Devin Singletary not scoring a TD with 34 seconds left

chongli

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Hey, just curious. 
after seeing missed 35 and 38 yd kicks this week, is everyone absolutely  sure that not taking a sure TD was the right move?

My opinion is that it was a close decision, but that McD should have taken the TD.  FG, especially in bad weather, might be 90+%, but it’s never 100%

We kicked from the 3 yd line not the 20, so still not a close decision. Literally a 1% of OT if we attempt field goal, vs chance of EP miss and kick off return and speed of Waddle and Hill on 4 or 5 plays. I understand that comeback chance is 5% for Fish but that is and 80% improvement. 

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

We kicked from the 3 yd line not the 20, so still not a close decision. Literally a 1% of OT if we attempt field goal, vs chance of EP miss and kick off return and speed of Waddle and Hill on 4 or 5 plays. I understand that comeback chance is 5% for Fish but that is and 80% improvement. 

Kick was from the 15 yd line so it was 25 yd not 20. 

where did your figure of 1% come from?  Is this based on any facts or simply made up!

48 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Hey, just curious. 
after seeing missed 35 and 38 yd kicks this week, is everyone absolutely  sure that not taking a sure TD was the right move?

Yes, I'm still sure.  Yesterday's games were strongly affected by the weather across the country.  Comparing that to the relatively pleasant conditions we faced in this game is apples/oranges.

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Kick was from the 15 yd line so it was 25 yd not 20. 

where did your figure of 1% come from?  Is this based on any facts or simply made up!

I thought we had kicked from 3 yd line, which is old EP, and that was 99+% which is why it was moved back, did look it up and it was from 7, so 24 yard kick. I though did some more looking and here is 2014-2018 numbers. https://www.footballperspective.com/nfl-field-goal-rates-from-2014-to-2018/

Still above 98%. The 5% was based on ESPN gamecast at the time. Limiting dynamic players abilities to make great plays is part of winning in NFL, and Hill and Waddle are dynamic 

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Hey, just curious. 

My opinion is that it was a close decision, but that McD should have taken the TD.  FG, especially in bad weather, might be 90+%, but it’s never 100%

Did the Bills win the game?

21 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Hey, just curious. 

It was still 100% the right decision as there was almost no wind - which is what caused the misses.  🤦‍♂️

If you play the what if game - did you see Miami score on a 1 play 84 yard drive or the 3 play 77 yard drive this week?  

The Bills 100% made the right decision and controlled the outcome - any argument for scoring the TD is just wrong.  

Every percentage and finding shows that the chances of a Bills victory were higher by Devin going down.  The chance of a Dolphin victory was enhanced by Devin scoring.

Miami’s quick scoring offense added to that by scoring on 20% of their drives (2 out of 10) on long drives of 3 plays or less for TDs giving them 12 long, quick drives on the year and multiple versus Buffalo - which on the season pushes their % of long, quick scoring drives to nearly 9% - still much higher than the 1 -2% missed FG % in history.

So - No at this point very few - maybe only you - are left rooting for the Bills to make a play to reduce their chances of winning.  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Rochesterfan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.