Student in yearbook identified only as 'Black Girl

I only got my high school one, with the regents gold seal and a number of little ribbons signifying the number of classes I received regents in (French, Math and Science).  <_<

344605[/snapback]

Private high schools don't give Regents diplomas. At least that's my recollection- my HS diploma just has my high school name on it. I never took a single Regents exam, although I know the public school kids had to take them.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great idea, unfortunately as long as you fund education at the district level, it's not going to happen.

It's not case that a parent doesn't feel like paying the extra taxes for their child's education, it's the case that they can't afford the price of moving into the better neighborhoods in that makes up the district.

And textbooks cost money, computers cost money, after-school activities cost money, and teachers cost money.  So while parents can do alot to make up the gap, it still is a money issue.

344631[/snapback]

And...?

The government provides text books, classrooms and teachers. The government gaurentees a basic minimum level of education. If I want to pay extra taxes so my kid has better than the minimum, how is that wrong? It's my money.

Is it also wrong that I pay to take my kid to a better doctor? Or that I paid to straighten my kid's teeth? Or that I bought my kid a safter car? Or that I paid for my kid's college education?

That's a great idea, unfortunately as long as you fund education at the district level, it's not going to happen.

It's not case that a parent doesn't feel like paying the extra taxes for their child's education, it's the case that they can't afford the price of moving into the better neighborhoods in that makes up the district.

And textbooks cost money, computers cost money, after-school activities cost money, and teachers cost money.  So while parents can do alot to make up the gap, it still is a money issue.

344631[/snapback]

So, you think that is the only way to improve your kid's education? No wonder kids are falling behind. Ever think of getting more personally involved in the kid's education? Doesn't cost a thing. There are also these things call libraries. They have books. Amazingly, kids can go into these establishments and actually read them. If they can't read, the library will teach them how to read.

Initiative is free. I lived in a crappy school district, but I did not let that stop me. Why? Because I had initiative. I wanted something that me school could not provide. I spent time at the free library and taught myself. I didn't need a computer. I didn't need more money. All I needed was my own initiative. My parents were also very involved in my education. They would teach me how to study in order to get the most out of what I learned. They taught me how to research, in order to find the answers to my questions. They took an active role in the school as far as making the bad teachers accountable. All of these items are free.

Based upon my experience, I thought everyone in NYS who graduated received a district diploma, and everyone who graduated Regents received two - the district and the Regents.  Is that not the case?  <_<

344590[/snapback]

Dunno, I didn't graduate in NYS.

I had the grades to get into Harvard or Yale, but could not afford the tuition. Since you believe that smart people should not be deprived of a quality education, I expect a check from you (made out to me) to cover my tuition costs. So, is it safe to say that I will see the check from you by the end of next week?

344630[/snapback]

I didn't go to Harvard or Yale, but got a quality college education thanks to government grants and loans. My mother was an ace at filling out those applications and forms, perhaps you could have used someone like her to help you out.

Thanks to the career I was able to persue due to my college education, I've been able to pay back the goverment ten fold through income taxes. I've also been able to buy several cars, a house, a bunch of durable goods, and a sh!tload of other things that I really didn't need. I'm a kick-ass capitalist and a first rate free enterpriser(?).

See how it works? It's not a give away, it's an investment. Invest in a smart kid in high school, and they'll pay it back ten-fold over the rest of their life.

I didn't go to Harvard or Yale, but got a quality college education thanks to government grants and loans.  My mother was an ace at filling out those applications and forms, perhaps you could have used someone like her to help you out.

Thanks to the career I was able to persue due to my college education, I've been able to pay back the goverment ten fold through income taxes.  I've also been able to buy several cars, a house, a bunch of durable goods, and a sh!tload of other things that I really didn't need.  I'm a kick-ass capitalist and a first rate free enterpriser(?).

See how it works?  It's not a give away, it's an investment.  Invest in a smart kid in high school, and they'll pay it back ten-fold over the rest of their life.

344645[/snapback]

Send me the check and I will pay you back in the future. Same concept. Consider it "investing in the future." So, I can expect to see it next week then?

Our nation's history in the area of race-relations is regretable, and I'm well aware of our past. 

