Bills Are On The Clock at 27 (Calling all draft connoisseurs, provocateurs, saboteurs)

Victory Formation

Bills Are On The Clock at 27  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take?

• Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
    • Jahmmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama
    • Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State
    • Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
    • Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
    • O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
    • John Michael Schmitz, OL, Minnesota
    • Michael Mayer, TE, Norte Dame
    • Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
    • Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
    • Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
    • Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
    • Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    • Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
    • Other (Please list who and why.)

The new CBS Mock Draft is out, and it's the most realistic and ultimately disappointing for Bills. 

Hyatt gets picked before the Bills, leaving only Zay Flowers as the top flight WRs on the board. 

Bills end up with Broderick Jones and Parker Washington. 

I keep hearing how horrible this WR class is, but I don't see it. Several guys who are going to test well at the Combine and have numbers. Not the biggest physical group, but playmakers all over that are going to last past 35-40 picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Torrence isn't athletic enough to fit what the Bills want to do scheme wise, I also worry about his weight ballooning. Went Zay Flowers because he will probably actually be there at 27, unlike a lot of the players on this list. 

I would be excited with Zay Flowers.  In the past, Beane has talked about how valuable a player with a skill set like this would be.  Now, let's see what happens if that type of player is finally available to him for the taking...

That said, I think it's Bijan Robinson over EVERYONE and an absolute no-brainer if he is actually available at 27, but I doubt he would be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Torrence isn't athletic enough to fit what the Bills want to do scheme wise, I also worry about his weight ballooning. Went Zay Flowers because he will probably actually be there at 27, unlike a lot of the players on this list. 

I understand about the weight concern, as I would have with anyone that large.  I probably have the same concern about someone like Dewand Jones (Sp?).  I have Mike Williams flashbacks.

As far as "what we want to do scheme wise"...I don't get it.  First, what the Bills want to do scheme wise is pass the ball.  That isn't changing as long a Josh is behind center. And rule  no. 1 of passing the ball is keeping your golden armed QB upright and the pocket clean.  It is priority 1 and all other concerns are secondary, very secondary.

Second, he's an outstanding run blocker who can move people, either at the first or second level.  He's just not a guy that you might not want pulling outside on a regular basis. This is the job of the OC/running game coordinator/OL coach.  Its up to them to incorporate his strengths as a run blocker...which are outstanding, into the run game.  with a little creativity and a little work, he's someone your RB's would want to run behind. You don't have to redo your entire scheme, just some tweaks. And based on his ability as a drive blocker, the tweaks will pay dividends.  There are enough zone blocking plays that he can handle.

Personally, the worst they can do is pass on a premier pass protector because your  OC/running game coordinator/OL coach says, "there are one or 2 blocks in our 'scheme' that he can't make".  And then wait until the 3d round and take some guy who will struggle in pass pro, but can get outside on a pull for a running play.  And unfortunately, that is a scenario I can envision.

Pass pro is, and will be consideration 1, and everything else is secondary to that.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, Yantha said:

Connoisseur?  No.

Draft geek?  That would be me.

So you’re agreeing with me then. 

Draft geek isn’t anything close to connoisseur. As there are many of us who enjoy the draft but have no clue how any player will turn out.

I have spoken. Correctly. As usual.

• Haha (+1) 1

I answered Broderick Jones.  I think there is a chance he drops.  I don't think Skoronski will drop.  Jones is a bit raw, but very athletic and I think he is position versatile, that he can play any of four spots on the O-line.  I don't know if he can play center.  I wouldn't mind if Bijan Robinson were the pick.  I also wouldn't mind Smith-Njigba or Hyatt at WR.  I think Gibbs and Michael-Schmitz are reaches.  I think Q. Johnsson and Addison are probably gone.  I think Zay Flowers is a slot receiver, and I don't especially want to use a first round pick on a slot guy.  Nor do I want to use a first round pick on a TE with Dawson Knox already on the roster.  There are also a couple defensive players I wouldn't mind being Buffalo's pick.   I almost think the best outcome could be a trade down.  I think Buffalo might be able to get better value in the top third of round 2 than at #27.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

So you’re agreeing with me then. 

Draft geek isn’t anything close to connoisseur. As there are many of us who enjoy the draft but have no clue how any player will turn out.

I have spoken. Correctly. As usual.

lol are you ACTUALLY Chevy Chase?

I would trade my 1st and 2nd round picks to go Blue Light special Kmart bargain shopping looking for NFL Draft bargains that don’t cost a lot of money to sign saving cap space. Trade down for more draft capital we have a lot of roster spots that need to be filled on the Buffalo Bills roster is what I would personally do.

I want to bring in 10 new drafted Buffalo Bills players if possible just to compete for Bills roster spots. BSF like Bill Belichick does? Yes getting value and seeing what you can work with. Forget about the trading up trade down for the bargains. Unless a Buffalo Bills fan is afraid that Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott don’t know what they are doing? I don’t see why not as a Bills fan I am told by a lot of Bills fans and media that Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott are the greatest so let’s see some of that so called greatness in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

So it looks like The Board is right, at least when it comes to Daniel Jeremiah’s pov when it comes to whom the Bills should draft at 27

DJ’s team fits for draft prospects: star WR for Bills

A home playoff loss where the Bills mustered just 10 points in the Divisional Round was a bitter end to a season that began with Super Bowl expectations. The disappointing result could nudge Buffalo into getting another weapon for Josh Allen in the first round. Jeremiah sees Ohio State's Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Boston College's Zay Flowers as two wide receiver fits for the Bills at No. 27 overall.

"Smith-Njigba would probably be one that I would think would be a nice complement there," Jeremiah said. "If you're looking for somebody who can do some of that in the middle of the field, he gives you that. Gabe (Davis) can play more over the top and (Stefon) Diggs kind of does everything. That would be one I would think that would be a really good fit there as a really good player. I love Zay Flowers. I know he's not the biggest guy in the world at a little over 5-9, 182 pounds, but he's a clone to T.Y. Hilton."

Jeremiah also sees an opportunity for Buffalo to add to its interior offensive line, with Florida's O'Cyrus Torrence being a potential candidate late in Round 1.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-daniel-jeremiah-identifies-intriguing-team-fits-for-top-prospects

Edited by Victory Formation

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.