CPR and Defribillators

SinceThe70s

It's been one hell of a week. What happened to Damar in front of a national (and international) audience was horrific but appears to be headed towards a happy ending - due to the medical personnel available, their training and equipment. In particular CPR training and a defibrillator (AED). I was inspired to create this thread when I saw that the Saints and Pelicans donated 40 AED's to youth sports (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/05/saints-and-pelicans-donate-67-aeds-to-local-recreation-departments/) which reminded me of my local community. 

Before I ever had kids,  a high school boy in my community was hit in the chest with a lacrosse ball went into cardiac arrest and passed away. His life may have been saved if a defibrillator was available. His parents spear-headed efforts to raise awareness and prevent it from happening to another child. When I signed up to coach little league baseball I was surprised to learn that I had to take CPR training every two years which included learning how to use a defibrillator. The home team for every game was required to sign-out a defibrillator and keep in in the dugout for every game. Happy to say we never had to use it. Also happy that we never had to find out whether our few hours of training every two years would have resulted in the same result that Denny Kellington (and others) effected.

My hope is that a portion of the 7 million dollars in the Chasing M's GoFundMe is spent equipping Damar's community with AED's and funding training for coaches/parents. And perhaps someone on TBD whose community hasn't made a similar investment/commitment does the same.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

This is a great idea.  AED's work extremely well and are relatively easy to use.  Basic CPR courses are available, also relatively easy and can save lives.  We've all just witnessed what bringing back a life can mean.  It's worth your time.  My first night as an intern,  I was assigned to the ICU.  Didn't save any lives that night but didn't lose any with the abundant help of experienced ICU nurses.  As residents, we carried the "Supercall" beeper (big red "S" on the beeper) which meant the one carrying it ran all the codes in the hospital.  Every beep on that thing was controlled panic and I can still visualize many, both successful and not.  But we did it as well as we could and it made us better docs and saved some lives. Everyone can do CPR. Please consider going to a course.  They're run by the American Heart Association and they want you to succeed.  It's how to save a life.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Does the Red Cross offer CPR training? I'm going to get my certification in it.

The AHA writes the curriculum and the tests (they will help you pass):  https://ahainstructornetwork.americanheart.org/AHAECC/classConnector.jsp?pid=ahaecc.classconnector.home

edit:  they DO!:  https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/cpr.  I've always certified and recertified (every 2 years- protocols change) thru the AHA.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

This is a great idea.  AED's work extremely well and are relatively easy to use.  Basic CPR courses are available, also relatively easy and can save lives.  We've all just witnessed what bringing back a life can mean.  It's worth your time.  My first night as an intern,  I was assigned to the ICU.  Didn't save any lives that night but didn't lose any with the abundant help of experienced ICU nurses.  As residents, we carried the "Supercall" beeper (big red "S" on the beeper) which meant the one carrying it ran all the codes in the hospital.  Every beep on that thing was controlled panic and I can still visualize many, both successful and not.  But we did it as well as we could and it made us better docs. Everyone can do CPR. Please consider going to a course.  They're run by the American Heart Association and they want you to succeed.  It's how to save a life.

I took the training every two years and to be honest every year would have been better. The AED's were straight forward, but applying CPR to someone effectively the first time always felt like a reach to me. But at least I had some idea what to do if the need arose.  When they mentioned CPR on Monday night I was horrified as I had a better idea what was going on than if I hadn't ever had training. Even relatively simple stuff like demanding someone call 911 and letting me know they did so was a lesson that always stuck with me.

And as I mentioned the effort in my community was spear-headed by parents who lost their son. They would show up  and participate in the training and it really hit home.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I took the training every two years and to be honest every year would have been better. The AED's were straight forward, but applying CPR to someone effectively the first time always felt like a reach to me. But at least I had some idea what to do if the need arose.  When they mentioned CPR on Monday night I was horrified as I had a better idea what was going on than if I hadn't ever had training. Even relatively simple stuff like demanding someone call 911 and letting me know they did so was a lesson that always stuck with me.

