2023 Yankees thread.........Domingo German pitches perfect game

BADOLBILZ

Here is the link for this season to daily live and archived box scores for the Yankees...........and all their affiliates.........from AAA to the Dominican Summer League:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/stats/affiliates?teamId=147

Two pitchers showed up injured at camp..........and surprisingly Injurino wasn't one of them.

He already got tazed tho

With Montas likely done for the year and the Yankees passing on inexpensive, proven arms like Michael Wacha for the back of the rotation because they don't want to pay the Steve Cohen tax(which they are just under)..........if German and Schmidt don't look good..........there will soon, inevitably, be questions about whether they should bring in 2020 NL Cy Young winner Trevor Bauer for the $720K minimum.   Here is a good run-down on baseball's most controversial player:

Update:    Trevor Bauer heading to Japan to pitch the 2023 season.   It's the best deal for him.   Gets some innings in against a Triple A+ level of competition.......doesn't have to pitch for free in MLB where anything he earned would have come out of his Dodgers money.   Japanese society a bit different so perhaps not as critical about his consensual BDSM relationship that went wrong. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm stoked about this year's rotation.  Losing Montas hurts a bit; he's not great, but when healthy, he would be a very strong #5 guy.  German can take that spot and be as effective.

Cole, Rodon, Sevy, Cortes - that's a fearsome top 4.  Gotta be top 3 in the league.  

Houston has been like a brick wall - but I feel like NY might finally break through this year.  They need to be more healthy come October than they were this past year.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no idea if this dude will be able to field a position(he plays 3B/1B).........but man he hits baseballs hard and far.......struck out only in the low 20% and hit for average too in AA.

I think he found some of that David Ortiz juice a couple seasons ago and ever since then he has looked like the next Nelson Cruz.

He will either become a good major league hitter or end up in Japan or Korea or something.    Should be fun to watch in spring training.

hit a long HR in game today:

Edited by BADOLBILZ

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

Unless they have to deal with serious injuries the Yanks will be back in the postseason. Can they get past the Astros is the real question?

I doubt it.

Fangraphs has the Yankees as the best team in baseball because they calculate simply by adding up individual talent/depth..........but the issue yet again is that their lineup is SO imbalanced with right handed batters that there becomes a reverse synergy when opponents can just line up their right handed pitching and those guys can just tunnel those sliders etc..   It makes it so easy for the opposing pitchers to get in a groove.

The Yankees are talking about moving Judge to LF so Stanton can play RF..........but to what end?   So they get Donaldson DH at bats? 😂  Ideally they need the switch hitting Oswaldo Cabrera to step up and play out of his head and earn a starting spot in LF so they AT LEAST have two batters who can swing from the left side against RHP.  

Should be a big year for left handed bats with the shift being banned.........and the Astros have Alvarez, Tucker and Brantley..........3 tremendous ones........they should run away with the AL.   

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gleyber Tortoise.......traveling with the rooks and scrubeenies.

IKF too.

I get a little bored sometimes with the lopsided teams talk.  Can the Yanks beat the Astros?  Etc.  plenty of time for that in September.  I’m looking at teams that are up and coming or will exceed expectations.  I can see the white Sox making a comeback.  They were snake bit last year.  My “over” team is the Royals.  They’ll lose but have a lot of talent and youth.  

• Like (+1) 1

• BADOLBILZ changed the title to 2023 Yankees thread.........link to daily box scores for Yankees and all affiliates

I would feel better about the New York Yankees chances to win a World Series if George Steinbrenner was still alive and still the Yankees owner compared to his cheap son Hal Steinbrenner who isn’t his father in my opinion. Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

It's great to see Volpe doing well.  They held him out of a few potential trades, but it's all worth it if he pans out.

Starting to get pretty excited about opening day. It will help me overcome my impatience for the next Bills season to start.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

WOW!!!!! I didn't know that Volpe had that kind of power. 

Yeah Volpe accomplished a rare feat hitting 20 HR and stealing 50 bases in the minors last year.   It's kind of a cherry picked combo of stats.......but there hadn't been a player to do that at any level of the minor leagues in over a decade.    He put on a bunch of muscle during the lost covid season,  before that he had very little pop and was mainly a contact guy.   He has a high effort, violent swing kinda' like Don Mattingly had when he came up.   That's not a comp, just an observation.  He's not as naturally talented a hitter as Gleyber Torres but he's a much smarter, focused player.   Torres gives bats and plays away with his casual approach all the time.......Volpe never does.   They both over-swing but Volpe works to stay closed and keep his bat "in the zone" longer(see the 4th post in thread of Volpe practicing staying in the zone) while Torres is constantly flying open and trying to pull everything.   I don't think Volpe will stay at SS,  Oswald Peraza and Oswaldo Cabrera both have a lot more range and a stronger throwing arm and with shifts banned those things are more important now.    But he has a chance to be everything that we hoped Torres would be.........and the expectations on Torres were huge.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.