2023 Yankees thread.........Domingo German pitches perfect game

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This Yankees fan is right here.  Hey hater, why the venom?

<rant>

Cuz I'm a Mets fan and live amongst Yanks fans and the NYC media. Sucks to be second fiddle.  For the record some of my best friends are Yankee fans - so my 'hatred' is all in good fun. With that said (and as a Bills fan), the comparison between Yankee fans and Patriots/Brady fans is fascinating to me. They both exhibit similar behavior - as if their teams failure/success is a reflection of themself.  I'm  looking forward to the day that I'm that guy based on the Bills (or Mets) success.

</rant>

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

JMO - but it feels like Yankee fans only post here when there's something good to post. When things go bad this thread goes silent. Not much critical thinking as far as I can tell. 

Well baseball isn't really a quick-serve sport like football so unless you are listening to talk radio the schadenfreude doesn't automatically arrive the day after losses.

As disappointing as an 82-80 season is for the Yankees we still got to see Cole win the Cy Young,  Judge continue to play like an all-time great for the 100 games he played,  German pitch a perfect game etc..

It wasn't a lost season there were 82 very enjoyable days and though they waited too long to do it..........they did eventually bring up most of their near-ready prospects and gave them those valuable at bats/pitches so that they have a better chance of stepping in and playing much better in 2024.     Finishing with the best record since the end of August with a lineup with 4-6 yutes in the starting lineup every day was promising.

And also now it appears that Hal might be willing to address the over-reliance on analytics.    Next thing would be not clinging to dead money.   No excuse to have the owner on the other side of town with a fraction of the revenue out-spending you by nearly $100M in a sport without a salary cap.    Yankees should never NOT have the highest payroll.   There were times in some of the best Steinbrenner years where their payroll was double that of the next team.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/5/2023 at 6:07 AM, 4merper4mer said:

Ohtani at Yankee stadium would be undeniably impactful.  Of course he would be anywhere, but it would be something.

I buy the MLB package solely because of Ohtani. Were the Yankees to land him I wouldn’t have to re-up to see him. Though, I think Ohtani prefers the West Coast.

4 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

I buy the MLB package solely because of Ohtani. Were the Yankees to land him I wouldn’t have to re-up to see him. Though, I think Ohtani prefers the West Coast.

You should also watch:

Bobby Witt

Corbin Carrol

Royce Lewis

Riley Greene

Jrod

Acuna

Betts

DeLaCruz

Jonah Heim….from Buffalo

The entire Baltimore Orioles baseball team

and more.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s something that is way too early to bet on but might be fun to watch if it happens:

Evan Carter winning 2024 AL ROY…….AFTER winning ALCS and/or WS MVP.  I wonder if something like that has ever happened before.  The kid can swing a bat.

Edited by 4merper4mer

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:48 AM, SinceThe70s said:

<rant>

Cuz I'm a Mets fan and live amongst Yanks fans and the NYC media. Sucks to be second fiddle.  For the record some of my best friends are Yankee fans - so my 'hatred' is all in good fun. With that said (and as a Bills fan), the comparison between Yankee fans and Patriots/Brady fans is fascinating to me. They both exhibit similar behavior - as if their teams failure/success is a reflection of themself.  I'm  looking forward to the day that I'm that guy based on the Bills (or Mets) success.

</rant>

As a New York Yankees fan because I grew up with Thurman Munson the 1976,1977 and 1978 Yankees in Buffalo. With the Yankees Burger King cards and the Reggie Bars the Yankees were really good when I started watching baseball and there games were on channel 29 in Buffalo. The New York Mets you needed cable and my suburban area Clarence where I grew up wasn’t wired for cable until 1980. International Cable stopped at transit road where Eastern Hills Mall is. That is when my home got WOR 9 Mets games and WPIX 11 Yankees games along with TBS Atlanta Braves 1980 when Global Cable wired Clarence town past Transit Road. I saw Mets games before that but it was either NBC game of the week, Monday Night Baseball or Montreal Expos games that Buffalo got on CBC along with the Toronto Blue Jays games on CBC and CTV that was it until 1980 cable for me personally. 

