Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 2.0 - Bills take Treylon Burks: 3.0 - Bills take Breece Hall

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not surprising.  40 years ago, 60 years ago, 50 years ago 40 years ago.  How many titles between them?  How about a Rb in the last 10 years?  20 years, Chris Johnson….titles galore. 

Didn’t your question read … Name all the “All Time Great Running Backs”  that ran under a 4.4 40? 

5 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Didn’t your question read … Name all the “All Time Great Running Backs”  that ran under a 4.4 40? 

Yes……I’m showing you how little running under a 4.4 means in regard to rb success.  And you had to go back 40-60 years to answer the question with 4 guys.  The running backs you named didn’t even run at the combine and we don’t know how fast they were.  Bo was reported 4.22 on a private track.  Oj ran a 4.7 according to the interwebs……. Hershel would've been under 4.4 I’m sure, but I wouldn’t call him great.  Gale never ran a 40.  

chris Johnson, Jonathan Taylor.  Impressive.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes……I’m showing you how little running under a 4.4 means in regard to rb success.  And you had to go back 40-60 years to answer the question with 4 guys.  The running backs you named didn’t even run at the combine and we don’t know how fast they were.  Bo was reported 4.22 on a private track.  Oj ran a 4.7 according to the interwebs……. Hershel would've been under 4.4 I’m sure, but I wouldn’t call him great.  Gale never ran a 40.  

chris Johnson, Jonathan Taylor.  Impressive.  

How about Barry Sanders?  And I am still waiting on that list of over 4.65 40 all time greats… go back as far as you like. 

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

The 2021 Rams had 800+ yards out of Michel, almost 700 yards from Henderson, and Akers had 5 carries all year. 1500+ yards from your #2 and #3 RBs are hardly an ideal argument for you. I’d imagine if they could have, Akers would have been huge in their plans all year. 

The 2020 Bucs had almost 1,000 yards with Jones, and almost another 400 out of Fournette. 

The 2018 Pats had 900+ out of Michel. 400+ out of White, Burkhead and Patterson with right around 200 each. 

The 2017 Pats had 896 out of Lewis, almost 400 out of Gillislee, and another 200 or so out of Burkhead and White. 

And the losers of those SBs all had very good running games too

the 2021 Bengals had over 1,200 with Mixon

the 2020 Chiefs had CEH who also missed 3 games and still had 800 yards. 

The 2018 Rams had over 1,200 with Gurley

The 2017 Eagles, and the 2019 49ers were really the only ones on that list that didn’t have clear cut number 1 RBs. Of course they all had other players running the ball and being effective. They are Super Bowl teams. Jeez. It’s not rocket science. But as I pointed out. Having a 1,000 yard back, or very close to a 1,000 yard back is almost essential. I understand the want and desire to not take balls away from your other playmakers like Allen, Diggs, Davis, etc. but it appears that having a good RB that can get close to 1,000 yards takes pressure off the passing game, keeps defenses honest, and creates the need to gameplan for everything. Devin Singletary will still be a decent back. He will still be capable of putting up yards and being counted on. Just like every one of those teams you mentioned having multiple backs. But the offenses with good backs are just as dynamic or more then those without one. 

He’s not talking about a teams run game success.  You’re proving his point for him.    He’s saying that super bowl teams don’t require elite running backs.  That teams can (and do) make and win Super Bowls with decent backs….not elite backs.  Continue to make his point.  I’m sure he appreciates it

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

The 2021 Rams had 800+ yards out of Michel, almost 700 yards from Henderson, and Akers had 5 carries all year. 1500+ yards from your #2 and #3 RBs are hardly an ideal argument for you. I’d imagine if they could have, Akers would have been huge in their plans all year. 

The 2020 Bucs had almost 1,000 yards with Jones, and almost another 400 out of Fournette. 

The 2018 Pats had 900+ out of Michel. 400+ out of White, Burkhead and Patterson with right around 200 each. 

The 2017 Pats had 896 out of Lewis, almost 400 out of Gillislee, and another 200 or so out of Burkhead and White. 

And the losers of those SBs all had very good running games too

the 2021 Bengals had over 1,200 with Mixon

the 2020 Chiefs had CEH who also missed 3 games and still had 800 yards. 

