Bills Offseason Personnel Needs

Tolstoy

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like this idea better. The first 3 or 4 rds on offense. I like the safety from UB, Fuqua. He has nice size and rangy. Maybe steal him late in the draft. 

This is where I am, 1st 4 picks OL and WR, 5th a safety.  Then maybe rb safety again.  Enough with the Defense already

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My totally uneducated guess:

Guys who stay:

Edmunds - gets paid, hopefully reasonable

Singletary - stays on reasonable deal

Jackson - whatever tender he qualifies for, unless its little too much, I am lost in this

one of Phillips/Lawson who is ready to take small dea again, probably Lawson

Boettger - vet min again

Martin - solid punter, let's keep him for vet min if possible

Gone:

Poyer - can't pay him

Saffold - unless stays for vet min

Hines - no chance he is kept for $5/y and there are no dead money

possibly Morse, if he decides to retire

From others less relevant we keep some and let some go (shocker, I know).

My wild guess/hope: Davis gets traded for an early 3rd. I like Davis much more than TBD average and I do think he is solid WR2 but he will not get 2nd contract here so I'd trade him now when the value is higher with 1 year left on his rookie deal. If we can get 2nd I'd do it immediately but a 3rd will do. 

I'd keep Oliver and let him play on 5th year option if he doesn't accept reasonable deal. If he somehow shows any sign of potential hold-out I'd trade him. I guess he fetches a 2nd so draft his replacement there.

Draft:

RD1 - WR/OT

RD2 - WR/OT

RD3 (Davis trade) - OG/WR

RD3 - S or whatever is the biggest need/BPA in defense

RD4 - OG/WR

RD5, RD5, RD6 - LB, DL, WR, TE, whatever

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We definitely can’t ignore WR as a priority anymore. No more mid to late rounders that are inactive on game days or see no reps. Let’s get a first rounder and see where he takes us. Give Diggs an elite running mate that can drive defenses crazy. 

Davis is on the last year of his rookie deal next year and hasn’t shown enough consistency to warrant belief he’s the guy at WR2. Even if he did, how can we pay both him and Diggs?  Something has to give. My guess is they try to find WR2 in the draft this year and let Davis and the rookie compete. Imo, this was a major oversight by Beane this past year when it seems Davis was handed the WR2 job without competition. This regime preaches competition but didn’t make Davis earn it in camp. Keep the cupboard full. This is our offensive identity. 

Obviously, oline is a HUGE need this off-season. It simply can’t be ignored anymore. No more patching it together and hoping Allen can bail them out. Time to put a brick wall in front of the franchise and see him become even better. 

WR1. - Can play WR2 @ first (need to upgrade from Davis). Diggs will be 30 next year, he can eventually move to WR2 when new guy goes to WR1. Like Jefferson & Theilen.

Wonder if Michael Pittman would be available in a trade & if it would be worth the compensation (maybe a 1st)? He's pretty good w/ bad QB play.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

My wild guess/hope: Davis gets traded for an early 3rd. I like Davis much more than TBD average and I do think he is solid WR2 but he will not get 2nd contract here so I'd trade him now when the value is higher with 1 year left on his rookie deal. If we can get 2nd I'd do it immediately but a 3rd will do.

So this is actually my hope as well. I'm not anti Davis at all, but like you said does he get a large contract from the bills? I doubt they will want to or be able to financially, but some team will pay him big money. And I think a late second is completely possible with the way we saw the wr market go this year. 

But there lies the issue of replacing your #2 wr, do you go all in on Shakir and hope he takes a leap? Bills can't afford to sign a big name FA. Do you trade up into the first for a premium WR and hope he can come out day 1 and be they guy? Do you stay put and hope a guy falls to you at the end of the 1st? Beane will have his work cutout.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2022 at 6:27 AM, SCBills said:

Me, personally .. 

Poyer - Gone

Singletary - Gone

Saffold - Gone

Phillips - Gone

*Poyer likely gets paid, but the other three could be welcomed back on VERY team friendly deals. 

Edmunds - Back (gets paid)

Shaq - Back (team friendly)

Marlowe - Back (vet deal)

Klein - Back (vet deal)

Oliver - Trade for a 2nd

RD1 - WR

RD2 - OL

RD2 - OL

RD3 - S/DT

RD4 - DT/S

RD5 - RB

I doubt we trade Ed Oliver, he’s very good, but he’s not elite .. and I don’t see the point of paying big money to a very good DT long term. 

The price has to be right for Oliver. A Bills huge contract would be a mistake. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.