Florida Property Insurance Global Warming

Tiberius

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

1.  Our income taxes may be higher but I'll compare our property taxes to NY's (and other states) and I imagine between the two we're lower overall.

2.  I use my Ralph's (Kroger) rewards card for my gas.  I get $.10 off per gallon for every $100 I spend.  I've gotten as much as $.70 off a gallon. Ralph's just opened a fueling station by our store.  It is $4.19 a gallon and with our rewards we're paying below $3 a gallon.

3.  Homeless is an issue everywhere.  It's horrible in places like SF and LA.  We just retired to the Palm Springs area and though there are homeless here it's nowhere near as bad as LA.  And with LA ***** with the Covid mandates I refuse to go there anyway. 

4.  CA has wonderful weather and incredible geography.  Where else can you ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon.  I've been here for 40 years and can't think of anyplace I'd rather live. 

They don't pay you for the damage of your home.  They pay you what it would cost to rebuild.  Often a big difference.  And after living in FL or CA who the ***** would want to move back to Buffalo???

Again, struggling to keep up here. I assume you’re suggesting something specific to Florida, and that’s not my understanding.  On a partial loss, the estimate would be for damage to the home.  On a total loss, your suggesting implies that if the home was not rebuilt (or replaced with the one in WNY in Frank’s situation), $0 is paid for the structure?  

As for why someone would want to move back, I’d suggest several reasons.  They prefer WNY over Cali/Fla.  Attitudes.  People.  Tax. 4 seasons.  Family.  

While our plan is to try and spend 6 mos+ in Fla and out of NY (tax and weather related), proximity of family (children, parents and siblings) is the most important thing for us.  If faced with a choice, less warmth, more tax, and more NYS would carry the day.  If on the other hand, we can get our children to make a break…

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Again, struggling to keep up here. I assume you’re suggesting something specific to Florida, and that’s not my understanding.  On a partial loss, the estimate would be for damage to the home.  On a total loss, your suggesting implies that if the home was not rebuilt (or replaced with the one in WNY in Frank’s situation), $0 is paid for the structure?  

As for why someone would want to move back, I’d suggest several reasons.  They prefer WNY over Cali/Fla.  Attitudes.  People.  Tax. 4 seasons.  Family.  

While our plan is to try and spend 6 mos+ in Fla and out of NY (tax and weather related), proximity of family (children, parents and siblings) is the most important thing for us.  If faced with a choice, less warmth, more tax, and more NYS would carry the day.  If on the other hand, we can get our children to make a break…

It's my understanding if the home is a total loss they would pay to rebuild.  Not sure if they would just cut you a check and say "have fun!"

Regarding why someone would want to move back?

1.  Attitudes?  The attitudes here in the CA desert are pretty laid back.  High concentration of Latinos who are fantastic people and conservatives.

2. People.  We have people here too. 

3. Taxes.  Yes our income taxes are higher.  For example on an income of $100k the taxes in CA would be about $6,500 vs $5,275.  So about $100 per month more.  However property taxes is where the big difference is.  Take a house assessed at $700k.  In NY (Erie County) the annual taxes would be about $17,000 and here in CA (Riverside County) $10,000.  A difference of $580 a month.  Erie county sales taxes are 8.75% vs 7.75%.  One percent of most everything you purchase over a year really adds up. So CA taxes being high compared to NY is a myth.  I'm not even going to look at a no income state tax like FL has

4. Season.  Just like people, we have seasons here too.  For instance we are almost to winter. It was 34 degrees when I got up.  In the summer it's usually around 90-100 when I wake up.  We just don't have to deal with the snow.  And damn when that ***** begins to melt and turn dirty? Uuuuuugly. 

5.  Family.  I think my family prefers me 3,000 miles away.  I always joke I would have moved further but the ocean got in the way.

Now if I sold my $700k home here in CA and bought something for $700k in NY I'd get a lot of house.  But again it comes with all the downsides and I don't need a lot of house.  

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

It's my understanding if the home is a total loss they would pay to rebuild.  Not sure if they would just cut you a check and say "have fun!"

Regarding why someone would want to move back?

