Offseason rule changes: Will Damar's injury result in changes?

BringBackFergy

This was a freak injury that couldn't have realistically been avoided.  

The league has done a lot to try to protect players from head injuries.  Allowing the QB to throw the ball away, for example, protects him from taking a big hit outside the pocket.  That's good.  And it makes sense, because football is obviously a sport that introduces players to a high risk of concussions.  

But there's nothing you can really do to prevent an incredibly rare cardiac event caused by a tackle.  That's unavoidable and I don't see how you mitigate it.    

• Like (+1) 1

I think you’ll see the shoulder pad manufacturers change their designs.  

shoulder pads have all the protection on the top of the shoulder.  But with the new tackling form and keeping your head up, the impact of the hit is through the chest and front of the shoulder and bicep.  There isn’t much padding there.  I bet there will be more now 

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I haven't read through four pages of responses (nor will I), but nobody evens knows what happened to this guy yet, and people are calling for changes to the equipment? Ya gotta love the internet! 

Who's asking for/demanding changes to equipment? Every post in this thread has considered the injury/event and asked if there will be any changes. I'm not advocating any rule changes or equipment modifications, but wouldn't be surprised if they discuss it in their off-season meetings.  

I doubt they change the rule but it kinda makes you wonder. They dont want you going high to the head due to concussions. They dont want you going to low due to torn acls and leg breaks. So NFL teaches you to hit chest... and middle body.... and it almost killed someone. Really makes you wonder... NFL rules painted themselves into a corner.

I think your title question has merit, but the contents of your post completely miss the mark.

There was nothing wrong with the Hamlin hit (a hit HE delivered). No rule change can prevent that.

However, there will likely be rules added to assist in the scenario we find ourselves in now - what to do in the case of a suspended/cancelled game. There are guidelines in place now, but they're very vague & basically just amount to "commish will figure it out!"

I believe far more wording will be put into place to outline an orderly solution to the issue. Instead of fans & the media throwing out options & guessing what will happen, the NFL & NFLPA will set a strict outline to follow, with perhaps even an additional BYE be agreed to, in the case that games need to be rescheduled.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:00 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Tragic event. Of the 100's of thousands of plays that occur each season for 50 years, it was bound to happen.  Continuing to keep Damar and his family in my prayers and thoughts as many have done throughout the WORLD.

Stay strong #3!! 

No as doctors have stated this type of injury is unusual since players were pads and other protective equipment despite NFLPA (remember objections to thigh pads since they may impact statistics hence bonuses; you would think NFLPA gets paid by commission like agents) so no rule change needed although there may be a seminar for doctors and medical personal on prepareness and rules about what can cause games to be suspended.

They won’t change anything because basically the same thing could have happened to McKenzie if Josh Allen hits him with a hard pass in the Sternum at the exact right angle at the 30 millisecond wrong time. It’s just a one in a million thing. It doesn’t matter what padding he has. 

30 minutes ago, Locomark said:

They won’t change anything because basically the same thing could have happened to McKenzie if Josh Allen hits him with a hard pass in the Sternum at the exact right angle at the 30 millisecond wrong time. It’s just a one in a million thing. It doesn’t matter what padding he has. 

Not in the rules, but I think we should always be exploring new and better ways to protect a football players body IMO. The games changed over the years. The way players tackle has changed.  Happens once, it can happen again.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.