The 2018 Rams had over 1,200 with Gurley

The 2017 Eagles, and the 2019 49ers were really the only ones on that list that didn’t have clear cut number 1 RBs. Of course they all had other players running the ball and being effective. They are Super Bowl teams. Jeez. It’s not rocket science. But as I pointed out. Having a 1,000 yard back, or very close to a 1,000 yard back is almost essential. I understand the want and desire to not take balls away from your other playmakers like Allen, Diggs, Davis, etc. but it appears that having a good RB that can get close to 1,000 yards takes pressure off the passing game, keeps defenses honest, and creates the need to gameplan for everything. Devin Singletary will still be a decent back. He will still be capable of putting up yards and being counted on. Just like every one of those teams you mentioned having multiple backs. But the offenses with good backs are just as dynamic or more then those without one. 

Singletary had 870 yards and 7 TDs last year though.. that is close to 1000 yards.  I also don't think there is really much correspondence between running back usage and success.  4 running backs had over 250 carries last year - 1 made the playoffs.  

Beyond that - you have the massive amount of running back injuries.  Dobbins, Etienne, Henry, CMC, Barkley, Chubb/hunt, zeke, cook, kamara.  They all missed time last year.  

I am fine with adding a running back to the room, i just think we have an injured #1 CB and the rest are very young.  Cornerback needs to be prioritized in the first couple rounds.  The other is along the offensive line, where improvements will help both allen and the running game.  Watching teams trade Adams, and now hill in the last 2 weeks, i'm also not opposed to WR.  

Let's not forget the Bills were REALLY high on Travis Etienne last year and he very well could have been the pick if Jax didn't take him before us. He was clearly looking for a homerun hitter out of the backfield. Breece Hall has 3 years' worth of REALLY good college production. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield. He could be that RB threat they are looking for this year. I would not be surprised if Beane did this, especially if Tre is doing well in his rehab and Bates is retained. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/breece-hall-1.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Singletary had 870 yards and 7 TDs last year though.. that is close to 1000 yards.  I also don't think there is really much correspondence between running back usage and success.  4 running backs had over 250 carries last year - 1 made the playoffs.  

Beyond that - you have the massive amount of running back injuries.  Dobbins, Etienne, Henry, CMC, Barkley, Chubb/hunt, zeke, cook, kamara.  They all missed time last year.  

I am fine with adding a running back to the room, i just think we have an injured #1 CB and the rest are very young.  Cornerback needs to be prioritized in the first couple rounds.  The other is along the offensive line, where improvements will help both allen and the running game.  Watching teams trade Adams, and now hill in the last 2 weeks, i'm also not opposed to WR.  

I won’t disagree with the need for a CB and a IOL and WR early in the draft (unless we pick up some more vets cheap). And I don’t advocate for taking a RB in Rd1 because of those needs. But the fact remains, we don’t have a RB on this team that is good enough. Singletary is fine. But he’s anything but a feature back. “Almost 1,000” is not a legitimate argument when your talking about a back that has his best year ever and was still over 2 games away from reaching that goal. Oh, and he did that in a 17 game season. Take away his average per game and he would have finished with 819 yards. That’s not exactly game breaking. 

I’m not saying we have a need for a 300+ carry back a year. I’m saying we have a need that can get more out of his limited usage. I’m saying we need a RB that can do everything and is a 3 down back. Rushing. Receiving. Blocking. Has the ability to take the ball to the house on any given play. A RB that defensive coordinators have to account for. Motor does none of that at a very high level. 

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s not talking about a teams run game success.  You’re proving his point for him.    He’s saying that super bowl teams don’t require elite running backs.  That teams can (and do) make and win Super Bowls with decent backs….not elite backs.  Continue to make his point.  I’m sure he appreciates it

My point, which you are jaded by your hatred for me (makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside), Was made. My point is that the majority of SB teams since 1999, have had lead backs. Being an “elite back” has nothing to do with it. Having a back that is capable of doing everything on the field and not having to substitute for another is the goal. Singletary is not a speed back. He is not a goal line back. He does not scare defenses in any way. Which all hinders Allen and the offense because teams don’t have the need to stack boxes against us. Or gameplan for a RB that moves out of the backfield into the slot, or out wide. 

thanks for the warm and fuzzies. Glad to know I’m still on your mind. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

If we actually wanted Breece Hall, then we could definitely trade down to as far as 34 and still get him. I could see the Jets at 35 going for RB. The other teams in between are Titans, Bucs, Packers, Chiefs, Bengals, Lions, Jags who are unlikely to draft RB.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Breece hall is 6’1 220 with 4.39 speed.  In case you didn’t know. 

