Student in yearbook identified only as 'Black Girl

What purpose does putting "black girl" in as a place holder have done?

Were they arranging the book by color and what looks best?

<_<

The major mistake is that it got printed.  What a slip!

As a place holder for the book... Why not "student?"

Again, what exact reason is given for ellaborating on the place holder?

??

344951[/snapback]

I can only speak to the low tech methods used in '85, but placeholders were used to identify the picture that was to go into a specific place during the layout process.

In the section that I edited (Sports), I used descriptives like blonde golfer, short goalie, dumb play, etc.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak to the low tech methods used in '85, but placeholders were used to identify the picture that was to go into a specific place during the layout process.

In the section that I edited (Sports), I used descriptives like blonde golfer, short goalie, dumb play, etc.

344966[/snapback]

Thanks... But what purpose does the descriptive (black), in this case, accomplish? (Or, blonde in 1985)

Why not just girl?

If it was the main section, class enrollment... It is even more disturbing.

We all joke about this. What do you think the girl is feeling? It is like saying: "Ah, that doesn't hurt" to a person who suffered a physical pain. You just can't simply blow it off as harmless... It got printed and shows one's penchant for labeling people.

Give me one good reason why she needed be labeled with an adjective. I might see the methodoligy behind it.

Again, what a slip. <_<

Do you see what I am getting at?

Thanks... But what purpose does the descriptive (black), in this case, accomplish? (Or, blonde in 1985)

Why not just girl?

344971[/snapback]

The reason the placeholder would be named in that manner is because I had stacks of photos of golfers, but only one appeared to have blonde hair (B&W photos). If it had been merely "golfer" I wouldn't have a clue as to which photo I was thinking would work in that space and would be formatting the page all over again.

Maybe it's because I've had the task of formatting a yearbook before, but if there is something that's unique and easily observed that allows you to identify that particular photo from the stacks of hundreds in front of you, you use it, especially if you don't know the name of the person in the photo. Frankly, I just don't see any racism in that.

Also, their faculty advisor might be like ours was. He only give us editors his classroom for 1 hour a day after school - and if we had practice, work, or whatever other commitment a high schooler might have, that was another day lost in trying to pull it together.

Every time I look at my senior yearbook I'm reminded of the pride that we editors had when it finally went to print. It truly was a massive undertaking.

The reason the placeholder would be named in that manner is because I had stacks of photos of golfers, but only one appeared to have blonde hair (B&W photos).  If it had been merely "golfer" I wouldn't have a clue as to which photo I was thinking would work in that space and would be formatting the page all over again. 

Maybe it's because I've had the task of formatting a yearbook before, but if there is something that's unique and easily observed that allows you to identify that particular photo from the stacks of hundreds in front of you, you use it, especially if you don't know the name of the person in the photo. Frankly, I just don't see any racism in that. 

Also, their faculty advisor might be like ours was.  He only give us editors his classroom for 1 hour a day after school - and if we had practice, work, or whatever other commitment a high schooler might have, that was another day lost in trying to pull it together.   

Every time I look at my senior yearbook I'm reminded of the pride that we editors had when it finally went to print. It truly was a massive undertaking.

344996[/snapback]

Again thanks. I hope they explain it that way. It begins to change my view on the story.

I just look at it from the girl's point of view.  It's her yearbook and she must be mortified.  At some point in time there may have been other monikers, eg "fat kid", "zitface" etc applied to photos where the staff didn't know the studen'ts name, who knows?  But those didn't get published.

At a minimum the yearbook staff and supervisor are sloppy.  Given it's Waxahachie I'm not surprised, the "DUH" factor is large there.

Worst case it's outright racism.  I hope not but in the end this poor girl has a yearbook that she probably won't be able to even think of without some pain for many years.

344949[/snapback]

I agree with that. It is unfortunate and clearly embarrassing to the girl and people should feel for her. But it was a mistake and I'm sure this little event will not derail this young lady's life.

Anyone who would honestly suggest it is racist in any way is just looking for trouble where it doesn't exist.

No read the article again.  They are only reprinting those pages and distributing them.

345166[/snapback]

I didn't read the linked article in this thread, but the one I did read prior to this thread being posted did say that the yearbooks were being re-printed. If the article you read is accurate in that regard, it doesn't change my opinion on whether it was racially motivated or not, but it certainly makes it much more regretable.

POINT BEING THIS: (there I spelled it out for you).

Last week, I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand".

