Nuclear Diplomacy

Tiberius

So Putin has made thinly veiled threats already and has put his nuclear forces on some sort of "alert." 

Is he just playing out the madman theory to intimidate the world? Or might he actually use nuke? 

Maybe he uses a tactical nuclear weapon in far off Eastern Ukraine, what he considers his own territory. He uses it to obliterate a section of the armed forces there. 

Would we respond to that with a nuke? 

42 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So Putin has made thinly veiled threats already and has put his nuclear forces on some sort of "alert." 

Is he just playing out the madman theory to intimidate the world? Or might he actually use nuke? 

Maybe he uses a tactical nuclear weapon in far off Eastern Ukraine, what he considers his own territory. He uses it to obliterate a section of the armed forces there. 

Would we respond to that with a nuke? 

it’s hard to believe right now this whole issue revolves around one guy. He needs to be exterminated or removed from power. Jezus no more world leaders past retirement age please 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

It doesn’t help that U.S. political and military leaders tend to be extremely jingoistic and immoral people. A significant portion of them are probably clinical sociopaths, too.

I couldn't disagree more.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Yeah, I would think almost certainly. Nuclear war game simulations show that escalation becomes frighteningly easy once nukes (tactical or strategic) are first released. Humans tend to lose some of their risk assessment capabilities when entering high-stress situations involving provocation and time constraints. It doesn’t help that U.S. political and military leaders tend to be extremely jingoistic and immoral people. A significant portion of them are probably clinical sociopaths, too.

In the case of Putin, I don’t think he is a “madman,” per se, but I do think he is quite capable of using nukes. Rational actors can behave irrationally. One of the most vital components of good nuclear diplomacy involves the obvious winning side giving the obvious losing side a chance to save face. Imagine the likely late-stage scenario for Putin where he encounters strong internal pressure from the Russian oligarchs and the Russian people fed up with the global sanctions’ effects. Facing a humiliating defeat, increased personal isolation, and a possible assassination, Putin could easily lash out with a wildly disproportionate military response. At that point, all that may stand between Vlad’s ego and the red button may be a small handful of Stanislav Petro types. This is partly why I believe NATO shouldn’t be overly punitive (also, see: Germany’s WW2 response to Treaty of Versailles!) and should instead heed Russia’s many complaints regarding NATO advancements, the Minsk agreements, foreign meddling in Ukrainian politics, Zelensky’s free speech suppression, etc.

I agree with allowing Putin to save face and for Russia not being punished long term with sanctions, but it must also be remembered that he is not to be trusted. I think a relaxing of many sanctions in return for him leaving Ukraine should be openly put out there. The Nazis used the reparations regime for great propaganda, we shouldn’t create same type of situation. 

But, I think Putin is going to face a horrible defeat no matter what. He has beached a whale which might murder a lot of people before it finally sprays blood (like a harpooned whale) but it will be destroyed if it tries to conquer Ukraine. I don’t see how they possibly win. 

The world is supplying the Ukrainian defense now. If Putin loses it will because of western assistance and he knows that. 

Will he go nuclear after he clearly has nothing nothing more than a ruined hulk of an army? 

Of course thats how I see events drifting, but the future is a locked door no one can see behind 

On 2/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, Albwan said:

The op seems almost giddy over this whole situation. 

That one is super mentally and cognitively  challenged but as an open community we let them get out the words here and avoid hard feelings.

It is good to know how crazy works

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Westside said:

How the hell did I miss this gem of a thread? Started by PPP’s version of Col. Klink?

Hey Sweet Pea 

8 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

What is the pulitburo doing for crying out loud.  Send him to the gulag.

They are all his chosen stooges 

Well if it comes to lobbing nukes we Boomers are well prepared.  I bought me one of these to save my life.  All that duck and cover training may finally be put to good use. 

A6A234B3-0683-4DBA-B101-37650BCA3D05.jpeg

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 3/1/2022 at 6:46 PM, Tiberius said:

I agree with allowing Putin to save face and for Russia not being punished long term with sanctions, but it must also be remembered that he is not to be trusted. I think a relaxing of many sanctions in return for him leaving Ukraine should be openly put out there. The Nazis used the reparations regime for great propaganda, we shouldn’t create same type of situation. 

But, I think Putin is going to face a horrible defeat no matter what. He has beached a whale which might murder a lot of people before it finally sprays blood (like a harpooned whale) but it will be destroyed if it tries to conquer Ukraine. I don’t see how they possibly win. 

The world is supplying the Ukrainian defense now. If Putin loses it will because of western assistance and he knows that. 

Will he go nuclear after he clearly has nothing nothing more than a ruined hulk of an army? 

Of course thats how I see events drifting, but the future is a locked door no one can see behind 

lol, I'm going to guess the propaganda you're reading/watching about this war is less accurate than the propaganda i'm reading/watching.

• Thank you (+1) 1