Opinion: Troy Aikman didn't go far enough

Beck Water

https://www.jsonline.com/story/opinion/columnist/2022/10/12/nfl-troy-aikman-roughing-passer-tom-brady-derek-carr-football/10467362002/

"Troy Aikman wants NFL to 'take the dresses off.' Why stop there? Just play the game nude."  👀 👀

This guy is kidding....isn't he?

"

While many labeled the legendary Dallas Cowboys quarterback’s comment sexist, I think Aikman might be on to something that could better protect all NFL players. I’m referring, of course, to playing the game of football wearing helmets, and nothing else.

Take the dresses off? Heck, why not just lose the pads and shirts and stretchy man-trousers and cleats and socks and the whole ensemble? 

Wrap me up in heavy pads and I’ll gladly run full-tilt into another human being. But pop a helmet on my head and leave the rest of me al fresco and I’m thinking twice about running too hard into anything.

An all-nude football league would mean every player has something at stake – several somethings, in fact."

"The new NFL – Nude Football League – could also leverage this sensible, Aikman-inspired approach to reach out to new audiences. Watching 22 uniformed, pad-clad men running around the field knocking the tuna salad out of each other is one thing. Watching 22 men doing all that naked? That’s an entirely different show.

The slogan possibilities are endless: “Same Great Game, Now With EVERYTHING on the Line”; “Like Chippendale’s, Only More Jiggly”; “Are You Ready for Some Skin, and Also Football?”

------------------

....my gut hurts from laughing so much, but I gotta say....while some players might break the internet, not quite sure I'm ready for nude Orlando Brown or nude Tim Settle.

We're mostly all guys here. We all understand locker room talk, especially those that played sports. 

How could any of us sit here and allow Aikman to be cancelled because he spoke the way we've spoke ourselves our entire lives? 

If your generation wants to be a bunch of dress wearing guys, whatever. But our generation doesn't have to submit to you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 2

Longtime concussion recipient Troy Aikman has decided the National Football League is doing too much to stop players from brain-damaging each other, saying during Monday night’s game that the league should “take the dresses off” when it comes to roughing-the-passer penalties.

Yeah that's pretty good.

I'm hearing that this comment was misogynistic but I took it as a progressive comment.  Aikman's more woke than the Karen's scolding him, he fully realizes anybody can wear a dress nowadays. 

Weirdly though it's not even Karen's scolding him, it looks like it's all dudes on Twitter for the most part. What's a male Karen, nowadays? A Kevin?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/opinion/columnist/2022/10/12/nfl-troy-aikman-roughing-passer-tom-brady-derek-carr-football/10467362002/

"Troy Aikman wants NFL to 'take the dresses off.' Why stop there? Just play the game nude."  👀 👀

This guy is kidding....isn't he?

"

While many labeled the legendary Dallas Cowboys quarterback’s comment sexist, I think Aikman might be on to something that could better protect all NFL players. I’m referring, of course, to playing the game of football wearing helmets, and nothing else.

Take the dresses off? Heck, why not just lose the pads and shirts and stretchy man-trousers and cleats and socks and the whole ensemble? 

Wrap me up in heavy pads and I’ll gladly run full-tilt into another human being. But pop a helmet on my head and leave the rest of me al fresco and I’m thinking twice about running too hard into anything.

An all-nude football league would mean every player has something at stake – several somethings, in fact."

"The new NFL – Nude Football League – could also leverage this sensible, Aikman-inspired approach to reach out to new audiences. Watching 22 uniformed, pad-clad men running around the field knocking the tuna salad out of each other is one thing. Watching 22 men doing all that naked? That’s an entirely different show.

The slogan possibilities are endless: “Same Great Game, Now With EVERYTHING on the Line”; “Like Chippendale’s, Only More Jiggly”; “Are You Ready for Some Skin, and Also Football?”

------------------

....my gut hurts from laughing so much, but I gotta say....while some players might break the internet, not quite sure I'm ready for nude Orlando Brown or nude Tim Settle.

At least now when Brown or Settle move somewhere, everything moves more or less at the same time.  No telling how long it would take the trailing parts to catch up with the leading parts if there was no uniform to bind everything together.

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

We're mostly all guys here. We all understand locker room talk, especially those that played sports. 

How could any of us sit here and allow Aikman to be cancelled because he spoke the way we've spoke ourselves our entire lives? 

If your generation wants to be a bunch of dress wearing guys, whatever. But our generation doesn't have to submit to you. 

Uh...remind me which generation started the dress-wearing trend...

• SDS locked this topic