And as I mentioned the effort in my community was spear-headed by parents who lost their son. They would show up  and participate in the training and it really hit home.

It's amazing what will come back when it's needed.   suspect that was the reason for the "S" on the beeper:  you can do this, it's on you.  Even if not perfect, mediocre CPR is much better than watching helplessly.  We were taught to take our own pulse at the code, meaning calm down and get under control.  Good advice.`

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

It's amazing what will come back when it's needed.   suspect that was the reason for the "S" on the beeper:  you can do this, it's on you.  Even if not perfect, mediocre CPR is much better than watching helplessly.  We were taught to take our own pulse at the code, meaning calm down and get under control.  Good advice.`

A close friend - who has no medical background - revived a woman using CPR many years ago.  Had to be his only attempt at CPR.

And in case anyone else is lurking I'll share another lesson for the layman from my minimalist training that's non-CPR related. If you're having dinner at a restaurant or at home and someone gets up and walks away unexpectedly - follow them! One of the first reactions of someone that is choking is to walk away so they don't make a scene - no sh!t my wife did this at home last weekend and I followed her to the other room. She was fine, just something that 'went down the wrong way', not a true choking incident and didn't need any help but her instinct to not make a scene was predicted by training.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think CPR is every year? Standard First Aid is 3. 

Through the years CPR has changed so much... Used to be so technical, endless practice on "Resusci Anne".. Now it's basically just get compressions and air in and hope for the AED... 

All new cars should have AEDs in trunk,  etc...

from red cross:  

CPR Renewal & Recertification

"CPR recertification courses allow you to refresh your memory, renew your skills and stay up to date on the latest techniques. Designed for those whose credentials are still valid but near expiration, our abbreviated CPR renewal courses take less time than our standard CPR classes, and allow you to maintain certification for an additional two years."  different organizations or states could req more.  Still using Annie..Advanced CPR is quite demanding...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Please someone tell me if I am wrong. But I remember being told as a general rule the beat compressions are the same as the beat of the Queen song

"Another one bites the Dust" It is pretty rapid steady pace. 

I need a refresher course. My last one was for being a Girl scouts leader decades ago. 

HA! I found this. Great!

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, muppy said:

Please someone tell me if I am wrong. But I remember being told as a general rule the beat compressions are the same as the beat of the Queen song

"Another one bites the Dust" It is pretty rapid steady pace. 

I need a refresher course. My last one was for being a Girl scouts leader decades ago. 

HA! I found this. Great!

When I took the course they suggested the Bee Gees Stayin Alive :)

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Agreed, but lyrically Bee Gees is probably a better choice :) 

I dunno man I think we're gonna have to throw down on this one. My Queen to your BeeGees  BOOM I'll squash your song like a bug just sayin

lmao

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

I dunno man I think we're gonna have to throw down on this one. My Queen to your BeeGees  BOOM I'll squash your song like a bug just sayin

lmao

Just to be clear Queen > Bee Gees

But if I ever have to revive someone 'Another One Bites The Dust'  < 'Stayin Alive'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

But if I ever have to revive someone 'Another One Bites The Dust'  < 'Stayin Alive'

Also not a disco fan, but I'd also go with Stayin' Alive for two reasons. One, already mentioned, is that the lyrics are more appropriate. The other, on a more practical note, is that you don't need to count to 30. If you start with the "Ah, ah, ah, ah" part and continue through the "Stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiive" part, it's 32 beats exactly - close enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Also not a disco fan, but I'd also go with Stayin' Alive for two reasons. One, already mentioned, is that the lyrics are more appropriate. The other, on a more practical note, is that you don't need to count to 30. If you start with the "Ah, ah, ah, ah" part and continue through the "Stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiive" part, it's 32 beats exactly - close enough.

I think "Start Me Up," is about the same tempo and has the most appropriate lyrics!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

Whenever I walk into a restaurant, arena, stadium, school, mall or any residence, the first thing I do is identify the AED locations and add them to my logs for future consideration.

Note to self:  If @Gugny visits my home, I need to invest in an AED. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.