But he isn't the number 1 prospect according to PFF.  They have Kenneth Walker.

Anyways, I preferred the first mock when they had the Bills getting Treylon Burks.  With WRs getting ridiculously expensive, it's worth the shot to try and home grow a really good one.

Our FA isn't done, Beane still has a little CB magic he's been holding onto.

Just now, mrags said:

I won’t disagree with the need for a CB and a IOL abs WR early in the draft (unless we pick up some more vets cheap). And I don’t advocate for taking a RB in Rd1 because of those needs. But the fact remains, we don’t have a B on this team that is good enough. Singletary is fine. But he’s anything but a feature back. “Almost 1,000” is not a legitimate argument when your talking about a back that has his best year ever and was still over 2 games away from reaching that goal. Oh, and he did that in a 17 game season. Take away his average per game and he would have finished with 819 yards. That’s not exactly game breaking. 

I’m not saying we have a need for a 300+ carry back a year. I’m saying we have a need that can get more out of his limited usage. I’m saying we need a RB that can do everything and is a 3 down back. Rushing. Receiving. Blocking. Has the ability to take the ball to the house on any given play. A RB that defensive coordinators have to account for. Motor does none of that at a very high level. 

My point, which you are jaded by your hatred for me (makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside), Was made. My point is that the majority of SB teams since 1999, have had lead backs. Being an “elite back” has nothing to do with it. Having a back that is capable of doing everything on the field and not having to substitute for another is the goal. Singletary is not a speed back. He is not a goal like back. He does not scare defenses in any way. Which all hinders Allen and the offense because teams don’t have the need to stack boxes against us. Or gameplan for a RB that moves out of the backfield into the slot, or out wide. 

thanks for the warm and fuzzies. Glad to know I’m still on your mind. 

Lol….I hate you? You take this too seriously I suppose. Do you. 

yeah, we were really hindered last year…..when the OL had their heads up their *****.  When they got their **** together, the run game was just fine.  Our lack of talent @ running back had nothing to do with us losing to the chiefs.  

Motor was a better rb than the cam Akers we saw in the playoffs. He was nowhere near 💯….yet they won the super bowl.  

The Bucs had a dominant OL, the best qb ever, the best WRs in the league and a monster D……fournette is and was good. He’s better than motor.  They didn’t need him to win the super bowl. 

the chiefs had Damian Williams.  Yup.  

the pats had Michel.  Jag.

the eagles had who?  Mmhmm.

blount, Cj Anderson, just keep going and going.  The backs that win SB are average starting running backs in most cases. Most of those teams had good to great OL

and a star qb…..while RB could be filled By most starting RBs in the league.  

sure….we could upgrade motor.  No doubt.  He’s not a great rb.  But he improved a great deal in 2022 and is worthy of being a starter on a team that can’t afford to pay big bucks or waste a 1st rd pick on a RB.  

He’s good enough to make you pay when left alone.  He showed that last year when we started to lean on him.  He thrived in the goal line at the end of the year and was scoring TD after TD when given the opportunity.  He was catching balls out of the backfield and making teams pay.  

but like you said….we shouldn’t draft a Rb @ 25.  Nice talk.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But he isn't the number 1 prospect according to PFF.  They have Kenneth Walker.

Anyways, I preferred the first mock when they had the Bills getting Treylon Burks.  With WRs getting ridiculously expensive, it's worth the shot to try and home grow a really good one.

Our FA isn't done, Beane still has a little CB magic he's been holding onto.

Agree - 2 just got dumped from super bowl contenders in the window.  Diggs is gonna want a massive raise and its better to have a backup plan in place.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.