1.  Attitudes?  The attitudes here in the CA desert are pretty laid back.  High concentration of Latinos who are fantastic people and conservatives.

2. People.  We have people here too. 

3. Taxes.  Yes our income taxes are higher.  For example on an income of $100k the taxes in CA would be about $6,500 vs $5,275.  So about $100 per month more.  However property taxes is where the big difference is.  Take a house assessed at $700k.  In NY (Erie County) the annual taxes would be about $17,000 and here in CA (Riverside County) $10,000.  A difference of $580 a month.  Erie county sales taxes are 8.75% vs 7.75%.  One percent of most everything you purchase over a year really adds up. So CA taxes being high compared to NY is a myth.  I'm not even going to look at a no income state tax like FL has

4. Season.  Just like people, we have seasons here too.  For instance we are almost to winter. It was 34 degrees when I got up.  In the summer it's usually around 90-100 when I wake up.  We just don't have to deal with the snow.  And damn when that ***** begins to melt and turn dirty? Uuuuuugly. 

5.  Family.  I think my family prefers me 3,000 miles away.  I always joke I would have moved further but the ocean got in the way.

Now if I sold my $700k home here in CA and bought something for $700k in NY I'd get a lot of house.  But again it comes with all the downsides and I don't need a lot of house.  

I just went through the purchase of insurance in Florida a few months back— my understanding was that you get paid a depreciated amount up front, with mortgage company on if applicable.  If you build back or replace you get the balance.  If not you walk with check in hand.  That’s why I asked Frankish. 

I did a little research on this and think I’m correct, but I was just looking for feedback.  Hopefully I never find out and have a call to make on Monday. 

As for living in Cali-I admit to thinking “What’s the big deal?” before going there (Los  Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego at various times), and when I got there, I got it.  Cool place.  Nice people. I drove down the the Ventura Highway, in the sunshine, and I felt I could touch the clouds.  I get all that and loved the short time I was there.  

One thing I try to do is avoid transferring my thoughts and feelings on others.  I love my children and like being around them, so far they feel the same.  I love my family and my in-laws, I’m very lucky and know that.  In my case, what you outlined that makes it cool for you doesn’t move the needle for me, but I understand it does for you.  I was just answering the question “Why would people move from Cali/Fla back to Buffalo”.  Those were the reasons that came to mind.  

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I just went through the purchase of insurance in Florida a few months back— my understanding was that you get paid a depreciated amount up front, with mortgage company on if applicable.  If you build back or replace you get the balance.  If not you walk with check in hand.  That’s why I asked Frankish. 

I did a little research on this and think I’m correct, but I was just looking for feedback.  Hopefully I never find out and have a call to make on Monday. 

As for living in Cali-I admit to thinking “What’s the big deal?” before going there (Los  Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego at various times), and when I got there, I got it.  Cool place.  Nice people. I drove down the the Ventura Highway, in the sunshine, and I felt I could touch the clouds.  I get all that and loved the short time I was there.  

One thing I try to do is avoid transferring my thoughts and feelings on others.  I love my children and like being around them, so far they feel the same.  I love my family and my in-laws, I’m very lucky and know that.  In my case, what you outlined that makes it cool for you doesn’t move the needle for me, but I understand it does for you.  I was just answering the question “Why would people move from Cali/Fla back to Buffalo”.  Those were the reasons that came to mind.  

Oh I love my family too.  I try to visit at least once a year but usually around August for my mom's birthday.  I'll be there in a couple weeks to ski.  Have not been back in the winter to ski since my dad passed in 2018.  He was a fixture on the slopes at Holiday Valley for probably 60 years.  He was a ski instructor there for 35 years or so.  I told my brother this will be the first time in over 50 years I'll have to pay for my lift ticket.  When I dad taught I got a free season's pass and after he quit teaching he'd get me a lift ticket when I visited.  My brother said "no worries...I have connections."  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

1.  Our income taxes may be higher but I'll compare our property taxes to NY's (and other states) and I imagine between the two we're lower overall.

