Herm Edwards

I was just wondering what fellow Bills fans thought of the guy? A friend of mine who was a Jets fan told me last year that he would have traded Edwards for Gregg Williams in a heartbeat. I thought it was insane statement (my friend also thought the Bills gave up too soon on Todd Collins, but that's a whole other issue :wacko: ). The Jets are constantly in the playoff hunt, and on paper many years, their talent might rank 3rd or 4th in the division. Now I don't think he is an great Xs and Os type of coach, but he is a leader who players respect. As a Bills fan, I have great respect for him. My hope is that Mularkey can become a similar type of coach. Any thoughts?

I was just wondering what fellow Bills fans thought of the guy?  A friend of mine who was a Jets fan told me last year that he would have traded Edwards for Gregg Williams in a heartbeat.  I thought it was insane statement (my friend also thought the Bills gave up too soon on Todd Collins, but that's a whole other issue  :wacko: ).  The Jets are constantly in the playoff hunt, and on paper many years, their talent might rank 3rd or 4th in the division.  Now I don't think he is an great Xs and Os type of coach, but he is a leader who players respect.  As a Bills fan, I have great respect for him.  My hope is that Mularkey can become a similar type of coach.  Any thoughts?

340465[/snapback]

To me Edwards is more of a firey in your face type coach ala Bill Cowher whereas I see Mularkey as a more patient textbook teaching type in the Marv Levy mold. Both types can suceed but I think Edwards might be on a shorter lease with the Jets as there was talk he was gone after last season as think he and management don't see things eye to eye.

I was just wondering what fellow Bills fans thought of the guy?  A friend of mine who was a Jets fan told me last year that he would have traded Edwards for Gregg Williams in a heartbeat.  I thought it was insane statement (my friend also thought the Bills gave up too soon on Todd Collins, but that's a whole other issue  :wacko: ).  The Jets are constantly in the playoff hunt, and on paper many years, their talent might rank 3rd or 4th in the division.  Now I don't think he is an great Xs and Os type of coach, but he is a leader who players respect.  As a Bills fan, I have great respect for him.  My hope is that Mularkey can become a similar type of coach.  Any thoughts?

340465[/snapback]

I think that Edwards almost always has the Jets overacheiving. Really it is a limited team. I think the Jets would be nuts to get rid of him.

There are no more excuses for Herm and the Jets fans. They always have a bunch of excuses. No more Hackett to blame. Kicker is taken care of. Now I almost expect the Jets to win big. After all, Im just going by what Vinnie from Ronkokoma says when he calls WFAN in NYC.

my take? herm is great in the locker room and in front of the media, and mediocre at best on the field. the jets will never be truly great w/ him as HC. which is fine with me. i say keep him.

I think Herm is a player's coach. He gets them motivated and they overachieve for him. Probably the kind of guy you really would like outside of work. I'm thinking that he isn't a great technical coach. I know nothing of his background and history. His interviews are always good. I think he survives in NYC because he plays the media well in that town and if the media like you in NY, you are going to be OK. You have a bad relationship with the NY media and you end up like Ray Handley.

Herm has gone threw 2 coordinators. Cottrell gone, Hackett gone. Usually head coaches get one make up try with a coordinator. With GW he blew his make up try on Gilbride. I think he got it right with Donnie Henderson as the Jets have great defensive ends on the D, but not much else. Vilma was the DROY. Anyway Herm has been in the playoffs and won games in the playoffs didn't get his team to Super Bowl . I give him an A-.

I"m glad he's not our coach. I don't like his schtick. He's a good common sense coach but I don't think he's a great strategist or anything like that.

when i listen to his PCs after a loss I always wince that he's going to embarrass himself. I wouldn't want to deal with that with the bills.

There are no more excuses for Herm and the Jets fans.  They always have a bunch of excuses.  No more Hackett to blame.  Kicker is taken care of.  Now I almost expect the Jets to win big. After all, Im just going by what Vinnie from Ronkokoma says when he calls WFAN in NYC.

340489[/snapback]

Occasionally, I find stereotypes funny. You, my friend, have succeeded. :)

There are no more excuses for Herm and the Jets fans.  They always have a bunch of excuses.  No more Hackett to blame.  Kicker is taken care of.  Now I almost expect the Jets to win big. After all, Im just going by what Vinnie from Ronkokoma says when he calls WFAN in NYC.

340489[/snapback]

I think the Jets should be blaming Chad Pennington to be not able to

rise to the next level and take that team..The whole of Chads tenure

he has had Curtis Martin as his RB and he has done zilch.

I was just wondering what fellow Bills fans thought of the guy?  A friend of mine who was a Jets fan told me last year that he would have traded Edwards for Gregg Williams in a heartbeat.  I thought it was insane statement (my friend also thought the Bills gave up too soon on Todd Collins, but that's a whole other issue  :blink: ).  The Jets are constantly in the playoff hunt, and on paper many years, their talent might rank 3rd or 4th in the division.  Now I don't think he is an great Xs and Os type of coach, but he is a leader who players respect.  As a Bills fan, I have great respect for him.  My hope is that Mularkey can become a similar type of coach.  Any thoughts?

340465[/snapback]

MM will NEVER be a similar coach to Edwards, nor would I want him to.

Edwards is a rah-rah guy who the players like, but he is anything but a field techician, and can be counted upon to lose a couple of games per season with bad clock management and questionable moves.

He has been given a free pass by the NY media. He once threatened a reporter. Another time he gave the owner an untimatum of sorts while the team was losing.

He made a statement, You play ther game to win," and he was quoted like Plato. Personally, I am glad. The jests will not get to the next level with HE.

As for MM, he is a pretty cool dude. He is calm and has it together on the sidelines. I like the perfectly timed trick plays and the 4th down calls. He was a rookie last year and it showed early on, but I expect MM to iron out the kinks and be around for a long time in the NFL. :huh: