Defensive Coordinator Candidates…whose worth a look?

Wizard

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

His name begins with an M
And ends with a T

LEGO Ninjago guy Murt knows football?!

image.jpeg.8128f7ea0fc873cbf9734772bc3d75ed.jpeg
I mean, American football?!

He does look pretty mean...🤔

EDIT: That battle axe he's hefting doesn't look like any 'bend, don't break' philosophy, does it? 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, somnus00 said:

McDermott has struggled with game management decisions in the past. The idea of him calling the defense is intriguing, but I'd imagine that the game management decisions will regress as a result. That makes me nervous. 

What game management decisions do you make while playing defense?

He already wastes TO on defense so maybe that might actually get better if he is calling the plays. 

8 hours ago, Kiva said:

No of course 13 seconds won’t be back. You can’t be that gullible, can you? Holcomb will be our new DC. 

13 seconds won't. But there's certainly a non-zero chance that Leslie Frazier will.

It's you who's kidding yourself that he won't be back if things fall right. There's a good chance they won't fall right, but if they do, they love Frazier here, and for good reason.

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Either Al Holcomb or the position goes officially unfilled for 2023. That's my guess. Don't let the "Assistant" part of "Senior Defensive Assistant" fool you. Offensive and Defensive Coordinators are also Assistants. Everyone is, but the Head Coach.

This is my guess too.

Edited by Thurman#1

Holcomb was hired a month before Leslie was fired. So the move was in the works for a while. Unclear why Sean waited until there were no other DC jobs left for Leslie to take. Whether you wanted Leslie gone or not, the man deserved more respect than that. He dedicated 6 years of his life for this team, consistently had a top 5 D, was highly respected and loved by every player on that team. Wonder how this board would feel about Leslie if the Special teams coordinator got the right call in on the :13 squibb kick and we won the game. Or if our O against the Bengals put up more than 10 points.

4 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Holcomb was hired a month before Leslie was fired. So the move was in the works for a while. Unclear why Sean waited until there were no other DC jobs left for Leslie to take. Whether you wanted Leslie gone or not, the man deserved more respect than that. He dedicated 6 years of his life for this team, consistently had a top 5 D, was highly respected and loved by every player on that team. Wonder how this board would feel about Leslie if the Special teams coordinator got the right call in on the :13 squibb kick and we won the game. Or if our O against the Bengals put up more than 10 points.

Because Leslie wasn't fired. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wizard said:

As has been said by others, crappy connections from the Carolina Panthers and then Ken Dorsey as the leader of the offensive coaching staff leaves more than a lot to be desired.

We'll the joke's on us.  Keep looking over that Carolina coaching staff and front office, that or serious OJT guys are the pattern here.  

I'm not sure we've ever seen anything like it to this extent.  

Edited by PBF81

16 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Whether you wanted Leslie gone or not, the man deserved more respect than that. He dedicated 6 years of his life for this team, consistently had a top 5 D, was highly respected and loved by every player on that team. Wonder how this board would feel about Leslie if the Special teams coordinator got the right call in on the :13 squibb kick and we won the game. Or if our O against the Bengals put up more than 10 points.

The jury seems to be out on who was really calling the defensive shots, could've been McD.

Was too his top-5 D, maybe the perception of our D would be a little better if come playoff time it didn't play like a bottom-5 D.  

As to disrespect, right or wrong, it sort of comes with the territory.  But if someone wants to pay me as much as he's gotten over that six year period and disrespect me, I'm good with it.  

Also, those are some huge If's.

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We'll the joke's on us.  Keep looking over that Carolina coaching staff and front office, that or serious OJT guys are the pattern here.  

I'm not sure we've ever seen anything like it to this extent.  

Okay let's play a game... how many of the Bills current Bills front office staff, except for Brandon Beane have worked for the Panthers? I'll give you a clue... it's a very round number. 

It's more on the coaching side (I make it 6/18 which is a third).

10 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Mike Pettine. Assistant HC/DC.

Is this serious? Dude is awful and it’s wild he keeps getting jobs. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PettMi0.htm

I’d rather fail with a new guy than give the same losers chance after chance. I hate the buddy system in the nfl. There are so many good coach’s who never get a chance while losers like Hackett and the husky Ryan bros get chance after chance.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Great idea.  He can call plays from the MLB position.

Name one example in NFL history where a head coach (non interim) was demoted to a coordinator position.

There isn't one but the Bills should be the first.  HC's will line up to want to coach the Bills knowing that if you go 13-3, 11-6 and 13-3 for three seasons in a row, you could get demoted on your very own team.  Gosh, how can a HC not want that?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, somnus00 said:

McDermott has struggled with game management decisions in the past. The idea of him calling the defense is intriguing, but I'd imagine that the game management decisions will regress as a result. That makes me nervous. 

He hasn't. He has literally been one of the best in the league.

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing McD get demoted to DC. Bring in someone like Brian Callahan OC for Cinci or Ben Johnson OC for Lions. 

I would prefer Johnson. He is innovative, creative, and very smart. Think he would enhance Allen and others game. 

Yeah, I'm sure McDermott would be so willing to do that...

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you really think this is an option?

No. I think it would be ideal though. The offense needs innovation, weapons, protection, and change. 

I have little confidence in Dorsey. His offense had no identity or consistency. He never used plays in conjunction to set up other plays. It was a series of individual plays. 

I know the stats look very good. I'd credit Allen rather than Dorsey. 

Ben Johnson is one of the best offensive minds out there. He's getting the best out of Geoff. 

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Great idea.  He can call plays from the MLB position.

Name one example in NFL history where a head coach (non interim) was demoted to a coordinator position.

I know it won't happen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.