2.  I use my Ralph's (Kroger) rewards card for my gas.  I get $.10 off per gallon for every $100 I spend.  I've gotten as much as $.70 off a gallon. Ralph's just opened a fueling station by our store.  It is $4.19 a gallon and with our rewards we're paying below $3 a gallon.

3.  Homeless is an issue everywhere.  It's horrible in places like SF and LA.  We just retired to the Palm Springs area and though there are homeless here it's nowhere near as bad as LA.  And with LA ***** with the Covid mandates I refuse to go there anyway. 

4.  CA has wonderful weather and incredible geography.  Where else can you ski in the morning and surf in the afternoon.  I've been here for 40 years and can't think of anyplace I'd rather live. 

Well 1 if your comparing anything as far as monies that the state gov't charges you to live to NY's and think that's a plus okay . I feel NY is just as bad as Cali in a lot of ways including the way it's run mostly into the ground . That's why i move at a young age 1st Fl. then Nashville .

Then most of the tax structure is used in NYC which is a huge reason why it took Buffalo so long to get a new stadium when NYC has had 3 facilities built for sports teams & 1 in Jersey since the Bills was built in 73 .

Then it's pretty bad when you need to depend on any one company or person to have to rely on them to come through to make a necessity such as gas more affordable yet still higher than a lot of places in the country in order to have a little more money in your pocket . Cover mandates seem to go with those that are drinking the kool-aid .

Its good that you are happy with your move & that is most of the battle if you are happy but given the way the state is run & it's Gov't, the over population, homelessness, high gas, grocery, and in general prices across the board, Earth quakes, fires, (which cause higher insurance prices) if being able to go skiing in the morning & surfing in the afternoon & the weather makes up for all the other that i mentioned - God Bless you brother .

But here in the south they have a saying "If your gonna be dum you got to be tough" I have personally been told that i was pretty tough - but i'll stick my red neck dam yankee ass here in Tenn. 

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And after living in FL or CA who the ***** would want to move back to Buffalo???

Me for the summer months . Lets just say because of the people, the food and it is beautiful there the Western NY area is pretty awesome . Much slower pace & for the most part just more genuine people it seems . The gov't is much better in FL. than the other 2 which is a plus ! 

I've lived in Fl. for a very long time 25 yrs & have been to Cali many times over the years & for the most part each state is filled with people that have moved there & although there are SOME good people there are a lot of stuck up snobs that think they are better than most others but i guess that can be most anywhere you go .

• 5 months later...

WOW!!! 

TALLAHASSEE With the state-backed Citizens Property Insurance Corp. continuing to see massive growth, regulators late last week took up a proposal that would lead to double-digit rate increases for Citizens customers across Florida. The proposed increases would vary based on factors such as types of policies. But Brian Donovan, the chief actuary for Citizens, said during a hearing held by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation that Citizens is recommending 12% increases for all homes that are primary residences and have what are known as multiperil policies — the most-common type of coverage. Increases could be dramatically higher for homes that are not primary residences. A new state law allows increases up to 50% for those properties.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article276353696.html#storylink=cpy

• Eyeroll 1

CALIFORNIA
Will home prices increase after 2 insurance companies pull out of California?

New California homeowners could encounter roadblocks when looking for home insurance after news broke that Allstate and State Farm will be pulling out of the California home insurance market.

“We paused new homeowners, condo and commercial insurance policies in California last year so we can continue to protect current customers,” a company representative from Allstate told KTLA. “The cost to insure new home customers in California is far higher than the price they would pay for policies due to wildfires, higher costs for repairing homes, and higher reinsurance premiums.”

https://ktla.com/news/california/will-home-prices-increase-after-2-insurance-companies-pull-out-of-california/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ALF said:

CALIFORNIA

New California homeowners could encounter roadblocks when looking for home insurance after news broke that Allstate and State Farm will be pulling out of the California home insurance market.

“We paused new homeowners, condo and commercial insurance policies in California last year so we can continue to protect current customers,” a company representative from Allstate told KTLA. “The cost to insure new home customers in California is far higher than the price they would pay for policies due to wildfires, higher costs for repairing homes, and higher reinsurance premiums.”

https://ktla.com/news/california/will-home-prices-increase-after-2-insurance-companies-pull-out-of-california/

MMGW 

• Dislike 1

47 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

WOW!!! 

