Are you competitive with holiday themed office/family games?

Another Fan

At my office later in the week we do the usual grab bag gifts with the staff.  Except we are able to steal the gifts up to three times if somebody winds up with something they don't want.  

In my family my uncle usually puts together Christmas themed games to try and make things more festive.  Like for example write down everything you can think of related to Christmas in 5 minutes... the winner gets a prize.

If you are forced to participate in these, do you:

A) Find yourself very competitive 

B) Care a little but don't get stressed over it

C) Absolutely just flat out could care less or detest it with every fiber of your being and cant wait to be done

I kind of start out close to choice C but I do manage to have some fun with it as it goes along.  But don't get worked up.  Some of my co-workers/family members really do!  

We had a holiday party at friend’s last Friday. They played a game where you have to unravel a soccer ball size clump of cling wrap. There is a rushed timing aspect, and you can win prizes along the way. Stuff I don’t want falls out of the Saran Wrap layer by layer. You have to find the edge and unwrap, you can’t tear it. I know, sounds odd. I hate games like that. I just don’t care, but we managed to have a very good time with a lot of laughing. 

It was more about the people we were with. 

EDIT: Tonight my son was here for dinner and they both put together a cling wrap ball to use when my BIL, his wife and 3  daughters come for a Holiday Day Trip on Friday. I don’t look forward to the game, it’s not a meaningful competition in ANY WAY, but I look forward to laughing with them. It’s a win/win, as my wife had a blast with our son making this giant ball of nothing very good. 😂 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Another Fan said:

C) Absolutely just flat out could care less or detest it with every fiber of your being and cant wait to be done

When it comes to games in general - we sometimes play board games at our house - then I'm pretty much a B. I try to win but I don't stress about it.

When it comes to games forced upon me via an office party or a family gathering, then I'm a C all the way.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Another Fan said:

At my office later in the week we do the usual grab bag gifts with the staff.  Except we are able to steal the gifts up to three times if somebody winds up with something they don't want.  

In my family my uncle usually puts together Christmas themed games to try and make things more festive.  Like for example write down everything you can think of related to Christmas in 5 minutes... the winner gets a prize.

I kind of start out close to choice C but I do manage to have some fun with it as it goes along.  But don't get worked up.  Some of my co-workers/family members really do!  

C) *couldn't care less*

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, teef said:

oh god...christmas games sound terrible.  we go out for dinner and drinks.  we staff gets bonuses, they exchange gifts, and we all go home.  no shenanigans.  

For many years, the people in my department simply went out to lunch together. We'd all chip in for a gift for the administrative assistant, but no real gift exchange. At some point, someone (not me) decided that a white elephant exchange was a good idea, so we did that, but it was pretty low-key and we set a $15 cap on the value of the gift.

• Like (+1) 2

We play this game at my mother in law’s every Christmas where she wraps up like 25 presents.  Most of them are cheap dollar store things, some are gag gifts like a roll of toilet paper or one rubber glove, but there are always some good gifts that they try to have the kids pick.

I always find out which ones the good ones are and take them to piss everyone off.  It’s funny to me.  I always end up giving them to the kids, but it’s fun to frustrate everyone for a little while. 😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.