Good sports bar in Cozumel?

ArdmoreRyno

On 11/1/2022 at 9:39 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

It's one of the most popular destinations in Mexico for Americans to visit, especially divers. So I figured many here have been. If I was going to Saint Kitts, I wouldn't have bothered to ask. 

You should know by now there are only medical doctors in here when a player is injured, if you want travel advice you'll need to go on a Sabres message board.

Also check out the Red Zone.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

This is the perfect place to ask this question. 

I just don’t understand why there is any negativity here. 🤷‍♂️

I figured it would be the best place to ask. I went to the Off The Wall forum, but no one replied. Guess it's a slow page. So I asked here. Problem for us was that NFL RedZone wouldn't work in Mexico and when I would try to get NBC Sports on my phone, then plugged into the TV... I would get only Mexican sports options. But it worked out, found a good little bar with decent food to watch the game. 

But yet, not sure why there are 2-3 jerks on here. I expect that from the PPP page when talking politics, but not here. Learned my lesson. 

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

You should know by now there are only medical doctors in here when a player is injured, if you want travel advice you'll need to go on a Sabres message board.

Also check out the Red Zone.

Red Zone doesn't work outside the US. I even tried with NordVPN. All the games were 'blacked out'. 

19 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

What’s the best places to stay in Cozumel?

I wish I had an answer for that one! We stayed at this apartment/AirBnB type place that was wonderful, but it was 2-3 miles from the main area of the Island (The Centre). If you want to dive, I can give you contact information on the guy we used. He threw in the apartment as part of a package. We had 2 tanks a day, transportation, the apartment (2 rooms, 2 bath, kitchen, dining room and living room.. even a private pool) as well as our regulators, masks and fins for $350/person/per day. It was an AMAZING package! We haven't dove for 20+ years and despite being certified, we needed to have someone really help ease us back into diving. 

There are a lot of hotels and resorts off the main beach. We took a taxi (it was like $3 to get there) to that area in the evenings to eat. The island just looks so much different that what it was like in 1995.

19 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

What’s the best places to stay in Cozumel?

The cool thing about Coz is it’s relatively small and it’s and island so the drug gangs don’t have a presence there = very safe.

If you like crowds and touristy stuff there are a bunch of VRBOs in town.

We like peace and quiet so we usually do the north or south “ Hotel zones” a mile or three outside town. Taxis are everywhere and cheap ( $4-5 a ride. We budget $100 for a week and usually have $ left over.

A couple years ago we stayed in Miramar condos/nice. Last year we did  Deck 12 /amazing.

Check out Allen Chan on FB for diving. Small private dives/great guy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

For better or worse. Have gazed upon it from Playa del Carmen twice, but never ferried there.

I didn't realize you can see the mainland from the island. Next time check it out! You can dive, w/o a certification, with the guy we used. Even thought I've been certified since 1988, I had to really get a refresher. Our dive master helps people with no experience take their first dive(s) in fairly shallow waters (20-30 feet). We made it down to almost 100 on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The cool thing about Coz is it’s relatively small and it’s and island so the drug gangs don’t have a presence there = very safe.

If you like crowds and touristy stuff there are a bunch of VRBOs in town.

We like peace and quiet so we usually do the north or south “ Hotel zones” a mile or three outside town. Taxis are everywhere and cheap ( $4-5 a ride. We budget $100 for a week and usually have $ left over.

A couple years ago we stayed in Miramar condos/nice. Last year we did  Deck 12 /amazing.

Check out Allen Chan on FB for diving. Small private dives/great guy.

Here is what we stayed... you can see the location on the map (It's called Caribe Paradise and the dive master finished the place about 6 months ago so it's brand new inside). 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Caribe+Paradise/@20.4965917,-86.9554669,5691m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6c4020f87bcc6fa9!8m2!3d20.4897571!4d-86.9444687

apart2.jpg

apart1.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I didn't realize you can see the mainland from the island. Next time check it out! You can dive, w/o a certification, with the guy we used. Even thought I've been certified since 1988, I had to really get a refresher. Our dive master helps people with no experience take their first dive(s) in fairly shallow waters (20-30 feet). We made it down to almost 100 on Saturday. 

