a rookie contract at QB, we draft late every round, have no extra picks of value, and entered the offseason well over the cap with several key starters set to hit free agency.  He planned ahead for this and built in the flexibility into the contracts he gave out to be able to navigate this offseason.  However, there is little room for error given the state of the competition around us.

Jets seem like they will land Rodgers, isntantly making them a bigger threat to the AFCE title.  Miami is still formidable, and could still even upgrade further at QB.  KC is still KC, and Bengals have a lot more cap space to be bigger free agent players this offseason than us.  Then there are teams like Jax that are on the rise and even before the offseason begins are getting Calvin Ridley into their offseason next year now that he is back from suspension.  

Just means Beane really needs to make the right moves in free agency and how he uses his money, and then we need to also get relevant contributions this year from our draft class much like KC did last year.  If we can do that, we will absolutely remain one of the top SB contenders in the league, but that margin of error is tighter this year than its ever been.  

Very well stated. 

As for myself, I know the Bills are a top tier team. Not sure anyone would dispute that. That makes me excited about the upcoming season. The Bills absolutely have to make solid moves via free agents, signings, and draft picks. Like you've implied the margin for error is pretty thin. 

There is no doubt several teams are breathing down on the Bills. KC and Cinci are likely better teams and better coached. 

Has the path to the Super Bowl diminished under this regime? Seems like the last few years have been lost opportunities. What will it take to get this team over the hump? The holes and weaknesses of the team seem bigger than the previous few years. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And unhelpfully it's not a good draft class. I said it elsewhere and I stick by it... as important as this offseason seems if I am trading back in this draft I want 2024 assets. 6 picks in this class is plenty to take a few shots. Taking 8 or 9 players from a class this weak isn't gonna help us.

Yeah, I am also on board for compiling future valuable assets next year, and it is something I think is a real possibility this year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Beane traded Oliver before the draft too.  While I won't go as far as to say I expect it, I think it is something that could be in play if the right offer was there as I don't get the impression from Beane or McD comments that they see him here past next season based on what he has done so far.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I am also on board for compiling future valuable assets next year, and it is something I think is a real possibility this year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Beane traded Oliver before the draft too.  While I won't go as far as to say I expect it, I think it is something that could be in play if the right offer was there as I don't get the impression from Beane or McD comments that they see him here past next season based on what he has done so far.  

I think trading Oliver is on the table it is just what makes a good offer? He is more valuable to the Bills than a mid round pick in this draft? I still say the answer is to trade him for a proven vet at WR or OL who can help immediately. Straight up for Tyler Lockett or Jake Matthews are the two I've speculated. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think trading Oliver is on the table it is just what makes a good offer? He is more valuable to the Bills than a mid round pick in this draft? I still say the answer is to trade him for a proven vet at WR or OL who can help immediately. Straight up for Tyler Lockett or Jake Matthews are the two I've speculated. 

I would really like the Lockett addition to the Bills offense. I think he would do well with Allen throwing him the ball. He's solid, dependable, makes big plays, and scores TDs. It would be an instant ugrade to to the Bills offense. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think it's fair thought to say McD has used Frazier to shield himself though.  

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For example, McD was reportedly screaming when he saw the DB's ten yards off the LOS on 3rd and 4 before the snap (as we all were).

"13 seconds" and the Bengals "10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 4" are probably the two biggest reasons why Bills fans were screaming for Leslie's head.

Meanwhile, very quietly after "13 seconds," the Special Teams Coordinator took a lateral job and the LBs coach retired and Sean didn't say a word as everyone blamed Leslie. If you read between the lines, it's pretty clear to me who was to blame. Everyone knows you Squibb kick the damn ball and the game is essentially over. 

Also, McD hears the calls Frazier makes and could have changed it for 13 seconds (on either play). Same goes for the Bengals game. The footing in the snow was really bad. It's just as likely that Sean was screaming because the players weren't executing the right call Leslie made because they were worried about getting beat deep.

If you told me before the game that the Bills D would hold the Bengals to 27, I would have expected a 31-27 victory. But our neglected O-line couldn't protect Josh and we only scored 10. Yet, again, Leslie gets the majority of the heat.

I wouldn't say McD necessarily used Frazier, but his reluctance to speak about these matters allow a whirlwind of negativity toward Leslie by fans who need a villain. 

3 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

"13 seconds" and the Bengals "10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 4" are probably the two biggest reasons why Bills fans were screaming for Leslie's head.

Meanwhile, very quietly after "13 seconds," the Special Teams Coordinator took a lateral job and the LBs coach retired and Sean didn't say a word as everyone blamed Leslie. If you read between the lines, it's pretty clear to me who was to blame. Everyone knows you Squibb kick the damn ball and the game is essentially over. 

Also, McD hears the calls Frazier makes and could have changed it for 13 seconds (on either play). Same goes for the Bengals game. The footing in the snow was really bad. It's just as likely that Sean was screaming because the players weren't executing the right call Leslie made because they were worried about getting beat deep.

If you told me before the game that the Bills D would hold the Bengals to 27, I would have expected a 31-27 victory. But our neglected O-line couldn't protect Josh and we only scored 10. Yet, again, Leslie gets the majority of the heat.

I wouldn't say McD necessarily used Frazier, but his reluctance to speak about these matters allow a whirlwind of negativity toward Leslie by fans who need a villain. 

Very good insight. I'd say it is McD being passive and quiet. He absolutely did little to take the blame. In essence, I think he used Fraizer and others as a backdoor screen.

McD never apoears front and center when the heat is on. The Buffalo media treats him with kid gloves. The only one asking tough questions (Sully) is gone. 

I think we the fans, myself included get a little blinded by the McD nice guy nice character guy. For me it's getting old and losing its steam. 

Im glad McD us likely taking over the D. Now he has nowhere to hide or put up that shield. I'm interested to seevif he's up to the task.

All this talk about how good of a defensive mind he is will be put to the test. Its about time because the Bills need something to get over the hump. Wasted opportunities are passing by year by year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Again, for the hundredth time...Frazier gets more flak because he's been around a lot longer and has a greater volume of work to hold against him.  The Bengals game was far from his first playoff disaster.

Nobody thinks the offense was fine, but it was helmed by a first year OC.

I have watched just about 15 minutes of the XFL & last night i noticed Jim Haslett as a coach on one of the teams I know during his days with the Bills he was a hot head & a decent player for them & he has coached some good defenses in the NFL but has he fallen out of favor with the NFL ?

Actually 2 coaches that i've seen while watching were both with the Bills at some point - Phillips & Haslett both defensive coaches i don't think there will be a reunion of sorts but you never know . I think Phillips is a great D coordinator & wouldn't mind seeing him as such in B/lo but not as high on Haslett .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.