Student in yearbook identified only as 'Black Girl

I think schools should be able to determine if a student is intelligent, don't you?  See they have these things called tests... <_<

So if poor parent of a smart kid in an underfunded school asks the school board to move his kid into a better funded district, the answer should be no? 

The smart kid shouldn't have access to computers, up-to-date text books and possibly better teachers?

How is stiffling good students because they are poor a good precedent?

344618[/snapback]

Except all the liberals say testing is only good for "test ready" and "white" students and discriminate against black and inner city youth. Therefore NCLB and all the testing should go away and the districts should get the money wthout proving the teachers are qualified and who cares how the kids do.

As far as a parent asking to move their kids to another district here in VA you can do it, and when I was a kid in NYS you could do it. However you as a parent are charged extra money for that.

Of course NCLB which everone hates and the SOL's here in VA have stipulations that if a school is bad the parent can send their child to a better school on the governments dime.

But of course back to point one, "tests are bad".

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I never heard the term "White Guy" come out the mouths of Black Folks.

344673[/snapback]

The point being what? That there are both black people and white people who are rude and obnoxious? I don't believe anything I wrote in that post stated otherwise.

The point being what?  That there are both black people and white people who are rude and obnoxious?  I don't believe anything I wrote in that post stated otherwise.

344787[/snapback]

You're rude and obnoxious, but we get along anyway.

Wow, the avalanche of responses to this thread makes me realize how much harm the PCification of the last 5 - 10 years has actually done.

IMO the actual opportunity to express one's thoughts, whether they are ignorant, unfeeling, or malicious is the way to cure the boil of intolerance and hatred.

PC just lets the feelings fester since we all know the banished (ie censored) subjects and stereotypes don't go away they just get discussed (and re-enforced) among groups you know are "safe". Is this progressive or retro?

IMO (OPINION being the significant phrase) the comments here range from raw and ignorant to insightful and revealing. But at least they foster understanding of the various points of view out there.

Wow, the avalanche of responses to this thread makes me realize how much harm  the PCification of the last 5 - 10 years has actually done. 

IMO the actual opportunity to express one's thoughts, whether they are ignorant, unfeeling, or malicious is the way to cure the boil of intolerance and hatred. 

PC just lets the feelings fester since we all know the banished (ie censored) subjects and stereotypes don't go away they just get discussed (and re-enforced) among groups you know are "safe".  Is this progressive or retro?

IMO (OPINION being the significant phrase) the comments here range from raw and ignorant to insightful and revealing.  But at least they foster understanding of the various points of view out there.

344882[/snapback]

Yeah, and Promo is still an idiot.

Except all the liberals say testing is only good for "test ready" and "white" students and discriminate against black and inner city youth.  Therefore NCLB and all the testing should go away and the districts should get the money wthout proving the teachers are qualified and who cares how the kids do. 

Of course NCLB which everone hates and the SOL's here in VA have stipulations that if a school is bad the parent can send their child to a better school on the governments dime. 

But of course back to point one, "tests are bad".

344769[/snapback]

It's not just liberals who think tests are stupid. I have a professor who is a hardcore Libertarian and he doesn't see any benefit in asking his students to regurgitate a memorized piece of trivia. Labeling all educators as liberals in an attempt to prove a point (I know, I know, liberals are evil) is an exageration to the nth degree.

Also, sending your kids to another school if it continues to score poorly isn't really going to resolve anything, is it? It certainly will not correct any alledged deficiencies in the school.

Why don't we at least attempt to correct the "problem" schools, or even better, tell the federal government to keep out of state issues.

On the subject of school aid why is it assumed that district funding of schools is a de facto right. IN NYS it isn't even a fact. Follow the lawsuits regarding the "upstate" vs "downstate" distribution of school aid. Not sure of the Fed vs State vs local %'s but I think they are stacked in favor of the first two.

The erosion of the US's intellectual superiority is a fact. And my belief is that the school system is 70 % to blame (with another 20% being the erosion of the family). Private schools are (and should be) an option for those who can afford them (WITHOUT tax credits) but funding school districts based upon the district's income is ludicrist.

MINIMAL FEDERAL standards (right or wrong) exist and to bring them up RESOURCES need to be prioritized for those schools which are lacking. The career opportunities that existed for the uneducated just 20 years ago don't exist today. The individual and society suffer when the educatable are not.

Race and economics aside, contrary to PC teaching we are not all intellectually equal. Competetion helps one to excel in acedemics as well as athletics. If you are not academically gifted you shouldn't have to compete against those that are. And vica versa. It hurts both extremes.

Put the bottom 20% of acheivers in one school, and the top 20% in another and educate them appropriately and the rest can stay put. Just my opinion.