Always travel with my Canon IS 12x36 binocs. Think I need a new pair. Left them uncovered in my truck last summer. They sort of melted and are permanently tacky.

Swimming in the reefs be my main want for going there, if it’s still intact. No diving for me.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

Always travel with my Canon IS 12x36 binocs. Think I need a new pair. Left them uncovered in my truck last summer. They sort of melted and are permanently tacky.

Swimming in the reefs be my main want for going there, if it’s still intact. No diving for me.

I'll post some dive photos, videos when I get the chance. The reef is a national park now so it's protected. When I was diving at 20 years old, you could touch the reef... touch puffer fish, etc. Now you can't touch anything so the reef is growing back. Really beautiful! Got to see a nurse shark, which was AWESOME :)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I'll post some dive photos, videos when I get the chance. The reef is a national park now so it's protected. When I was diving at 20 years old, you could touch the reef... touch puffer fish, etc. Now you can't touch anything so the reef is growing back. Really beautiful! Got to see a nurse shark, which was AWESOME :)

They actually have started a rotating schedule of closing parts of the reefs to tourists for a few months at a time.

The whole Rivera Maya and Coz have changed so much since we first visited in the late 90s. Mostly not for the better. 
     There are tons of snorkeling companies to choose from and the water is insanely clear and beautiful on a calm day. Zero Hyperbole, it is one of the nicest places to dive in the world. 

3 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Here is what we stayed... you can see the location on the map (It's called Caribe Paradise and the dive master finished the place about 6 months ago so it's brand new inside). 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Caribe+Paradise/@20.4965917,-86.9554669,5691m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6c4020f87bcc6fa9!8m2!3d20.4897571!4d-86.9444687

apart2.jpg

apart1.jpg

Nice!!!!!

New build on the leading edge of the backside of town.

There is definitely a building boom going on. 

I think a post like this belongs on FB.  You would get the responses you're looking for there.  Don't forget to post what you had for breakfast (including photos of said breakfast) as well as posting about every minute of your day, including which paper you read this morning and showing off your dive gear in detail with brand names and specs! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I figured it would be the best place to ask. I went to the Off The Wall forum, but no one replied. Guess it's a slow page. So I asked here. Problem for us was that NFL RedZone wouldn't work in Mexico and when I would try to get NBC Sports on my phone, then plugged into the TV... I would get only Mexican sports options. But it worked out, found a good little bar with decent food to watch the game. 

But yet, not sure why there are 2-3 jerks on here. I expect that from the PPP page when talking politics, but not here. Learned my lesson. 

Red Zone doesn't work outside the US. I even tried with NordVPN. All the games were 'blacked out'. 

OTW isn't slow.  You just need to understand that for most WNYers the only vacation destinations they are aware of is Florida.  So going anywhere other than Daytona Beach means you're some kind of elitist snob.  They feel the same about anyone wearing a shirt with a collar so you just gotta embrace it.  

I have been following your threads since I will be in Bali (thats on a whole different continent for you haters) and hoping I can figure out how to stream our rematch with the Phins.  The game is likely to be played at a time where no bars are open so some combination of VPN and YouTubeTV, SundayTicket, or shady streaming site is my best bet.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I have been following your threads since I will be in Bali (thats on a whole different continent for you haters) and hoping I can figure out how to stream our rematch with the Phins.  The game is likely to be played at a time where no bars are open so some combination of VPN and YouTubeTV, SundayTicket, or shady streaming site is my best bet.  

Their website says that NFL Game Pass International is available in Indonesia.  It has a 7 day free trial....though not sure if that works the same late in the season.

https://support.nflgamepass.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360004691153-Where-is-NFL-Game-Pass-available-

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.