5th year option, what positions constitute it the most?

Tipster19

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

If you use your 1st rd pick then I think that there is probably just a few positions that utilizes the 5th year option the best. Not all the positions (QB) that I suggest are going to be in play for the Bills this year but more importantly the positions that I don’t suggest are probably the positions one can eliminate the Bills from using their 1st rd pick in this year’s draft.

1. QB

2. CB

3. DL

4. OL

5. WR 

Eliminate? Nah.

Think the Colts might use the 5th year option on Quenton Nelson? The Steelers on Minkah Fitzpatrick?

The fifth year option is only one factor to be used on who you pick in the first. A much more important factor is who is the best player available at a position of need at the spot.

It certainly has an impact. It is a factor. But not nearly enough of a factor to eliminate guys because of the position they play.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Explain Sam Darnold then.

Heh heh heh.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I would love to read that article! Thanks, great stuff!

Tipster, MTC is Movin The Chains, the premiere program from 3-7pm on NFL Radio.  It stars Pat Kirwan, previous front office Mgmt and coach, and Jim Miller, the journeyman QB from among other places the Bears, and Steelers.  He played 14 years.

They have the most creative topics they research and discuss on. The show especially in the off season.  For example they track how many players only signed one year prove it deals and for the third year it’s over 200 given the cap crunch.  

I don’t work for Sirius, but truly enjoy this show when I’m in the car or working on the laptop and need a distraction while working.  This show always has very interesting topics whether I’m or off season.

This is why I bust peoples chops lightly when they bring up moronic hot takes from ESPN as these guys phone in their dialogue.  Many of the hosts really do hw. Before they get on the show.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Explain Sam Darnold then.

Easy answer.  It’s the dumpster fire otherwise known as the Jests.  Oh, and Carolina.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Eliminate? Nah.

Think the Colts might use the 5th year option on Quenton Nelson? The Steelers on Minkah Fitzpatrick?

The fifth year option is only one factor to be used on who you pick in the first. A much more important factor is who is the best player available at a position of need at the spot.

It certainly has an impact. It is a factor. But not nearly enough of a factor to eliminate guys because of the position they play.

Heh heh heh.

To clarify, I’d say the OT not necessarily G and C.  DEs typically get the 5th yr option more frequently than the DT,

but sometimes.

They can always choose the 5th on a 1st RD RB  just squeeze one more yr out of the guy before they move on from him and raft their next one.

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

If you use your 1st rd pick then I think that there is probably just a few positions that utilizes the 5th year option the best. Not all the positions (QB) that I suggest are going to be in play for the Bills this year but more importantly the positions that I don’t suggest are probably the positions one can eliminate the Bills from using their 1st rd pick in this year’s draft.

1. QB

2. CB

3. DL

4. OL

5. WR 

so punter is out?

If you take a guy in the first round and they perform to expectations, the 5th year option is almost certainly worth it, regardless of position.  The problem children are the ones that show flashes and don’t get over the hump per say.  You don’t want a guy who is a reasonable starter that flashes occasionally and is non-existent other times.   The Bills found themselves in this pickle with Edmunds and I would argue Oliver as well.  You may not want to lose them, but guaranteeing them is also more than you want. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Bucky Brooks was intimating that if you looked at this draft regardless of position, cornerbacks and safeties would be at the top of this draft. In other words, he’s saying that DL and OL are more desired positions. I don’t know if they are just plain out more valuable or just harder to find?

I know the safety position isn’t included in most valuable position lists but CB certainly does. A great shutdown corner is worth their weight in gold in the NFL.

If you’re building a team and you have an outside CB and a DE with the same exact grade, and your needs are the same,  do you take the DL?

Thoughts?

I take the DL but really the only reason I think that is I love great DL… I guess even more than a shutdown corner. Though I cannot come up with a logical reason why.

DE can affect more plays.

CB at best takes away half the field in any given pass play. DE can stop any given pass play from happening.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.