And later another woman had on a shirt that said, "The Black Woman" which listed reasons why black women are so great.

So, we get the message , "Hey we are different, recognize that you white people!"

But when we do, we are racist, of course.

So when some refers to some one as "back girl" in placement text in a yearbook of an almost white school, they are called "racist",

and of course, money will be demanded.

If you don't see the hypocrisy with this incident, and how hyper-sensitive the back community is about race in general, then I can't help you.

Later Tatter....

344939[/snapback]

"of course, money will be demanded." It hasn't been. Why not wait until it has before getting your panties in a bunch about it? That would seem to be preferable to imagining they will do what they haven't yet done and then pillory them for what they haven't done.

Did the particular girl in the year book incident wear "The Black Woman" T-shirt or is she a hypocrite for being offended because of what somebody else has said or done? Is your point that all black people are hypersensitive hypocrites? Does the girl in the year book incident have to prove that no black person anywhere has ever used the term in any way with impunity before she is allowed to be offended by its use in her particular case? Our thinking on this issue shouldn't be so lacking in nuance that we are unable to recognize that a particular word can be offensive in one context and not another or that the the same word coming from one source can have a different effect than when used by another.

Who is in a better position to judge the racial offensiveness of a given remark in a given context, a person who has been a victim of racism or one who never has?

My primary point here is that if this girl says she was offended, why wasn't the response here the same as it was by the year book people: apologize, tell her no harm was meant and fix it? Why was the response instead to mock, attack and refuse to even consider the possibity that her hurt feelings might be legitimate? Again, I think simple courtesy and manners would take care of so much of this kind of thing without all the hair pulling and breast beating on both sides.

"of course, money will be demanded."  It hasn't been.  Why not wait until it has before getting your panties in a bunch about it?  That would seem to be preferable to imagining they will do what they haven't yet done and then pillory them for what they haven't done.

Just curious....will you come back here to issue an apology to philburger if in fact she does sue the school district?

Who is in a better position to judge the racial offensiveness of a given remark in a given context, a person who has been a victim of racism or one who never has? 

345618[/snapback]

It is a just a general statement of the mindset of white america.

There is a big push to hyphenate someone's identity, so instead of Americans,

we have African-Americans, Asia-Americans, etc.....

So if the ethic background comes first, not the fact that they are Americans,

they why be offended when you are identified by it?

Because it came from a white guy?

I'm sorry, but the whole issue is a bit schizophrenic

Describing someone unknown by white, black, asian is hardly racist; it's simply descriptive.

"1-Adam-12, I have an APB on a, uh, a human."

Now, saying races shouldn't mix - now that's racist. If that poster is identified as having been banned previously, I fail to understand why he is allowed to post here again.

Describing someone unknown by white, black, asian is hardly racist; it's simply descriptive.

"1-Adam-12, I have an APB on a, uh, a human."

Now, saying races shouldn't mix - now that's racist. If that poster is identified as having been banned previously, I fail to understand why he is allowed to post here again.

345856[/snapback]

"The suspect is hatless...repeat...hatless"

Just curious....will you come back here to issue an apology to philburger if in fact she does sue the school district?

345662[/snapback]

Why, because I suggested that he wait for "them" to actually bring a law suit before flaming them for doing so? Curious standard. Where is your post asking him if he is going to send that girl a letter of apology if she doesn't?

Isn't it amazing how we can make a problem out of anything?

Friggen incredible. And oh, so newsworthy. This so much impacts on not only my daily life, but my future as well.

345875[/snapback]

Good point about this being newsworthy. The kids who published the yearbook didn't do anything to deserve being part of a nationally publicized racial controversy. Any time the subject of race comes up, a lot of people become vicious in propounding their views.

That's not to say that the girl in question doesn't have a reason to complain. Having your name replaced with a label in your own high school yearbook isn't something any teenager wants.

So the bad situation created by careless editing was made worse by unnecessary reporting.

Good point about this being newsworthy. The kids who published the yearbook didn't do anything to deserve being part of a nationally publicized racial controversy. Any time the subject of race comes up, a lot of people become vicious in propounding their views.

That's not to say that the girl in question doesn't have a reason to complain. Having your name replaced with a label in your own high school yearbook isn't something any teenager wants.

So the bad situation created by careless editing was made worse by unnecessary reporting.

345898[/snapback]

Well, that's stating the obvious-but so did I.

345898[/snapback]

But God forbid if she tries to marry a white boy... :lol: