Mass Shooting at 4th of July Parade

6 Dead, 24 Wounded in Shooting at Highland Park Fourth of July Parade. Shooter at Large.

At least six people were killed and approximately two dozen others were "seriously injured" Monday morning in a shooting at Highland Park's Independence Day parade, officials confirmed, urging residents to continue to "shelter in place" as the gunman remains at large.

The shooting happened at 10:14 a.m. in the area of Central Avenue and 2nd Street in downtown Highland Park during the city's Fourth of July parade, authorities said.

The gunman, who has not yet been identified and whose location is currently unknown, was described by Highland Park police as a white man between 18 and 20 years old with a small build and "longer" black hair. He is wearing a white or blue T-shirt, according to Highland Park Police Cmdr. Chris O'Neill.

22 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Catch this SOAB & make him a example hang him in the public square you want recognition or your 15 minutes of fame give them SOAB's their recognition on their last day alive then maybe others will think twice about doing this kind of BS .

But it's the guns fault ban the guns ...🙄

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Catch this SOAB & make him a example hang him in the public square you want recognition or your 15 minutes of fame give them SOAB's their recognition on their last day alive then maybe others will think twice about doing this kind of BS .

Without the gun the man on the rooftop is just a man on the rooftop.

With the gun he is a sniper.

It's the gun. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, T master said:

A lot of mass shootings seem to also be suicides. So while it is odd that this guy got away, I’m not sure how much a deterrent public execution would be to those who plan to die as part of their actions anyway. 

19 minutes ago, 716er said:

It's the gun. 

With out the man the gun is just a gun it will sit with no action until the man with a demented mind picks up the gun points it and then lastly pulls the trigger .

Take this POS when caught & proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be guilty and hang the MFer don't give him 3 hots and a cot don't allow the POS any rights what so ever he doesn't in any way deserve to live & in no way should we have to pay for this POS to have every thing such as gyms, books, heat, clothing, & all that comes with incarceration .

Maybe just maybe if you send a strong enough message these ass holes will stop doing such things to innocent people !! But if alls they have to worry about is being given free room & board for the rest of their life they will continue to do what they do .

Because the consequences are easy pickings .

P.S. And this happened in a city with the toughest antigun laws in the nation so is tougher gun laws the answer ????? I'm thinking maybe not .

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, T master said:

P.S. And this happened in a city with the toughest antigun laws in the nation so is tougher gun laws the answer ????? I'm thinking maybe not .

I don’t know much about the gun laws in Highland Park, but about 20 miles away in Chicago, most guns used in crimes come from outside the state.

So the gun laws are reducing the guns purchased in the city from being used in crimes, but the lax laws in neighboring Indiana are flooding the streets with firearms.

If you’re conclusion then, is that the gun laws in one city are not as effective unless similar laws are enacted in neighboring areas, then I’m glad we agree. If Indiana (and Wisconsin) tighten their gun laws, this area of the country would see a reduction in gun violence. 

• Like (+1) 1

This thread is a clear microcosm of the fundamental problem.

most political loyalists have no interest in making this any better, they just want to shout stupid slogans from diametrically opposite entrenchments to appease their master, Instead of engaging in conversation and attempting to find agreeable actions that make things better. 

it can only be tastes great less filling tirades that game nowhere, and they know it… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This thread is a clear microcosm of the fundamental problem.

most political loyalists have no interest in making this any better, they just want to shout stupid slogans from diametrically opposite entrenchments to appease their master, Instead of engaging in conversation and attempting to find agreeable actions that make things better. 

it can only be tastes great less filling tirades that game nowhere, and they know it… 

I would love to find a way to make this better.

We are the only developed country in the world where this happens with this frequency. And yet, so many people claim it’s not the guns. Either Americans are inherently drastically more inclined to violent mental illness, or it’s the prevalence of guns. 

Any discussion that doesn’t center on limiting the access to guns is a distraction. 

10 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I would love to find a way to make this better.

We are the only developed country in the world where this happens with this frequency. And yet, so many people claim it’s not the guns. Either Americans are inherently drastically more inclined to violent mental illness, or it’s the prevalence of guns. 

Any discussion that doesn’t center on limiting the access to guns is a distraction. 

sure, but outright bans on weapon types are non starters for strict constructionists. So now what? 

1 hour ago, 716er said:

It's the gun. 

Without the gun, he would have found another way, just like the people who wear bomb vests…

People have had guns for centuries…mass shootings were never an issue…there is something else going on with modern human psychology, that taking away guns is not going to solve imo…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

sure, but outright bans on weapon types are non starters for strict constructionists. So now what? 

I would start with treating firearms the way we do cars: license and registration with competency tests. 

Requirements can be on a sliding scale based on actual lethality: strict on handguns, less strict on hunting long guns.

Improved tracing for prosecuting straw gun purchases.

Nationwide red flag laws. 

Requirements for safe storage. 

Repeal PLCAA.

Raise the minimum age to 21.

Magazine capacity limits.

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Without the gun, he would have found another way, just like the people who wear bomb vests…

People have had guns for centuries…mass shootings were never an issue…there is something else going on with modern human psychology…

Only in America though? Is your argument that Americans are more inherently problematic than our peers in other countries?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I would start with treating firearms the way we do cars: license and registration with competency tests. 

Requirements can be on a sliding scale based on actual lethality: strict on handguns, less strict on hunting long guns.

Improved tracing for prosecuting straw gun purchases.

Nationwide red flag laws. 

Requirements for safe storage. 

Repeal PLCAA.

Raise the minimum age to 21.

Magazine capacity limits.

Only in America though? Is your argument that Americans are more inherently problematic than our peers in other countries?

i could support much of this. Can we raise the draft and voting age with it?

we do have a cultural problem with guns in America. Gun violence is glorified In music, tv, movies, extremist subculture. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

we do have a cultural problem with guns in America. Gun violence is glorified In music, tv, movies, extremist subculture. 

We definitely have cultural issues around guns here, but other countries consume our pop culture and don’t have these problems, so I’m not sure how much of a driver it is.

I would love to put tighter regulations around firearm marketing though. A lot of the material I’ve seen almost fetishizes guns. Groups like the NRA spend more time talking up the pseudo-military and 2A language than responsible gun ownership and safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

We definitely have cultural issues around guns here, but other countries consume our pop culture and don’t have these problems, so I’m not sure how much of a driver it is.

I would love to put tighter regulations around firearm marketing though. A lot of the material I’ve seen almost fetishizes guns. Groups like the NRA spend more time talking up the pseudo-military and 2A language than responsible gun ownership and safety. 

NRA is definitely complicit, but you can’t vilify that organization without putting the glamorization of gun possession on all the entertainment industry as well. 

When I was a kid playing army in the backyard, it wasn’t the nra making me think guns were cool…. It was Ice T and Dre and Miami Vice, magnum PI. 

there is a cultural problem. There is a access problem. And unfortunately there is a proliferation problem. 

but people need to stop swinging for the fences or nothing and start moving toward incremental progress. 

Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy, Reagan

Culture. 

Get angry, any reason, job loss, taxes, abortion, election results, race, religion, insult, dissed, marriage, noisy parade, ptsd, grab a gun...kill