The New York Mets blew it in Buffalo with there 4 year affiliation with the Buffalo Bisons. The Mets treated the Buffalo Bisons really badly and I know bought the Syracuse Mets after the Buffalo Bisons gave up the Mets to Las Vegas for the Toronto Blue Jays. But Syracuse isn’t half the sports city Buffalo is especially baseball. You can thank Fred and his meddling son Jeff Wilpon for that. They were meddlers especially the son. They wanted the Buffalo Bisons who had there nickname since 1877 to change it to Buffalo Mets. Crazy stuff like that along with bad triple a teams along with the meddling son got the Mets shown the door in Buffalo. It’s unfortunate because the Mets really missed a huge opportunity to create more Mets fans and good will in the Western part of New York State by not being so controlling and jerky about it. Your not reasonable to me asking a triple a team to change their name to Mets after over a 100 years. It would have potentially bankrupt the Buffalo Bisons the backlash. Because one Buffalo is a very traditional sports market that doesn’t like a lot of change and two Buffalo roots for multiple MLB teams and putting a MLB team name on the Buffalo Bisons. Limits the interest to New York Mets fans only potentially. Buffalo Bisons you can be any MLB fan and wearing Buffalo Bisons merchandise is ok if you are a New York Yankees fan or a New York Mets fan. So from a business perspective the Bisons changed the colors for the Mets but that was all the Mets were getting in Buffalo. Because putting a MLB name on a triple a team isn’t good for merchandise sales which the minors need that merchandise revenue because they don’t get huge television money like the MLB teams get in my opinion. Go Bisons! Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

As a New York Yankees fan because I grew up with Thurman Munson the 1976,1977 and 1978 Yankees in Buffalo. With the Yankees Burger King cards and the Reggie Bars the Yankees were really good when I started watching baseball and there games were on channel 29 in Buffalo. The New York Mets you needed cable and my suburban area Clarence where I grew up wasn’t wired for cable until 1980. International Cable stopped at transit road where Eastern Hills Mall is. That is when my home got WOR 9 Mets games and WPIX 11 Yankees games along with TBS Atlanta Braves 1980 when Global Cable wired Clarence town past Transit Road. I saw Mets games before that but it was either NBC game of the week, Monday Night Baseball or Montreal Expos games that Buffalo got on CBC along with the Toronto Blue Jays games on CBC and CTV that was it until 1980 cable for me personally. 

The New York Mets blew it in Buffalo with there 4 year affiliation with the Buffalo Bisons. The Mets treated the Buffalo Bisons really badly and I know bought the Syracuse Mets after the Buffalo Bisons gave up the Mets to Las Vegas for the Toronto Blue Jays. But Syracuse isn’t half the sports city Buffalo is especially baseball. You can thank Fred and his meddling son Jeff Wilpon for that. They were meddlers especially the son. They wanted the Buffalo Bisons who had there nickname since 1877 to change it to Buffalo Mets. Crazy stuff like that along with bad triple a teams along with the meddling son got the Mets shown the door in Buffalo. It’s unfortunate because the Mets really missed a huge opportunity to create more Mets fans and good will in the Western part of New York State by not being so controlling and jerky about it. Your not reasonable to me asking a triple a team to change their name to Mets after over a 100 years. It would have potentially bankrupt the Buffalo Bisons the backlash. Because one Buffalo is a very traditional sports market that doesn’t like a lot of change and two Buffalo roots for multiple MLB teams and putting a MLB team name on the Buffalo Bisons. Limits the interest to New York Mets fans only potentially. Buffalo Bisons you can be any MLB fan and wearing Buffalo Bisons merchandise is ok if you are a New York Yankees fan or a New York Mets fan. So from a business perspective the Bisons changed the colors for the Mets but that was all the Mets were getting in Buffalo. Because putting a MLB name on a triple a team isn’t good for merchandise sales which the minors need that merchandise revenue because they don’t get huge television money like the MLB teams get in my opinion. Go Bisons! Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I'm happy that you're a Yankee fan. Have a nice day.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.