Defensive Coordinator Candidates…whose worth a look?

Wizard

I am wondering if there are any DC candidates that can be complimentary to McDermott and/or provide some additional insight and strength to the staff. 

What about Jerod Mayo? Any other DC candidates that are intriguing?

As has been said by others, crappy connections from the Carolina Panthers and then Ken Dorsey as the leader of the offensive coaching staff leaves more than a lot to be desired.

In any well-run business, the current leader is also preparing a successor. Maybe that was meant to be Daboll, but we need top coordinators just like we need a better offensive line.

• Like (+1) 1

Are the Bills moving on from Frazier, or are they going to use an interim arrangement in hopes that he returns to the coordinator position after a one year hiatus. If it is the latter, you can pretty much forget about hiring somebody from the outside.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Are the Bills moving on from Frazier, or are they going to use an interim arrangement in hopes that he returns to the coordinator position after a one year hiatus. If it is the latter, you can pretty much forget about hiring somebody from the outside.

No of course 13 seconds won’t be back. You can’t be that gullible, can you? Holcomb will be our new DC. 

I wouldn't mind seeing McD get demoted to DC. Bring in someone like Brian Callahan OC for Cinci or Ben Johnson OC for Lions. 

I would prefer Johnson. He is innovative, creative, and very smart. Think he would enhance Allen and others game. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Wizard said:

I am wondering if there are any DC candidates that can be complimentary to McDermott and/or provide some additional insight and strength to the staff. 

As has been said by others, crappy connections from the Carolina Panthers and then Ken Dorsey as the leader of the offensive coaching staff leaves more than a lot to be desired.

In any well-run business, the current leader is also preparing a successor. Maybe that was meant to be Daboll, but we need top coordinators just like we need a better offensive line.

3 coaches with Defensive Coordinator experience are already on staff.  And they are familiar with McDermott’s defensive principles.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Why not give Keuchly a shot? Its a learning curve for sure but I mean we could end up with a Demeco Ryans type situation. Just spit balling here

Great idea.  He can call plays from the MLB position.

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing McD get demoted to DC. Bring in someone like Brian Callahan OC for Cinci or Ben Johnson OC for Lions. 

I would prefer Johnson. He is innovative, creative, and very smart. Think he would enhance Allen and others game. 

Name one example in NFL history where a head coach (non interim) was demoted to a coordinator position.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know why people keep talking about this. They are not bringing anyone else in. McDermott is going to call the D and they will use the existing staff on the gameplanning. I expect they will say more when OTAs come around, but I expect Holcombe will be the senior assistant - as his title suggests - but he won't get to design the scheme or call the plays and therefore isn't the coordinator in the conventional sense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Why not give Keuchly a shot? Its a learning curve for sure but I mean we could end up with a Demeco Ryans type situation. Just spit balling here

Has the guy ever coached anything?  Does he want to coach in the NFL?  I know his history as a player and how much coaches think of him but unless your name is Jeff Saturday you have to work your way up in coaching.  And it has to be a passion cause it does not pay well for someone independently wealthy.  

7 hours ago, Wizard said:

He has already been brought on board, “Senior Defensive assistant” like Gunner Bill said, McDermott will call the plays on defense going forward, the decision has already been made. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.