Your example where you used the term "japped" is something of a strawman relative  to the issue at hand, but we'll continue the scene.  Let's say you follow bar etiquette and tell him you're going to buy him a drink to show you meant no hard feelings, afterall, you didn't mean to offend the only Asian in the bar by making a flippant remark.  Besides, you tell him, that had you known it's implied meaning, you would have never said in the first place  He thanks you and returns to the area of his table to grab a smoke.  You don't know his name, but he overhears you asking the waitress to deliver a beer to "the Japanese man" as you point in the general vicinity of where his table is.  Is he offended then? 

If the yearbook contained the n-word or any other of a number crass, rude, and downright deragotory terms I'd agree with you 110%.  Instead, the student editors captioned her photo as "black girl" in the template and failed to correct it before it went to print.  Having served as an editor for my senior class yearbook, captioning photos in a similar manner until the proper spelling, or even just the student's name if it's unknown, can be confirmed is a common occurance. 

They used a non-deragotory term for the student's race to quickly and easily identify her.  There doesn't appear to be any hidden agenda, subversion, or insult, only sloppy editing before the book went to print.  Big deal.

344521[/snapback]

I would ask him why he was offended and providing that he had a decent explanation, I would simply apologize again letting him know that I had no idea that it was offensive in that context. My hunch is that what he would have said in that situation is that being consistently and automatically identified soley by his race is what was offensive, not the words "Japanese man". I could have said "the guy over there in the white shirt" or the "guy next to the window" or whatever. He might have some entirely different reason I never thought of. I would have accepted that explanation and bought him another beer. Again, do we really need for this girl to prove the worthiness of her feelings before apologizing? Civil interaction between citizens shouldn't require an ironclad case. If he tells me it offended him, what should be my response? Call him a liar? Attack him as thin skinned?

The words "black girl" are not offensive. Being the only one referred to by her race and little else could easily be hurtful. I imagine her thought was "is that all I am, 'the black girl?'" Why not the "tall girl" or simply "unknown"?

So, you think that is the only way to improve your kid's education? No wonder kids are falling behind. Ever think of getting more personally involved in the kid's education? Doesn't cost a thing. There are also these things call libraries. They have books. Amazingly, kids can go into these establishments and actually read them. If they can't read, the library will teach them how to read.

Initiative is free. I lived in a crappy school district, but I did not let that stop me. Why? Because I had initiative. I wanted something that me school could not provide. I spent time at the free library and taught myself. I didn't need a computer. I didn't need more money. All I needed was my own initiative. My parents were also very involved in my education. They would teach me how to study in order to get the most out of what I learned. They taught me how to research, in order to find the answers to my questions. They took an active role in the school as far as making the  bad teachers accountable. All of these items are free.

344643[/snapback]

Great, good for you. So your parents could do all that for you, but it would have been wrong for them to try to get you into a better public school system?

Send me the check and I will pay you back in the future. Same concept. Consider it "investing in the future." So, I can expect to see it next week then?

344648[/snapback]

Dude, I gave that money to the IRS April 15th. Fill out the forms, get approved, and it's yours.

Dude, I gave that money to the IRS April 15th.  Fill out the forms, get approved, and it's yours.

344654[/snapback]

You are so adamant that people need to get a quality education and that others should pay for it. I chose you to pay for it. So, why don't you put your money where your mouth is? Check from you next week?

Great, good for you.  So your parents could do all that for you, but it would have been wrong for them to try to get you into a better public school system?

344651[/snapback]

Couldn't afford to live in another district.

You are so adamant that people need to get a quality education and that others should pay for it. I chose you to pay for it. So, why don't you put your money where your mouth is? So, check from you next week?

344657[/snapback]

Through taxes, yes, people fund public education. My taxes have been paid to the government, who will disperse the funds.

So if you're as smart and deserving as you say you are, the money's waiting for you. Fill our the federal forms and it's yours.

Personally, I hope it goes to kids in the inner city.

Great, good for you.  So your parents could do all that for you, but it would have been wrong for them to try to get you into a better public school system?

344651[/snapback]

So reading all your responses you are for school vouchers, right?

As for a more equitable way of dividing money for education you should should do a little reading on what is going on in MI. That's what they do and it's not working too well especially in the cities that have high growth rates...

Through taxes, yes, people fund public education.  My taxes have been paid to the government, who will disperse the funds.

So if you're as smart and deserving as you say you are, the money's waiting for you. Fill our the federal forms and it's yours.

