Raiders set to release linebacker Cory Littleton, lol, you guys loved him 3 years ago

HOUSE

image.png.cc72986930def595eca10a43931deacf.png

One of the best Cover LBers in Pro football

Once a high-priced signing with plenty of potential, Cory Littleton fell short of expectations with the Las Vegas Raiders and will be looking for a new club to call home.

The Raiders informed Littleton they'll be releasing him when the new league year begins next week, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday.

On the heels of a Pro Bowl selection in 2018 and a career-high 134 tackles in 2019 with the Los Angeles Rams, Littleton signed a three-year, $35.2 million deal to join the Raiders, but was never able to cash in on the field for the Silver and Black.

image.png.fa0d4c6207fa968faef54982fa2102b9.png

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-set-to-release-linebacker-cory-littleton

Just how good is Littleton? In a 2020 article by Ben Linsey of Pro Football Focus, he named the top-25 linebacker entering the upcoming season. Littleton appeared on the list, finishing at No. 8 in the rankings. Take a look at what Linsey had to say about the Pro Bowl linebacker:

Rams

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/25/pff-raiders-lb-cory-littleton-ranked-as-the-no-8-linebacker-entering-season/

Edited by HOUSE

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

One of the best Cover LBers in Pro football

Once a high-priced signing with plenty of potential, Cory Littleton fell short of expectations with the Las Vegas Raiders and will be looking for a new club to call home.

The Raiders informed Littleton they'll be releasing him when the new league year begins next week, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday.

On the heels of a Pro Bowl selection in 2018 and a career-high 134 tackles in 2019 with the Los Angeles Rams, Littleton signed a three-year, $35.2 million deal to join the Raiders, but was never able to cash in on the field for the Silver and Black.

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-set-to-release-linebacker-cory-littleton

Just how good is Littleton? In a recent article by Ben Linsey of Pro Football Focus, he named the top-25 linebacker entering the upcoming season. Littleton appeared on the list, finishing at No. 8 in the rankings. Take a look at what Linsey had to say about the Pro Bowl linebacker:

Rams

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/25/pff-raiders-lb-cory-littleton-ranked-as-the-no-8-linebacker-entering-season/

They’re probably using him wrong and they don’t have a good enough DL in front of him.  Also he MADE A PRO BOWL (second team All Pro!) and is still really young for a player drafted in 2016.  He is basically still a rookie.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

They’re probably using him wrong and they don’t have a good enough DL in front of him.  Also he MADE A PRO BOWL (second team All Pro!) and is still really young for a player drafted in 2016.  He is basically still a rookie.

A  LB who's has MADE (2) PRO BOWL who is still really young (basically still a rookie) for when he was drafted but hasn't yet cashed it in on the field?

Hmmmmm.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Still a rookie at age 28, hunh? Yeah, um, that's a pretty bad observation, in every way.

And another real swift take when you say that the DLs in front of him weren't good enough. I mean, all he had in front of him was a much younger Ndamakong Suh that year when he played great. Yeah, I'll bet the Rams were crying in their beer all the time saying,  "Boy, if we could only get a good 1-tech ahead of Littleton. I mean we only had Suh. If only we could've traded for Lotulelei. 

Yeah, great comparison. Swift as a glued-down turtle.

You can see why the Rams let him go. Their defense was 20th and 17th with him. I mean, it isn't like he made two Pro Bowls. Why wouldn't they look to upgrade the defense. It ain't as if he was the captain of one of the best defenses in football three years in a row.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Still a rookie at age 28, hunh? Yeah, um, that's a pretty bad observation, in every way. 

You can see why the Rams let him go. Their defense was 20th and 17th with him. I mean, it isn't like he made two Pro Bowls. Why wouldn't they look to upgrade the defense. It ain't as if he was the captain of one of the best defenses in football three years in a row.

Pop Tv Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 8

29 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

If the 5th year option wasn’t guaranteed I think McBeane would have to think long and hard about cutting Edmunds loose.  

Beane (this week):  I love Tremaine. People don't understand what he does for us. Yes, he is "definitely" a "core building block moving forward."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Beane (this week):  I love Tremaine. People don't understand what he does for us. Yes, he is "definitely" a "core building block moving forward."

I completely understand what he does...

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why isn’t he signed to an extension yet?  And last year they took Edmunds 5th year option decision right up to the 11th hour.  Beane already said he’s exercising Oliver’s 2 months before he has to.  That’s not a sign of love.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why isn’t he signed to an extension yet?  And last year they took Edmunds 5th year option decision right up to the 11th hour.  Beane already said he’s exercising Oliver’s 2 months before he has to.  That’s not a sign of love.  

Cuz he's a real GM, with a better feel for this team vs. a fan making decisions. News flash: Beane is pretty good at his job. I'm including myself in the fan group. Beane knows better than me.

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Edited by Dopey

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Cuz he's a real GM, with a better feel for this team vs. a fan making decisions. News flash: Beane is pretty good at his job.

Never said he wasn’t.  Just seems there’s people who cling to something Beane says as some kind of validation for their favorite players.  Beane also said he expected Beasley back with the team a month ago.  He’s not gonna say something publicly that’s gonna tip off or restrict what he can do with a player under contract.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Never said he wasn’t.  Just seems there’s people who cling to something Beane says as some kind of validation for their favorite players.  Beane also said he expected Beasley back with the team a month ago.  He’s not gonna say something publicly that’s gonna tip off or restrict what he can do with a player under contract.  

I hear you on the Beane quotes. I don't pay too much attention to that. You're right, he has to be careful what he says. To the Edmunds contract, I trust Beane has a plan. Maybe waiting for the FA chips/money to play out. Also waiting on the new cap increase, maybe.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

And another real swift take when you say that the DLs in front of him weren't good enough. I mean, all he had in front of him was a much younger Ndamakong Suh that year when he played great. Yeah, I'll bet the Rams were crying in their beer all the time saying,  "Boy, if we could only get a good 1-tech ahead of Littleton. I mean we only had Suh. If only we could've traded for Lotulelei. 

Yeah, great comparison. Swift as a glued-down turtle.

Reel It In Hook Line And Sinker GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.