Jordan Poyer Wants Out of NY

Irv

Nice work dopey Democrats.  Poyer says he wants to play for the Dolphins so he doesn't have to give half his paycheck to the government.  I wonder how many other NFL and NHL players feel the same.  What a mess.   

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Tiberius said:

So many players sign here. Sabres seem happy. There's always people that cry. So what 

yeah tibs. so, what. It's not like he was one of our best players.  

but then again. his argument is the same one thats held by the masses thats being proven by the net domestic migration out of high tax/control states.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

yeah tibs. so, what. It's not like he was one of our best players.  

but then again. his argument is the same one thats held by the masses thats being proven by the net domestic migration out of high tax/control states.

The population thing is mostly about the weather. That's just obvious 

Like I said, players sign here all the time. 

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Nice work dopey Democrats.  Poyer says he wants to play for the Dolphins so he doesn't have to give half his paycheck to the government.  I wonder how many other NFL and NHL players feel the same.  What a mess.   

Good! Let Miami overpay.

Here's the thing - much like @Irv - Poyer doesn't understand taxes.  Poyer's federal tax rate won't change no matter where he lives. Also, Poyer, like all athletes (or anyone who earn income outside their home state) - still has to file and pay non-resident state tax.

In a normal season, an average National Football League player will file between eight to 12 non-resident state tax returnslink

Every time I travel to NYC, Philadelphia, DC, and Chicago for work in a calendar year - I have to file taxes in those states, too. 

Edited by BillStime
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Good! Let Miami overpay.

Here's the thing - much like @Irv - Poyer doesn't understand taxes.  Poyer's federal tax rate won't change no matter where he lives. Also, Power, like all athletes (or anyone who earn income outside their home state) - still has to file and pay non-resident state tax returns.

In a normal season, an average National Football League player will file between eight to 12 non-resident state tax returnslink

Every time I travel to NYC, Philadelphia, DC, and Chicago for work - I have to file taxes in those states, too. 

Are you working on a contract basis or some kind of consulting arrangement like for Accenture for example?  Because I've done lots of travel for former and current employer(s) and I've never had to file out of state.

44 minutes ago, Irv said:

With his next deal a Florida home field vs NY one likely nets +$1.5M into his piggy bank. 

It really doesn’t take a genius to come to this conclusion. You really have to offer a professional athlete 10%+ over a Florida team to have them break even by accepting your deal. There’s a reason the majority fleeing NY are higher income earners. I make a small fraction of what Poyer makes and I’ve been seriously considering fleeing NY. When I was making 40k and had a 100k house the state income taxes and property tax savings wasn’t much. Now that I make more than that with a house much more expensive, it starts to make sense to move and save that 4-6% income tax and thousands in property taxes. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

The population thing is mostly about the weather. That's just obvious 

Like I said, players sign here all the time. 

I have convinced many people to move from Western New York and the weather is rarely a real consideration, you adjust no matter where you live. The fact is that if I had the same value house in Pittsford/Williamsville and my household income was the same since I moved to Florida in 2001 I would have about about $300k less due directly to taxes than I do now, or have had to cut other things out. That is my selling point. 

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I have convinced many people to move from Western New York and the weather is rarely a real consideration, you adjust no matter where you live. The fact is that if I had the same value house in Pittsford/Williamsville and my household income was the same since I moved to Florida in 2001 I would have about about $300k less due directly to taxes than I do now, or have had to cut other things out. That is my selling point. 

anyone with an iota of financial literacy knows western ny loses to almost everywhere. Stagnant property values, high SALT and middling job market little investment capital pouring in and extremely corrupt local government. 6-8 months of dreary gloomy Weather is just salt in the wound. 

inexpensive electricity and slightly above average public schools in the burbs is about it in the perks column. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

anyone with an iota of financial literacy knows western ny loses to almost everywhere. Stagnant property values, high SALT and middling job market little investment capital pouring in and extremely corrupt local government. 6-8 months of dreary gloomy Weather is just salt in the wound. 

inexpensive electricity and slightly above average public schools in the burbs is about it in the perks column. 

I grew up in one of the better suburbs in NY and the opportunity provided in my kids school is much higher. Kids at my school are all provided with a chance to leave high school with an AA degree, or an AICE diploma which is like an IB. All the kids choose, there is no gatekeeping it only for those who "qualify". The sports at my school is better l, the theater program is better, the band is better, overall it is much better. The down side is that it is almost twice the size and for sports either you are quite talented at 14 or you don't make teams. Oddly OCPS is quite egalitarian about the education but very elitist about the extracurricular.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

I grew up in one of the better suburbs in NY and the opportunity provided in my kids school is much higher. Kids at my school are all provided with a chance to leave high school with an AA degree, or an AICE diploma which is like an IB. All the kids choose, there is no gatekeeping it only for those who "qualify". The sports at my school is better l, the theater program is better, the band is better, overall it is much better. The down side is that it is almost twice the size and for sports either you are quite talented at 14 or you don't make teams. Oddly OCPS is quite egalitarian about the education but very elitist about the extracurricular.

I grew up hearing Williamsville schools were so great, and they were fine, but we didn’t mint ivys or scholarships. Now having lived in Maryland outside of dc I can say upstate ny is equivalent to the Midwest in terms of competitiveness. It’s not bad it just is. 

Just as what you describe we see kids competing In everything school, chess, every sport, programming, cup stacking, debating, gaming, game developing, it’s  just a different world outside of wny. 

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, BillStime said:

This thread aged well.

You're going to deny what Poyer said about taxes?  OK.  Let's go through this again.  Put your head in the sand.  Go ahead.  You know how it's done.    Go ahead.  In the sand you go.  

• Like (+1) 1