TALLAHASSEE With the state-backed Citizens Property Insurance Corp. continuing to see massive growth, regulators late last week took up a proposal that would lead to double-digit rate increases for Citizens customers across Florida. The proposed increases would vary based on factors such as types of policies. But Brian Donovan, the chief actuary for Citizens, said during a hearing held by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation that Citizens is recommending 12% increases for all homes that are primary residences and have what are known as multiperil policies — the most-common type of coverage. Increases could be dramatically higher for homes that are not primary residences. A new state law allows increases up to 50% for those properties.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article276353696.html#storylink=cpy

John Cooper doesn't understand the Florida Insurance market at all except the cost, which our politicians have screwed up for a decade because the Dems and bought by lawyer Republicans kept just enough power to make sure no intelligent changes could be made. There are several "roofing" companies in FL who are going out of business due to the law change because their entire profit margin came from the lawsuits. The new law will help greatly in the long run but currently the cost of materials is extremely high and the unethical lawsuits didn't magically stop that had already been filed. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ALF said:

CALIFORNIA

we didn’t expect inflation to impact insurers too?  Rebuild and repair costs have skyrocketed, money is more expensive and underwriting is more expensive. Of course insurance has to go up too. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

John Cooper doesn't understand the Florida Insurance market at all except the cost, which our politicians have screwed up for a decade because the Dems and bought by lawyer Republicans kept just enough power to make sure no intelligent changes could be made. There are several "roofing" companies in FL who are going out of business due to the law change because their entire profit margin came from the lawsuits. The new law will help greatly in the long run but currently the cost of materials is extremely high and the unethical lawsuits didn't magically stop that had already been filed. 

He understands that the costs rising like crazy while DeSantis is running around harassing gay people 

Just now, Tiberius said:

He understands that the costs rising like crazy while DeSantis is running around harassing gay people 

The increasing cost is tied to raising cost of materials, cause the inflation was not transitory, and tort reform, which should have been handled years ago. But your question is disturbing in that you are clearly insinuating that gay people have to discuss their sex lives with children, and I don't think that is true. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

The increasing cost is tied to raising cost of materials, cause the inflation was not transitory, and tort reform, which should have been handled years ago. But your question is disturbing in that you are clearly insinuating that gay people have to discuss their sex lives with children, and I don't think that is true. 

Costs are going up everywhere, but Florida has the highest insurace costs of almost any state and it's just getting worse. This is a red state, and has been for awhile, is DeSantis just not competent enough to deal with this? Too busy attacking Disney? 

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Costs are going up everywhere, but Florida has the highest insurace costs of almost any state and it's just getting worse. This is a red state, and has been for awhile, is DeSantis just not competent enough to deal with this? Too busy attacking Disney? 

The basis of all insurance business models is risk management.  The premium costs and insurer's decisions to sell policies in Florida have everything to do with the risk profile of the market and very little to do with the person holding the governor's office.  I expect you can get hurricane insurance in Buffalo a 100x cheaper than you can in Tampa and that has everything to do with probability and impact of loss in that specific market.  Its got nothing to do with Kathy Hochul being the governor or blue state politics. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Homeowners Insurance Rates by State for 2023 | Bankrate

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-cost-of-homeowners-insurance

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The basis of all insurance business models is risk management.  The premium costs and insurer's decisions to sell policies in Florida have everything to do with the risk profile of the market and very little to do with the person holding the governor's office.  I expect you can get hurricane insurance in Buffalo a 100x cheaper than you can in Tampa and that has everything to do with probability and impact of loss in that specific market.  Its got nothing to do with Kathy Hochul being the governor or blue state politics. 

Yup, global warming is having an effect 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

So the president can’t address dollar inflation with policy but Florida’s governor can? 

I suppose Newsome has some ideas?  

Double standard 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So the president can’t address dollar inflation with policy but Florida’s governor can? 

I suppose Newsome has some ideas?  

Double standard 

A vote for DeSantis means a vote for ruinous  insurance costs in the US! 

He will ruin America! 

what a mess! 

• Haha (+1) 2