On the subject of school aid why is it assumed that district funding of schools is a de facto right.  IN NYS it isn't even a fact.  Follow the lawsuits regarding the "upstate" vs "downstate" distribution of school aid.  Not sure of the Fed vs State vs local %'s but I think they are stacked in favor of the first two.

The erosion of the US's intellectual superiority is a fact.  And my belief is that the school system is 70 % to blame (with another 20% being the erosion of the family). Private schools are (and should be) an option for those who can afford them (WITHOUT tax credits) but funding school districts based upon the  district's income is ludicrist. 

MINIMAL FEDERAL standards (right or wrong) exist and to bring them up RESOURCES need to be prioritized for those schools which are lacking.  The career opportunities that existed for the uneducated just 20 years ago don't exist today.  The individual and society suffer when the educatable are not. 

Race and economics aside, contrary to PC teaching we are not all intellectually equal.  Competetion helps one to excel in acedemics as well as athletics.  If you are not academically gifted you shouldn't have to compete against those that are.  And vica versa.  It hurts both extremes.

Put the bottom 20% of acheivers in one school, and the top 20% in another and educate them appropriately and the rest can stay put.    Just my opinion.

344909[/snapback]

An excellent post overall, but I disagree with the part about vouchers. School choice (including the freedom to choose a private school) should exist for everyone, not just the well off. So if student X is slated to receive $10,000 in education funding, let that child and his or her parents decide which school the child should go to (and therefore receive the money). This free market mechanism will do a better job of holding schools accountable than the present bureaucrat-choice education model we presently have in place.

It's not just liberals who think tests are stupid.  I have a professor who is a hardcore Libertarian and he doesn't see any benefit in asking his students to regurgitate a memorized piece of trivia.  Labeling all educators as liberals in an attempt to prove a point (I know, I know, liberals are evil) is an exageration to the nth degree.

Also, sending your kids to another school if it continues to score poorly isn't really going to resolve anything, is it?  It certainly will not correct any alledged deficiencies in the school.

Why don't we at least attempt to correct the "problem" schools, or even better, tell the federal government to keep out of state issues.

344907[/snapback]

Because as a tax payor if my federal money is going somewhere, I want to know for what, I want to see some results and I want someone to be qualified to use it. If the states want to run education without interference from the federal government, they can, they just don't get federal funding.

The point being what?  That there are both black people and white people who are rude and obnoxious?  I don't believe anything I wrote in that post stated otherwise.

344787[/snapback]

POINT BEING THIS: (there I spelled it out for you).

Last week, I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand".

And later another woman had on a shirt that said, "The Black Woman" which listed reasons why black women are so great.

So, we get the message , "Hey we are different, recognize that you white people!"

But when we do, we are racist, of course.

So when some refers to some one as "back girl" in placement text in a yearbook of an almost white school, they are called "racist",

and of course, money will be demanded.

If you don't see the hypocrisy with this incident, and how hyper-sensitive the back community is about race in general, then I can't help you.

Later Tatter....

I am.  I wish I were a portly piece of sh-- with zero credibility but could still fleece people on a whim.

344920[/snapback]

<_<:blink:

Not jealous that way.

Jealous that somebody is rushing to her aid?

Maybe we can get one (advocate) for all the portly white guys out there?

:P:D;)

People on both sides of this debate have good points. Those who call for sensitivity and respect have a point. But others have a point in saying that sensitivity can be taken too far, and that there's such a thing as having too thin a skin. Exactly where to draw the line is open to debate, but clearly the same standards should be in place for everyone. So if we're going to yell at a school for its yearbook label of "black girl" then we have to be equally adamant that blacks not refer to anyone as "that white guy." But many blacks are willing to use that kind of verbiage, and I for one don't see it as a sign of disrespect.

I just look at it from the girl's point of view. It's her yearbook and she must be mortified. At some point in time there may have been other monikers, eg "fat kid", "zitface" etc applied to photos where the staff didn't know the studen'ts name, who knows? But those didn't get published.

At a minimum the yearbook staff and supervisor are sloppy. Given it's Waxahachie I'm not surprised, the "DUH" factor is large there.

Worst case it's outright racism. I hope not but in the end this poor girl has a yearbook that she probably won't be able to even think of without some pain for many years.

What purpose does putting "black girl" in as a place holder have done?

Were they arranging the book by color and what looks best?

<_<

The major mistake is that it got printed. What a slip!

As a place holder for the book... Why not "student?"

Again, what exact reason is given for ellaborating on the place holder?

??

...in the end this poor girl has a yearbook that she probably won't be able to even think of without some pain for many years.

344949[/snapback]

They are printing corrected yearbooks which will actually be distributed to the students.