The Minkah Theft - Question?

17 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Very embarrassing for Minka Fitzpatrick if he had established enough control for possession to then have it ripped out of his grip by Davis.

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I promise you, he was very embarrassed watching film today. 

He was playing hurt, not sure how embarrassed he has to be...

Great question. I see numerous replays and continue to wonder who had  possession, when they established possession, and when the play was officially over. Does tie go to WR? It looked to me like Fitzpatrick had possession with two feet down before Davis wrestled it away. I don’t care to know the actual answers, it’s just an interesting debate.

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

Great question. I see numerous replays and continue to wonder who had  possession, when they established possession, and when the play was officially over. Does tie go to WR? It looked to me like Fitzpatrick had possession with two feet down before Davis wrestled it away. I don’t care to know the actual answers, it’s just an interesting debate.

Possession and two feet down doesn't matter unless he was OOB or down by contact.  They were still running and the play was still in progress, and Gabe always had a hand on the ball.  Once they cross the goal line, possession would have to be clear for either player to have a catch.  Gabe ended the play with both hands on the ball in the endzone, and neither player was down by contact.

-dtb-

• Like (+1) 1

Gabe Davis got one hand on the ball then as he was pulling it down and getting his second hand on the ball, Fitzpatrick got his hands on the ball.  While both had their hands on the ball, Fitzpatrick managed to pull the ball to his body.  Davis never let go of the ball with either hand.  Then Davis yanked the ball away from him securing sole possession. Fitzpatrick appeared to have the upper hand as they crossed the goal line, but it was still being contested.  I don't know the exact wording of the rule about possession, but that's what I saw.  I'm assuming that because they were still contesting when they crossed into the end zone, possession had not been established even though Fitzpatrick had pulled the ball to his body.  It was not until Davis yanked the ball away that any had clear possession.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.