Personally, I hope it goes to kids in the inner city.

344662[/snapback]

Again, you are strictly focusing on federal funds, not local funds via property taxes. Each taxpayer in the district pays for the schools in said district. You want people of other districts to pay for your education. I am using the same concept on a smaller scale. I am having you pay for my education. You refuse and again, try to have others pay for the education. Dude, your words are not backed up by your actions.

I had the grades to get into Harvard or Yale, but could not afford the tuition.

344630[/snapback]

All the Ivies provide financial aid on the basis of need. You take out the maximum in loans, you work a work-study job during the year, the school figures out what your parents can pay, and then the school makes up the difference. Then you pay your share back with your earnings after graduation. That's what I did.

Saying you didn't go because you couldn't afford the tuition isn't quite accurate. It's more accurate to say that you didn't APPLY because you didn't want to incur long-term debt, or your parents thought college should cost less than what the schools thought they could pay, or both. I'm not saying those aren't valid considerations. They are. But nobody who is willing to make those sacrifices can say they "couldn't afford the tuition" after financial aid comes into play.

Incidentally, and this is just to pick a nit, every Ivy could just about fill its incoming class with 4.0's and 1600 SATs. They don't, because grades are only one part of the admissions criteria. So saying you "had the grades" to get into Harvard or Yale just puts you on the same footing with the 12,000 people who apply to Harvard and Yale each year -- only 2,000 or so of whom are actually accepted.

Too bad more people didn't think like me.  You could have a Harvard diploma on your wall right now.  Oh well.

344666[/snapback]

I am thinking like you. I want someone else to pay for my Harvard diploma.

I would ask him why he was offended and providing that he had a decent explanation, I would simply apologize again letting him know that I had no idea that it was offensive in that context.  My hunch is that what he would have said in that situation is that being consistently and automatically identified soley by his race is what was offensive, not the words "Japanese man".  I could have said "the guy over there in the white shirt" or the "guy next to the window" or whatever.  He might have some entirely different reason I never thought of.  I would have accepted that explanation and bought him another beer.  Again, do we really need for this girl to prove the worthiness of her feelings before apologizing?  Civil interaction between citizens shouldn't require an ironclad case.  If he tells me it offended him, what should be my response?  Call him a liar?  Attack him as thin skinned? 

The words "black girl" are not offensive.  Being the only one referred to by her race and little else could easily be hurtful.  I imagine her thought was "is that all I am, 'the black girl?'"  Why not the "tall girl" or simply "unknown"?

344650[/snapback]

Yeah, I never heard the term "White Guy" come out the mouths of Black Folks.

All the Ivies provide financial aid on the basis of need.  You take out the maximum in loans, you work a work-study job during the year, the school figures out what your parents can pay, and then the school makes up the difference.  Then you pay your share back with your earnings after graduation.  That's what I did.

Saying you didn't go because you couldn't afford the tuition isn't quite accurate.  It's more accurate to say that you didn't APPLY because you didn't want to incur long-term debt, or your parents thought college should cost less than what the schools thought they could pay, or both.  I'm not saying those aren't valid considerations.  They are.  But nobody who is willing to make those sacrifices can say they "couldn't afford the tuition" after financial aid comes into play.

Incidentally, and this is just to pick a nit, every Ivy could just about fill its incoming class with 4.0's and 1600 SATs.  They don't, because grades are only one part of the admissions criteria.  So saying you "had the grades" to get into Harvard or Yale just puts you on the same footing with the 12,000 people who apply to Harvard and Yale each year -- only 2,000 or so of whom are actually accepted.

344670[/snapback]

I am providing an example based on the criteria provided by jad1. Obviously, there are other considerations that were not mentioned. I am trying to stick to the point raised.

So reading all your responses you are for school vouchers, right? 

As for a more equitable way of dividing money for education you should should do a little reading on what is going on in MI.  That's  what they do and it's not working too well especially in the cities that have high growth rates...

344667[/snapback]

Not for private schools, no. I know there's a ton of problems with public education, many of which have been brought up here. I'm not even going to pretend that I know how to fix it.

But if we can rescue kids who are excelling in failing schools, why shouldn't we? Let them move to better disctricts. Sure it costs money in the short term, but in the long run it will benefit the student and the community they live in.